Preview Always Look on the Bright, Side of Life! 1st Elimination Final - Carlton vs. Sydney [Stay Tuned...]

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Always Look on the Bright, Side of Life! 1st Elimination Final - Carlton vs. Sydney [Stay Tuned.

Will be a hard game but there is hope on last week's performance.

I know it sounds crazy, but kicking to advantage to the three amigos should see us kick scrubbers into the forward line :p. Kicking it high inside 50 gives them very little chance. Add to this, our ability to kick slightly to our fwd's advantage is woeful...we either kick it high or favour the defender's side with poor kicking.

On the deck they will win a lot more than they lose.

Worth a try or just plain stupid...actually, don't answer :eek:

Re: Always Look on the Bright, Side of Life! 1st Elimination Final - Carlton vs. Sydney [Stay Tuned.

A team that doesn't have the wood over us.
if a tree falls in a forest..

That means that we had 15 bogey sides over the coarse of 2003-2008? :eek:

Lost the last 5 there, is that right ?

against our BOGEY sides was my point ;) Are Carlton one of our bogey sides? Well no, we have one 9 of the last 10? It works both ways :rolleyes:

Swans have played 10 games there in past 3 years and have won 3.

All 7 losses were against Geelong, Collingwood and St Kilda.

It's getting overblown like Geelong's record at Skilled where they have been playing the mediocre interstate teams and struggling Melb teams there.
thankyou :thumbsu:

I say we give Mclean a game as a late change just so he can run out there to shake Kirk's hand.

That'll throw Sydney off their game and get us the win.

Get the feeling either Jetta or Yarran/Garlett will have a big game.

Hopefully's it's Yarran.

Surprised that Robinson was named in the 18 over Ellard.

Might run with Mattner.

Great to get some finals experience into Davies, Robinson, Warnock, Garlettt and Yarran.

And Jacobs for his new club. :eek: :p

Is Mumford going to play?

All the attention here has been on Carrazzo and not Mumford who has a medial strain.

I say we give Mclean a game as a late change just so he can run out there to shake Kerr's hand.

Forfeiting and deciding to play West Coast are you or does Mclean get that special privilege as a consolation prize for not getting a crack at your top 22? :p :)

Anyway, the midfield battle will basically be where it's won or lost. If you get it out of there quickly and kick it long to one of your talls you should be able to stretch us. We rely on being able to set up from stoppages and control the game this way. Our defenders also are obviously more vulnerable when players don't have enough time to drop back and help each other out.

I suppose that's why the ruck battle is extremely important. Whichever team gains the ascendancy and gives the first use of the ball to their midfielders will have the best chance of winning. Your speed, if you do manage to win the midfield contest, would pretty easily overcome us.

I'm nervous, but extremely excited. I love it when the finals finally come around. :)

Like always this game is going to be a battle between the Blues attacking talent versus the Swans stopping/flooding ability. The contrast between the 2 gamestyles couldn't be more extreme. Blues are probably the most attacking team in the comp, and the Swans one of the most defensive. Glad we went into this game with all 3 small forwards, rather than an extra mid to combat them around stoppages. It sends a message that we'll play the game on our terms rather than react to the Swans stopping tactics. The Swans managed to shut down our talent in the last game, but last year we managed to break free of the tags in the 2nd half and smashed them to pieces. The Blues go into this game as massive underdogs because the Swans are just so good at the shut-down stuff and have a huge experience advantage. But if we break free don't be surprised if we give the Swans another pounding. Looking forward to this one. Blues by 38 points with a big second half.

:)

Like always this game is going to be a battle between the Blues attacking talent versus the Swans stopping/flooding ability. The contrast between the 2 gamestyles couldn't be more extreme. Blues are probably the most attacking team in the comp, and the Swans one of the most defensive. Glad we went into this game with all 3 small forwards, rather than an extra mid to combat them around stoppages. It sends a message that we'll play the game on our terms rather than react to the Swans stopping tactics. The Swans managed to shut down our talent in the last game, but last year we managed to break free of the tags in the 2nd half and smashed them to pieces. The Blues go into this game as massive underdogs because the Swans are just so good at the shut-down stuff and have a huge experience advantage. But if we break free don't be surprised if we give the Swans another pounding. Looking forward to this one. Blues by 38 points with a big second half.

:)

I reckon it's harder to play our style of football under finals pressure.

The intensity is way higher, therefore skills are under more pressure, so there are more mistakes, therefore more contested ball and more stoppages. They are better than us is all of those areas.

I reckon it's harder to play our style of football under finals pressure.

The intensity is way higher, therefore skills are under more pressure, so there are more mistakes, therefore more contested ball and more stoppages. They are better than us is all of those areas.

A stopping game only works while it is working. I know that is a fairly self evident fact but what it means is it gets ugly fairly quickly once scoreboard pressure is achieved. Once you get a break on them, they can no longer save the game they have to abandon the stopping game in order to win back the game. And then our superior attacking game takes us further in front. That is why we blew them open once we achieved the second half break. If we can achieve some scoreboard pressure we will win big IMO. I think that is the point Parrot was making and it is a valid one.

So in my book we will lose just or win big.

A stopping game only works while it is working. I know that is a fairly self evident fact but what it means is it gets ugly fairly quickly once scoreboard pressure is achieved. Once you get a break on them, they can no longer save the game they have to abandon the stopping game in order to win back the game. And then our superior attacking game takes us further in front. That is why we blew them open once we achieved the second half break. If we can achieve some scoreboard pressure we will win big IMO. I think that is the point Parrot was making and it is a valid one.

So in my book we will lose just or win big.

They've been kicking big scores in recent weeks. Averaging well over 100 points per game over the last month.

They've been kicking big scores in recent weeks. Averaging well over 100 points per game over the last month.

Exaggerate much?

They have won 4 from 4 kicking 106 (87), 114 (79), 96 (156), 129 (149) Total 445 ave 111 (471 ave 117). They are our numbers in the brackets.

Where is the big score for Sydney in there? Ok 1 big score. We have kicked 2 big scores in the past 4 weeks and lost the other 2 games.

I would fancy us in a shoot out any day of the week.

Exaggerate much?

They have won 4 from 4 kicking 106 (87), 114 (79), 96 (156), 129 (149) Total 445 ave 111 (471 ave 117). They are our numbers in the brackets.

Where is the big score for Sydney in there? Ok 1 big score. We have kicked 2 big scores in the past 4 weeks and lost the other 2 games.

I would fancy us in a shoot out any day of the week.

Big scores relative to what they usually score. Over 3 goals better than their season average. Not a side that struggles to score, as you put it.

They've had more inside 50s in the same period than any other club, as well as restricting their opposition to the least number of inside 50s. In excellent form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I say we give Mclean a game as a late change just so he can run out there to shake Kirk's hand.

Get the feeling either Jetta or Yarran/Garlett will have a big game.

Hopefully's it's Yarran.

Surprised that Robinson was named in the 18 over Ellard.

Might run with Mattner.

Great to get some finals experience into Davies, Robinson, Warnock, Garlettt and Yarran.

And Jacobs for his new club. :eek: :p

Is Mumford going to play?

All the attention here has been on Carrazzo and not Mumford who has a medial strain.

If he gets through the last training sesh okay then yes definete In. Has been named, reckon should be okay because he did travel with us to Brisbane last week.

Big scores relative to what they usually score. Over 3 goals better than their season average. Not a side that struggles to score, as you put it.

They've had more inside 50s in the same period than any other club, as well as restricting their opposition to the least number of inside 50s. In excellent form.

Ok now we agree. Yes big scores compared to their usual output and yes they are in excellent form.

Yes, they are scoring because they are having to change their game style because their list is not what it was and does not have the skill or discipline to pull off the old lock down game and win regularly. In fact, that is the credit to Roos, he saw that last year, understood it and modified their game to suit.

That said, if they engage in a straight shoot out with us, if we play to our abilities and they played to theirs, I would back us 9 out of 10 times. That is the conundrum for Roos, we would win a straight shoot out, they would win a lock down contest if they play to their absolute best also (regardless of how well we are playing because their best in lock down is better than our best in free form).

If they cannot maintain the discipline for the entire time and we get a break (and 4 or 5 goals would do it) then they will really struggle to switch it around fast enough to catch us without us blowing them away completely.

If they maintain the lock down well into the last or worse have a break on us we are finished. If we have a break on them anytime after half time and we have the discipline to not let up then I expect a blow out in our favor. If we have a break but let up they will catch us and pass us faster than you can say momentum. We also have another factor we have to fight and only scoreboard pressure can do it, and that is the goodbye Kirk and Roos factor. If we are 40 points up their fight will be gone no matter how much the crowd urges them on, but if they are within 20 points the game wont be won until there is less than 2 minutes to play.

Make no mistake this is going to be a very tough game, but dont be surprised by a blow out either.

Swans by 27.

well drilled, some nice ins plus the roos kirk factor will have them going at an extra 20% and we hate playing in sydney to boot.

Swans by 27.

well drilled, some nice ins plus the roos kirk factor will have them going at an extra 20% and we hate playing in Sydney to boot.

Is that the same team that hasnt beat StKilda in about 5 years, or the Bombers for the past 3 or Adel for 5. All so called hoodoos will end, if you in fact (I dont) believe they exist in the first place. Its just another venue, and the Swans hardly own it. They haven't won a game there for a while either.

Agree the Kirk/Roos factor makes winning harder, but we can win and it wont be the first fairly tale finish dashed. Not as pessimistic as you are and whilst nervous I am going the game thinking we will win.

Is that the same team that hasnt beat StKilda in about 5 years, or the Bombers for the past 3 or Adel for 5. All so called hoodoos will end, if you in fact (I dont) believe they exist in the first place. Its just another venue, and the Swans hardly own it. They haven't won a game there for a while either.

Agree the Kirk/Roos factor makes winning harder, but we can win and it wont be the first fairly tale finish dashed. Not as pessimistic as you are and whilst nervous I am going the game thinking we will win.

I;m with you 30YB I won;t be surprised for a blow out either way, they are surely due for a loss (wishful thinking) although they are the form side, we haven;t been playing that bad, one kick away from a home final and arguably, Carrazzo going down in 1st quarter cost us..and they haven;t won at ANZ stadium the past 5 times, so that must be in the back of their minds surely..
But I believe we have a real chance on Sunday

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Always Look on the Bright, Side of Life! 1st Elimination Final - Carlton vs. Sydney [Stay Tuned...]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back