Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Me either, that would get killed by small/medium forwards. It's so slow. McKenna and McGrath need to feature more, we need their dash off half back, Stanton isn't a back.

that's what people said about Matthew Boyd.... now he's got that premiership medallion hanging around his neck, playing off the half back flank. Elite players adapt. Stanton is no exception

that's what people said about Matthew Boyd.... now he's got that premiership medallion hanging around his neck, playing off the half back flank. Elite players adapt. Stanton is no exception

I'd like to point out, that I'm not a Stanton knocker, I've always been a great lover of his as a winger. Once Hurley, Hartley, Ambrose and Gleeson are plugged in, we need two fast players. Kelly and Stanton move about as fast as eth-dog when sarcasm or trolling appears in conversation.

I'd like to point out, that I'm not a Stanton knocker, I've always been a great lover of his as a winger. Once Hurley, Hartley, Ambrose and Gleeson are plugged in, we need two fast players. Kelly and Stanton move about as fast as eth-dog when sarcasm or trolling appears in conversation.
i agree. Although, he does have a penetrating kick which can we effective at creating overlap & space. Just a thought...

Out of interest Excluding JJ who is speed outa Sydney and doggies back six?
Rampe and Zak Jones are quick. Bulldogs have Wood, Biggs as well.

I think too much is being made of the speed factor off half back. It's nice when you can get it, but how does it make sense to put a speculative kid in the place of a proven accumulator like Stanton? There are more ways than one to skin a cat, and with a backline like Fletchers that presumably interchanges between Stanton and Kelly down back, you have an extremely experienced and well organized defense. They should be able to structure up to carry the ball out of defense instead of using speed. If you then have the likes of Colyer and Parish loitering in the middle of the ground, i very much doubt that we would look slow on the rebound.
I've been buying into the hype about needing the pace of McGrath or Mckenna, but i'd trust Fletch's opinion more than mine, and the above points are what i imagine he is thinking.

I think too much is being made of the speed factor off half back. It's nice when you can get it, but how does it make sense to put a speculative kid in the place of a proven accumulator like Stanton? There are more ways than one to skin a cat, and with a backline like Fletchers that presumably interchanges between Stanton and Kelly down back, you have an extremely experienced and well organized defense. They should be able to structure up to carry the ball out of defense instead of using speed. If you then have the likes of Colyer and Parish loitering in the middle of the ground, i very much doubt that we would look slow on the rebound.
I've been buying into the hype about needing the pace of McGrath or Mckenna, but i'd trust Fletch's opinion more than mine, and the above points are what i imagine he is thinking.

Why do you need a proven accumulator at half back? What purpose does it serve? Is he going to provide significant aerial cover? No. Is he going to provide game breaking rebound or will he shut down a small forward? No.

If Brent Stanton was a kid would anyone be saying that he ought to have a pointless role at half back created for him? I'm going to say no.

I'd prefer to have Dea in the side. He's good for 20 touches a week and can also play on a small or short tall.

Why do you need a proven accumulator at half back? What purpose does it serve? Is he going to provide significant aerial cover? No. Is he going to provide game breaking rebound or will he shut down a small forward? No.

If Brent Stanton was a kid would anyone be saying that he ought to have a pointless role at half back created for him? I'm going to say no.

I'd prefer to have Dea in the side. He's good for 20 touches a week and can also play on a small or short tall.
Assuming you are correct, why did Fletch put him there?
If he keeps his man quiet and racks up 25+ touches, then what purpose does that not serve? I'd say it serves the purpose of creating rebound just through quantity of ball. I have absolutely zero issue with Stanton delivering the ball to our midfield runners time and time again.
I guess the issue is whether he can keep his man quiet and i'm not really sure how good a defender he can be.

I like Stanton at half back. He is "ok" defensively in that he can always stick to his opponent, not great in the air though. His strength is bringing the ball out, not only does he always get to space allowing an easy "relief" kick for other backmen but he then has the ability to find that next target. If we get it out of defensive 50 it will be helter skelter from there into our forward 50. Stanton will seriously help that.

Assuming you are correct, why did Fletch put him there?
If he keeps his man quiet and racks up 25+ touches, then what purpose does that not serve? I'd say it serves the purpose of creating rebound just through quantity of ball. I have absolutely zero issue with Stanton delivering the ball to our midfield runners time and time again.
I guess the issue is whether he can keep his man quiet and i'm not really sure how good a defender he can be.

For the same reason that Lloyd and Lucas did (in the same breath as make a deal of Goddard playing behind the ball). They are mates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back