All things ROK (We don't need multiple threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

bluesforever

Club Legend
Suspended
Nov 24, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Carlton
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/afl/story/0,27009,24473755-5016140,00.html

SWANS star Ryan O'Keefe is heading for the AFL pre-season draft and a future at either Essendon or Port Adelaide unless Carlton can come up with a deal to satisfy Sydney before today's 2pm trade deadline. Talk of the Swans' star forward set to join 2008 premiers Hawthorn was just that - all talk - with a source close to O'Keefe revealing the Hawks were never in the picture during trade week.

Reports out of Hawthorn that O'Keefe wanted to be in Hawks colours next season and was even prepared to accept less money than the Swans' $1.4 million deal over three years after meeting with their coach Alastair Clarkson and chief executive Ian Robson in Sydney on Wednesday afternoon simply weren't true.

"Ryan was never going to Hawthorn, period," the source said. "He never had any desire to play for the Hawks."

O'Keefe has made it clear to Swans coach Paul Roos that he wants to go to Carlton after backing out of a verbal agreement over a new lucrative deal, and Sydney remain adamant they want at least a first-round draft pick in return.

The problem for O'Keefe, who has reportedly put a $600,000 price tag on himself, is that Carlton, who have pick No. 6 overall and have previously stated that it's not up for a trade, haven't even made an initial approach to Sydney.

"I said to Ryan (yesterday) 'they (Carlton) better start talking to us otherwise you are going into the pre-season draft'. Both Essendon and Port Adelaide have indicated to us they would take him in the pre-season draft," Roos said.

With the O'Keefe situation at a stalemate Roos conceded that the Swans need to move quickly today - with or without a deal for O'Keefe - if they are going to salvage anything out of trade week. "We are going to have to work on the assumption that he's going so we will start to look around now, we can't just sit on our hands," he said.

IT'S GANNA BE A VERY INTERESTING DAY.

Re: O'Keefe keen to go to Carlton

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/afl/story/0,27009,24473755-5016140,00.html

SWANS star Ryan O'Keefe is heading for the AFL pre-season draft and a future at either Essendon or Port Adelaide unless Carlton can come up with a deal to satisfy Sydney before today's 2pm trade deadline. Talk of the Swans' star forward set to join 2008 premiers Hawthorn was just that - all talk - with a source close to O'Keefe revealing the Hawks were never in the picture during trade week.

Reports out of Hawthorn that O'Keefe wanted to be in Hawks colours next season and was even prepared to accept less money than the Swans' $1.4 million deal over three years after meeting with their coach Alastair Clarkson and chief executive Ian Robson in Sydney on Wednesday afternoon simply weren't true.

"Ryan was never going to Hawthorn, period," the source said. "He never had any desire to play for the Hawks."

O'Keefe has made it clear to Swans coach Paul Roos that he wants to go to Carlton after backing out of a verbal agreement over a new lucrative deal, and Sydney remain adamant they want at least a first-round draft pick in return.

The problem for O'Keefe, who has reportedly put a $600,000 price tag on himself, is that Carlton, who have pick No. 6 overall and have previously stated that it's not up for a trade, haven't even made an initial approach to Sydney.

"I said to Ryan (yesterday) 'they (Carlton) better start talking to us otherwise you are going into the pre-season draft'. Both Essendon and Port Adelaide have indicated to us they would take him in the pre-season draft," Roos said.

With the O'Keefe situation at a stalemate Roos conceded that the Swans need to move quickly today - with or without a deal for O'Keefe - if they are going to salvage anything out of trade week. "We are going to have to work on the assumption that he's going so we will start to look around now, we can't just sit on our hands," he said.

IT'S GANNA BE A VERY INTERESTING DAY.

I can smell some sneaky tactics from Swann Icke and co and I think I like it.

Declare our interest very late, Swans have little time to move and risk losing him for nothing.

Roos is pragmatic, he will make sure he gets something for ROK, even if he goes very cheap

also this article from the Herald Sun (Mike Sheahan) .............

These journos have no idea ..........

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24473944-19742,00.html

HAWTHORN has told the Sydney Swans it would consider any one of more than a dozen premiership players as a swap for Ryan O'Keefe. Sources said last night the Hawks had said only seven of the premiership 22 were off limits.

When Sydney nominated a player, coach Alastair Clarkson apparently said "no", extending the "untouchables" to eight.

The eight aren't known, but Sam Mitchell, Luke Hodge, Lance Franklin, Jarryd Roughead, Jordan Lewis, Brad Sewell, Campbell Brown and Cyril Rioli would seem a reasonable starting point.

The O'Keefe drama enters its fifth day today, with the Hawks maintaining their interest.

At last call, they are believed to be offering their first draft pick (No. 16) and a player in return for O'Keefe and Sydney's second pick (No. 30).

The situation seems to change by the hour.

Without warning yesterday, the Hawks withdrew their first draft pick (No. 16) as a bargaining chip, citing a change of philosophy and the need to get involved in the draft before the second round and pick 34.

Outsiders suggested they were reacting to player disquiet about O'Keefe coming in on money that would put him at or near the top of player salaries at the premiership club.

The Hawks are known to have addressed the money issue with the group via captain Mitchell and vice-captain Hodge.

Chief executive Ian Robson and general manager of player personnel and strategy Chris Pelchen both told the Herald Sun last night the club had initiated those discussions.

Robson said: "We had a conversation with Mitchell and Hodge, which is the way we do our business with the player group. We would never enter into a transaction to secure a player that could fracture our model."

Pelchen said: "We had discussions with some members of our leadership group to explain our proposal. They didn't come to us and say, 'We don't want Ryan O'Keefe'.

"We have had no backlash on that at all. They were thankful the call had been made, and they respect what the club is doing."

Bottom line, O'Keefe's future remains clouded, with the possibility he might have to reconsider Sydney's offer of an estimated $1.3 million for the next three years, an offer accepted verbally then rejected.

Unlikely, yet not impossible.

O'Keefe reportedly wanted as much as $600,000 a year to join a Melbourne club.

Don't know about sneaky tactics, basically O'Keefe seems to want to go to a club which is in Victoria but is not Melbourne or Essendon, and as Hawthorn lost interest, his best option is staying in Sydney. The article is just Paul Roos saying he can piss off, we're not keeping him - which is where the 'Carlton better start talking' thing comes in. I reckon Swann Icke and co are hardly being sneaky, they just weren't that interested in giving much up.

This will have to work out well for Carlton.

With just a day to go i've read four different articles all in todays papers.
1. Warnock definately via Psd as we wont budge on pick 24.
2. Rok only wants to come to Carlton.
3. Farren Ray is heading to us via a player for player swap.
4. Were still interested in Brad Green.

Geez it could be a different looking Navy Blues runnin out against the tiges round 1.

Declare our interest very late, Swans have little time to move and risk losing him for nothing.

Roos is pragmatic, he will make sure he gets something for ROK, even if he goes very cheap

Very interesting indeed. If Warnock is so rock solid in coming to Carlton lets withdraw #24 from Freo and offer it Sydney for ROK + one or two of Fisher, Bentick, Thornton and Setanta.

If ROK's made his mind up in coming home then this option might just swing with the Swans. Mind you, not sure how the figures look with Warnock nominating a sizable figure to ensure he slips to us via PSD. We'd have to have a fair bit of room in our cap to snag both me thinks. :D

Geez it could be a different looking Navy Blues runnin out against the tiges round 1.

We could have a very very good side as early as next year. Exciting stuff, lets hope atleast 2 of these happen. Won't worry if we don't get Green though.

Very interesting indeed. If Warnock is so rock solid in coming to Carlton lets withdraw #24 from Freo and offer it Sydney for ROK + one or two of Fisher, Bentick, Thornton and Setanta.

If ROK's made his mind up in coming home then this option might just swing with the Swans. Mind you, not sure how the figures look with Warnock nominating a sizable figure to ensure he slips to us via PSD. We'd have to have a fair bit of room in our cap to snag both me thinks. :D

TBH ROK dosnt excite me that much at his age.....irrespective of how good he has been.......#40 + Fisher/Bentick or he goes into PSD........I am looking forward to a Tim Tam crumbling our way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TBH ROK dosnt excite me that much at his age.....irrespective of how good he has been.......#40 + Fisher/Bentick or he goes into PSD........I am looking forward to a Tim Tam crumbling our way

You have to be ****ing kidding me?!

I didn't realise we were trading with Fremantle.

Get dinkum...

You can add Corey Jones to that list...

id swap 6 + bentick/fisher for ROK + 12 in a heartbeat

12 will still pick up a gun in this draft

Im not sold on the guy - but i did notice Mike Sheehan had ROK in his top 50...

Just seems a bit too much $$$ and a little too old.

Pick 6 would more than likely be Ziebell going off a lot of predictions - and he looks the goods.

Who would be left by #12 that has gun potential? Sidebottom perhaps... McKernan as a roughie?

SWANN u magnificent bast#rd !!!!

I heard that we already offered pick 6 but they rejected going by this, wouldn't be surprised if it heads up south today.

Ahhhh let me re-phrase that.. Apparently we offered pick 6 earlier in the week and they rejected... but with the trade deadline closing. Going by this article, O'Keefe wants to come to Carlton so the deal might get done.

Nah i would rather pick 6 than ROK, purely for age. In 4 years when ROK is retired we will be watching zeibill get his first 30 possie, 4 goal game (for sydney)

Ahhhh let me re-phrase that.. Apparently we offered pick 6 earlier in the week and they rejected... but with the trade deadline closing. Going by this article, O'Keefe wants to come to Carlton so the deal might get done.

I hope you mean the 6 / 12 downgrade. 6 on its own would be ridiculous.

Remove this Banner Ad

All things ROK (We don't need multiple threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back