An idea for a fairer Draw

Remove this Banner Ad

chev1977

Senior List
Jun 11, 2000
Adelaide, SA, Australia
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Make the season have 30 home and away round's (Hence: there are only 15 opposition side's so you will play each side once at home and once away, then have the finals, increase the bench size, perhaps make the quarter and three quater time breaks 5 minutes longer ?

and have either the state of Origin or International competition a few weeks after the end of the season... (depending on popular opinion which one the AFL would choose, I'd like to have both...

Abolish the silly "Pre season cup" and folks you have a fairer more interesting and extended season (not by much) but it would be better I rekon.

And perhaps make the Player list have 50 players rather than 42.

Originally posted by chev1977

And how would clubs like the Roos, Melbourne, Bulldogs etc be able to afford that. I can't see players taking pay cuts so that list sizes could increase. In fact they'd all want loads more money to cover the additional games they'd have to play. The additional revenue generated by having more games wouldn't come close to covering the costs for those teams.

Will never happen.

Make the season have 30 home and away round's (Hence: there are only 15 opposition side's so you will play each side once at home and once away, then have the finals, increase the bench size, perhaps make the quarter and three quater time breaks 5 minutes longer ?

and have either the state of Origin or International competition a few weeks after the end of the season... (depending on popular opinion which one the AFL would choose, I'd like to have both...

Abolish the silly "Pre season cup" and folks you have a fairer more interesting and extended season (not by much) but it would be better I rekon.

Now there's a brilliant idea for a fairer draw. I can't believe noone's thought of this before.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

when I meant make the list 50 players I meant add more young kids, giving them more chances to enter the big league, they would be on minimum wages..... Increase the salary cap for each club a little to accomodate for this after all the AFL can afford it with the huge cash injection from the TV rights.

and because the pre season will be abolished.... it would really be about the same amount of games all year... so I cant see why the AFL would be losing money...? rather gaining more because the games would be the real season not the pre season and there would be more interest in it...more crowd numbers etc....

Each club drafting a few more kids and expanding the bench size would cater for the injuries through the year and give the young kids more of a chance to play a few games.

I think I have a good idea..! but after all this is a thread and your welcome to your own opinion.

I'd rather they reduced the season to 15 home-and-away rounds. Each team plays each other once. Home games are alternated year by year. For example, if Port plays at home to Collingwood this year, then Collingwood gets the home fixture against Port next year.

The season is already way too bloody long. The idea of 30 home-and-away rounds is insane.

If they insist on continuing with 22 home-and-away rounds, then get rid of the Kangaroos, Bulldogs, Melbourne and St.Kilda and go back to a 12 team competition.

Christ almighty ... there is more to life than bloody football.

Originally posted by Dr AlfAndrews
I'd rather they reduced the season to 15 home-and-away rounds. Each team plays each other once. Home games are alternated year by year. For example, if Port plays at home to Collingwood this year, then Collingwood gets the home fixture against Port next year.

The season is already way too bloody long. The idea of 30 home-and-away rounds is insane.

If they insist on continuing with 22 home-and-away rounds, then get rid of the Kangaroos, Bulldogs, Melbourne and St.Kilda and go back to a 12 team competition.

Christ almighty ... there is more to life than bloody football.

Then why are you hear talking about it in the middle of summer?

If your so blasé about it, then why not suggest the Woods, Blues, Hawks and Dons go instead?

I don't think this idea is going to well chev...

Perhaps more careful thought would have been appropriate..

I think there would be a greater possibility of less games (i.e NFL - 16) than 30.

Alf, what's going on?

Chev, if you give some clubs an extra eight youngsters at minimum wage that would still equate to around $800 000 (the people in the know may correct me here) for teams to find, meaning that very quickly some teams will fold.

I am not sure what the pre season cup is called these days, but play it, 32 rounds, finals, and maybe a couple of end of season overseas matches, as long as Collingwood are not involved in them, bring the reserves back to how it used to be, get the VFL to how it used to be, and play the VFL in Summer. All VFL games should be played at night. Forget the SOO, or the International rules crap. Footy all year is heaven on earth, and after not being able to watch a new game of footy since Grand final day, I can say that with certainty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by hilly

Don't you think that might be a bit tough physically and mentally on the clubs?

Yes, but I am talking about how I would like footy to be, not how the clubs would cope. It is only a dream I have. I know it will never happen, but god I would love it to.

Originally posted by Grendel

Again, if your so dis-interested, why are you hear talking about it in the middle of summer?

And if you find football so bloody interesting why are you fighting with me when you could be talking about football.

And I didn't say I wasn't interested in the bloody game. Just that it sux ... and the season is too friggin long.

I reckon a 15 round season, plus finals, would be just the right amount of football. I've got no problem with talking about football for 13 months a year ... but the actual business of going to the footy and barracking for a Club is incredibly emotionally draining ... if you do it right.

(Or are you one of these half-hearted types who just politely applaud?)

I almost suffer a stroke every time I go to the football ... and I suffer from stress fractures of the larynx for several days after every game. I swear I will die at the frigging football one of these days.

And don't give me that crap about "oh, you don't HAVE to go ... blah blah blah".

It's a non-negotiable spiritual obligation to watch Collingwood. Hawthorn may be just one of those secular take-it-or-leave it organisations ... but following Collingwood is like being in the friggin priesthood.

You just don't say "No" when the Lord sayeth, "Thou shalt follow Collingwood with all thy heart and all thy soul."

Who said I was fighting with you??? By asking about your interest (or lack thereof) I would have thought I was talking about it. :confused:

I asked the question twice because I didn't get a reply in the first instance. This time around, you answered that. An edge of narkiness to it, but an answer nonetheless.

Fine, you sound like you barrack like I do (aneurism waiting to happen type barracking... so no, im not a 'politely applaud' type either).

Sorry that God picked on you over who he made you follow, God is cruel.

Originally posted by Grendel
... an edge of narkiness to it ...

Ah, don't worry about that ... That's just my way of being friendly ... :D

At Collingwood if we kick your head in and stab you to death with a broken bottle it means we like you.

I curse God daily for making me one of the Chosen People ... but what can one do about it. C'est la guerre.

I hope you've paid up your Life Insurance policy, Grendel ... the season is getting obscenely close. Maybe we'll meet in a rehab for burnt out footy addicts one day ... if we're lucky enough to live long enough to get into recovery.

not a bad idea in theory...would become more practical if the number of teams in the league is reduced by mergers or if some clubs go under.

Mind you, the Melbourne clubs whine a lot about the fixturing and the way that the away games fall, but spare a thought for the interstate clubs who travel 10 or 11 times a season.

I believe Porthos might have something to say on this issue

But I would have liked to come here today to read people's opinions about the thread/idea instead of bickering between each other.

I agree with some of you that this would be a great idea if the competition were reduced from 16 clubs, but I like football and would watch it 52 weeks per year if I could... it's only 8 games extended but when you think about it, if the pre season was abolished the season really is'nt extended at all...

I like the Idea of AFL reserves with every team in the AFL having a seconds side that plays the same draw precluding the main Grade then if you make the Players list with 50 + players it would be worthwhile...

I know as a supporter if I got to see a Reserves match everytime my team played (if I went to the football) I would go earlier and watch both Grades with interest....

Re: Re: An idea for a fairer Draw

Originally posted by liz

And how would clubs like the Roos, Melbourne, Bulldogs etc be able to afford that. I can't see players taking pay cuts so that list sizes could increase. In fact they'd all want loads more money to cover the additional games they'd have to play. The additional revenue generated by having more games wouldn't come close to covering the costs for those teams.

Will never happen.

Play them in developing areas for increased revenue. Let brisbane and Sydney play more games in melbourne.

Re: Re: An idea for a fairer Draw

Originally posted by liz
And how would clubs like the Roos, Melbourne, Bulldogs etc be able to afford that. I can't see players taking pay cuts so that list sizes could increase. In fact they'd all want loads more money to cover the additional games they'd have to play. The additional revenue generated by having more games wouldn't come close to covering the costs for those teams..
I guess that on that basis, its best for those teams to only play 1 game a year, for maximum attendences and minimum payment for players.

Wouldn't that be good for the game. :rolleyes:

8 extra players will cost, if they're low picks, $800,000 apparently. Thats closer to 8 extra players in the middle of your squad, but anyway.

The fact is that the increased season would make a profit for clubs (truly! it does!) More games = more TV revenue, more attendences, more games at grounds (likely putting clubs in a position to get a cheaper rate). If you have attendences that go above the operating costs, like most clubs do, of course there's more money.

A 30 game season is entirely possible, but dropping/merging two clubs out of the comp and playing 26 is much more feasible.

Remove this Banner Ad

An idea for a fairer Draw

Remove this Banner Ad

Back