Toast All hail the Chief. New AFL legend inductee!

Remove this Banner Ad

Big night tonight. Congrats to Bung. Amazing player and astute, charming and funny off the field. Look forward to watching him accept the elevation tonight.
I was always under the impression from various stories and comments over the years that Bunga was a bit of an aloof character and didn't have much time for fans.
Glad to hear that seems not to be the case.

I was always under the impression from various stories and comments over the years that Bunga was a bit of an aloof character and didn't have much time for fans.
I used to go to training ‘back in the day’ - he always seemed pretty focused and wound tight.

His rep in the media business is of a great colleague, astute analyser, Hawks nut, and some fame for willing to stand up to those who think they’re bigger than the game.

And he got us Clarko. 😜

Didn't have time for entitled fans
Had all the time for respectful fans

Only ever saw him remonstrate with an opponent once- Rod Grinter at Waverley after receiving repeated punches to the back of the head. Was there the day handed off his would be record equaling 18th goal against Richmond. And saw his coming of age game, where he led Bruce Doull a merry dance in the 1986 GF. Thanks for the memories JD.

Dunstall was always team first, before individual accolades. Plugger has no option but to be the player to finish. Ablett was him self first, everything else second.

It’s why I rate Dunstall above the other 2, but it is hard to split between both Dunstall and Locket though.

I have heard a good deal of disappointing stories about him in social situations. Aloof was probably the lightest word used to describe him. From what I've heard I don't reckon he's someone I'd like to have a beer with, but an absolute gun footballer.

How many Goal Assists would be have given off?

I'd never want to change the way he played but reckon 1,250 could have been 1,500+ with the amount he created & gave away.
This is one thing I've always wondered. I've seen a lot of old games from different teams over the years and he did seem to set up far more than Plugger and Sr. Unfortunately assists weren't tracked until quite recently, in the grand scheme of things. Same with contested marks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An undisputed legend of the game. But interestingly i have him on equal weighting to the likes of Derm, Dipper, the Rat, Ayres, Langford, Tuck. They're all legends in my book.

Highlight of the night for mine was seeing Sticks' face after hearing he could've been a Carlton player.

Last edited:
One thing Dunstall did that I don’t think I’ve ever seen any other player be able to do was lead at full pace then make a sideways mid air dive at the ball and mark it arms outstretched whilst he was perpendicular to the ground.

That’s actually crazy difficult but he could do it week in week out.

He was an underrated athlete, sure he would run last in the 5km time trial but I’ve rarely seen a guy as strong as he was (and he was crazy strong) with that level of body control.

One thing Dunstall did that I don’t think I’ve ever seen any other player be able to do was lead at full pace then make a sideways mid air dive at the ball and mark it arms outstretched whilst he was perpendicular to the ground.

That’s actually crazy difficult but he could do it week in week out.

He was an underrated athlete, sure he would run last in the 5km time trial but I’ve rarely seen a guy as strong as he was (and he was crazy strong) with that level of body control.

Unless you saw that live, it’s difficult to understand or picture I reckon. It was truly phenomenal, nobody I’ve seen play the game has come close to marking like he could. You’d watch the ball move around in the air and wobble left or right, yet it somehow ended up in his outstretched hands pretty much every time. He was like a ballistic human vacuum cleaner that drew the ball to him.

Ridiculous as that sounds.

An undisputed legend of the game. But interestingly i have him on equal weighting to the likes of Derm, Dipper, the Rat, Ayres, Langford, Tuck. They're all legends in my book.

Highlight of the night for mine was seeing Sticks' face after hearing he could've been a Carlton player.
Yeah, what do you think he was saying as he whispered over his shoulder?

I have heard a good deal of disappointing stories about him in social situations. Aloof was probably the lightest word used to describe him. From what I've heard I don't reckon he's someone I'd like to have a beer with, but an absolute gun footballer.
I’ve always admired JD but I kind of got the vibe that he wasn’t the most loved guy in the room there last night.

On a side note the AFL made a balls up on the night with their tribute of players that have passed away in the last 12 months. Mick Porter who played in the 71 flag is still alive and well. Must have gotten a shock to see that he was no longer with us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back