An Album A Day

Remove this Banner Ad

My first post on big footy is to appreciate the thread Thommo333, it's interesting to see your thoughts on the albums and also trying different genres
Thanks mate, glad you're enjoying the reviews. Welcome to BigFooty!

View attachment 397109
Day 32. Head Injuries- Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil are one of my favourite Oz rock acts and absolutely loved 10 to 1 but haven't listened to any of their other albums in its entirety. Head Injuries was Midnight Oil's second album and sounds just like they are playing live which I really like. From the front cover you can tell how exciting and intense the album is going to be and is one of the most famous Aussie album covers. Even though this album doesn't have any of their more popular songs it is a complete album and is definitely worth a listen.

My Top 3

1. Stand In Line- The drums and the bass really make this song about what was happening while Malcom Fraser was PM great. It also has a good guitar solo.
  2. Back on the Borderline- The most famous song on the album starts off with a fantastic drum solo and has a very catchy chorus.
  3. Koala Spirit- This composition of song is erratic and displays great musicality from the band. The musical chorus is the highlight of the song.

Gem of the Album

Naked Flame- This song starts of incredibly with Peter Garrett's high-pitched vocal introduction and while the guitar work is simple it works really well within the song.

The closing tracks to the two albums above are both in my top ten songs of all time and neither got a mention. Oh well, they do say that the best songs are the ones that grow on you...

IMG_2258.JPG
Day 33. Black Sheep Boy- Okkervil River

Black Sheep Boy is widely considered as a concept album for its lyrics which flow completely through the album making it somewhat of a story. This album was also very dark and deep and I don't think many albums I've heard matches that darkness. I haven't listened to much indie rock music before but I found this album enjoyable and kept my interest the whole way through. It's not my favourite album that I have listened to so far but it will be one that I will listen to again.

My Top 3

1. So Come Back, I'm Waiting- This song clocks in at just over 8 minutes and starts out with just an acoustic guitar until the other instruments come in to build to a mini-climax before the horn bridge section. After the bridge the music builds again until it finally hits the climax which is the highlight of the album by far.
  2. A King and a Queen- A soft and mellow song that sounds like a man in pain. It features a mandolin and a trumpet.
  3. For Real- This song has a sense of uneasy warmth in the melody. The song builds until the heavy ending with distorted guitar and heavy drums.

Gem of the Album

The Latest Toughs- This song is different to the rest as it experiments with electronics and looping. This song is very catchy and has a looped tape of children singing in the background.

The closing tracks to the two albums above are both in my top ten songs of all time and neither got a mention. Oh well, they do say that the best songs are the ones that grow on you...
They were both up their but not in my top 3. Hopefully they grow on me with more listens. Different tastes and opinions are what make music so great.

At some point I'd love you to give:

Dream Theater - Images and Words

a listen.

IMG_2259.JPG
Day 34. The Black Keys - El Camino

After their breakthrough album Brothers, The Black Keys went straight back to the studio to record a follow-up album and 18 months later they released the even more popular El Camino. I haven't listened to this album since around its time of release as I didn't really like it but after giving it a listen today I have to say it has grown on me. It still isn't great as I find it a bit over-produced but I think it would be an enjoyable album to listen to on a road trip.

My Top 3

1. Lonely Boy- The most popular song of the album has a great guitar lick to start off the song and a very catchy chorus.
  2. Gold on the Ceiling- The second single of the album is another catchy tune that sounds like a mix of a 60s song and a modern song.
  3. Nova Baby- In this song The Black Keys experiment in the retro psychedelic genre to great effect to make another fantastic song.

Gem of the Album

Money Maker- This song about prostitution has a fantastic driving chorus and a great guitar solo.

IMG_2260.JPG
Day 35. Arctic Monkeys- AM

AM was the Arctic Monkeys fifth album and was another change in direction for the British band. Having started off with indie rock on their first two albums they changed to psychedelic rock on their third album and to a pop influenced fourth album. Their fifth album is a laid back and simple album with falsetto backing vocals and funky bass lines. I haven't listened to much Arctic Monkeys before and that is a mistake on my part as this album is pretty good. The only negative I have is that I think it would get repetitive after a couple of listens but that's only a guess. Overall, this was a fantastic album to listen to for the first time and I really need to listen to more albums by them.

My Top 3

1. R U Mine?- This song is a fast and heavy psych-rock song with a fantastic riff and a funky bass line
  2. Do I Wanna Know?- The complete opposite of R U Mine? This track is slow and contains the best vocal performance of the album.
  3. Knee Socks- This song starts off with another great riff and is probably the darkest song on the album.

Gem of the Album

I Want It All- This song sounds inspired by 60s rock and contains some clever guitar and bass work. The drums are subtle and is joined by tambourines and hand claps.

IMG_2261.JPG
Day 36. The Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream

Siamese Dream was The Smashing Pumpkins second album and is regarded as one of the greatest albums of the 90s. The Smashing Pumpkins (mainly Billy Corgan) joined forces with Butch Vig again to try and create perfection. While it is not quite perfect it is pretty bloody good. Billy Corgan's emotional vocals and personal lyrics combined with the instrumentation creates a near perfect hard rock album that any music fan should listen to.

My Top 3

1. Hummer- A near perfect song that is structurally chaotic. The song begins with some low-fi guitar tacking combined with loud guitar riffs before turning a fantastic atmospheric track.
  2. Cherub Rock- A great opening track that begins with a couple of drum rolls before Billy Corgan makes his presence known with his fantastic vocals.
  3. Disarm- The second most popular track on the album was written about his deprived childhood and how he has grown up to be an arseh*le.

Gem of the Album

Geek U.S.A- This song definitely has Jimmy Chamberlain's best drumming performance on the record and goes along seamlessly with the brilliant lyrics and riffs.

Great reviews mate. I love that Hummer's your fav track on Siamese Dream as it's one of mine too. Chamberlin's a great drummer, pity he was such a druggy.

Also R U Mine on AM remains my favourite track too on that so consistently good album.

Here's some further suggestions:
Caspian - Dust and Disquiet (stunningly beautiful album, avoid if you hate post-rock though)
Kanye West - The Life of Pablo
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

IMG_2262.JPG
Day 37. Karnivool- Sound Awake

Sound Awake was released in 2009 and was Karnivool's second album. After their stellar debut album Themata, Karnivool had to produce something special to beat Themata. In my opinion Sound Awake doesn't quite reach the lofty standards Themata but it is still a quality album. Ian Kenny's vocals are definitely some of the best in Australia and the instruments are a lot more broader compared to Themata. Sound Awake is a must listen to for any prog-rock fan.

My Top 3

1. Goliath- In this song the drums and bass combine perfectly and Ian Kenny's vocals in the bridge are sensational.
  2. Simple Boy- This song is a powerful and simple opening track that starts off with the use of a xylophone.
  3. New Day- This song is all about lead singer Ian Kenny. From his soft angelic vocals in the verse to the soaring heights of the chorus it perfectly showcases his vocal ability.

Gem of the Album

Umbra- A nice atmospheric break from the heavy prog-rock stuff also has a very catchy hook to start the song.

IMG_2263.JPG
Day 38. The Stooges- Fun House

Fun house was the second album from The Stooges and many say this album was the birth of punk. After their self titled first album received not a lot of attention, The Stooges decided to make their second album a lot louder, raw and more like their live sound. This album got even less commercial success than their first album and it wasn't until their third album Raw Power that people started to truly recognise the greatness of Fun House. Fun House is a must listen to for any punk fan as it is a fantastic album showcasing the birth of punk.

My Top 3

1. L.A. Blues- This is a great song just because it's basically a jam session. All the instruments are playing seemingly whatever they want but it just sounds really good and it fits perfectly on the album.
  2. Down on the Street- The opening track starts off with a nice fast guitar part and Iggy howling. It is a catchy song and has great lyrics.
  3. T.V. Eye- This song is one of the earliest punk songs and is the catchiest song of the album. It has a fantastic guitar solo and a memorable riff.

Gem of the Album

1970- The highlight of this unique and bouncy song is definitely the saxophone that follows the two minute guitar solo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 399273

Fun house was the second album from The Stooges and many say this album was the birth of punk. After their self titled first album received not a lot of attention, The Stooges decided to make their second album a lot louder, raw and more like their live sound. This album got even less commercial success than their first album and it wasn't until their third album Raw Power that people started to truly recognise the greatness of Fun House. Fun House is a must listen to for any punk fan as it is a fantastic album showcasing the birth of punk.

My Top 3

1. L.A. Blues- This is a great song just because it's basically a jam session. All the instruments are playing seemingly whatever they want but it just sounds really good and it fits perfectly on the album.
  2. Down on the Street- The opening track starts off with a nice fast guitar part and Iggy howling. It is a catchy song and has great lyrics.
  3. T.V. Eye- This song is one of the earliest punk songs and is the catchiest song of the album. It has a fantastic guitar solo and a memorable riff.

Gem of the Album

1970- The highlight of this unique and bouncy song is definitely the saxophone that follows the two minute guitar solo.
A great review Thommo. This album is in my top 10 albums. I am happy that you liked it.

View attachment 399273

My Top 3

Gem of the Album

A great review Thommo. This album is in my top 10 albums. I am happy that you liked it.

I've been looking forward to your Fun House review, well done.

It's an absolute classic.

IMG_2264.JPG
Day 39. David Bowie- Hunky Dory

Hunky Dory was David Bowie's fourth album and his first classic album. Hunky Dory was more broader than his previous releases as he explored folk, glam and piano pop. The lyrics on this album are deep and cryptic and are heard through the gorgeous voice of Bowie's. This album includes so many of Bowie's greatest songs and when combined onto the album it is simply magical. This album, for me, is David Bowie's greatest.

My Top 3

1. Life On Mars- This song is one of Bowie's most famous songs and for good reason. The verses are driven by a beautiful piano and classical arrangement and the chorus that follows the verses is irresistibly catchy.
  2. Kooks- This song is a very charming and heart-warming track with a fantastic bass riff and an interesting trumpet appearing at intervals.
  3. Changes- The opening track about rebelling against misunderstanding is backed by a bouncy sax and piano.

Gem of the Album

Quicksand- In this song Bowie reflects on morality in this captivating anthem and is one of his most underrated songs.

A few old Aussie albums worth a listen:
Radio Birdman - Radios Appear
Sunnyboys - Sunnyboys
The Saints - (I'm) Stranded

I'm going to see The Aints do The Saints in November. Ed Kuepper with an all star live up. Thankfully without Chris Bailey.

Will be a rocking gig.

Always great to see some Hunky Dory love, and you've identified the bangers. Life on Mars and Quicksand would have to be among his best tracks period.

I second those above recommendations. Sunnyboys in particular is one of the very best albums to come out of this country (adore the sophomore Individuals as well, namely the 2015 reissue of the original tapes before they were botched post-studio, one of the great unearthings of this decade).

Sorry guys no reviews for this weekend I've been incredibly busy. I'll be starting up again tomorrow.

Sorry guys, I am going to have to pull the plug on this. I haven't had enough time to write reviews up as I've taken extra shifts at work. I'll still be listening to the suggested albums but won't be able to post a review on them. It has been great to listen to different albums and hear different opinions on them! Thanks

Sorry guys, I am going to have to pull the plug on this. I haven't had enough time to write reviews up as I've taken extra shifts at work. I'll still be listening to the suggested albums but won't be able to post a review on them. It has been great to listen to different albums and hear different opinions on them! Thanks
Cheers. I have enjoyed your reviews. There are some cracking albums to come.

Squeeze them in when you can Thommo but thanks for the reviews so far

Remove this Banner Ad

An Album A Day

Remove this Banner Ad

Back