Opinion An Urgent Enquiry is Required into the Umpiring of Certain Matches Mid-Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
2023 Toyota AFL Season

Rd 8 Richmond won the free kick count 17-16 v West Coast Eagles.
Rd 9 Richmond won the free kick count 21-14 v Geelong Cats.
Rd 10 Richmond won the free kick count 10-9 v Essendon Bombers.

Ok 2 of the free kick count wins were by 1 free kick but there needs to be a high level enquiry conducted into how Richmond Football Club were ever allowed to win 3 consecutive free kick counts. I know this has since been corrected by the AFL, because I checked - supporting evidence in the table below. But it is not enough, we the people need to know how Richmond were ever allowed to win 3 consecutive free kick counts. This is the stand rule era after all.

Anyway for those who are interested here is the evidence proving the AFL responded to this deeply concerning crisis that was the hat-trick of Richmond free kick count wins...

MatchRichmond Free Kick Count W/L?Winning MarginLosing Margin
2023 Season
Rd 11 v PortL9
Rd 12 v GWSL5
Rd 12 v DockersL11
Rd 14 v SaintsL13
Rd 16 v LionsL2
Rd 17 v SwansL1
Rd 18 v EaglesL3
Rd 19 v HawksL2
Rd 20 v DemonsL2
Rd 21 v DogsL2
Rd 22 v SaintsL9
Rd 23 v RoosW1
Rd 24 v PortL5
Season 2024
Rd 0 v SunsL1
Rd 1 v BluesL7
Rd 2 v PowerL10
Rd 3 v SwansW1
Rd 4 v SaintsL2
Rd 5 v EaglesL9
Rd 7 v DemonsL12
Rd 8 v DockersL9
Rd 9 v BulldogsL3
R 10 v LionsL11
Rd 11 v BombersL3
Rd 12 v CatsL1
Rd 13 v CrowsL10
Total wins/losses for the 26 games period2W 24L
Total Margins for the 26 game period+2-142

Now I would like to draw everybody's attention to the very last row in the table above. I really think we should be putting pressure on the AFL over Richmond being allowed to get away with a 2 free kick surplus from the 2 free kick count wins they somehow conned out of those 26 games. We gain some solace from the 142 free kick deficit in the 24 free kick counts Richmond thankfully lost in that period, but it is not enough. We must do something about that pesky annoying 2 free kick surplus arising from the 2 matches of 26 where Richmond won the free kick count. It just doesn't look right and my heart goes out to all Swans and Kangaroo supporters, god only knows how low they must feel.

P.S. that table is 100% accurate, double checked.

Last edited:
God how have Richmond been able to get away with this as well...

Free kicks received on average per match Richmond FC:

2021 AFL #18
2022 AFL #17(within 1-2 free kicks for the season of being #18)
2023 AFL #18
2024 AFL #18

Now come on, there is no conceivable way the 17 other teams were not as highly disciplined in matches against Richmond in 2022 as they were in the other 3 seasons listed. So how did the AFL allow that to happen that Richmond were not AFL #18 for free kicks received in 2022?

The things Richmond have gotten away with here are shocking. Enquiry please.

Since 2017 the team with the worst free kick percentage has been
Richmond 6 times (2017, 2018, 2021,2022,2023,2024)
Hawthorn 1 time (2020)
GWS 1 time (2019)

But since stats were kept, the Hawks have the worst percentage of all clubs

1717714445828.png
So we feel your pain brotha!

AFL don’t like clubs having too much success.

We can see that within a week they can change the whole game of afl based on “interpretation” of rules.

If they can do that they can manipulate games however they like, and you cannot get rid of bias in an umpires brain.

We can see that within a week they can change the whole game of afl based on “interpretation” of rules.

If they can do that they can manipulate games however they like, and you cannot get rid of bias in an umpires brain.

Yes that is why Richmond started this free kick against era in 2017, they had just too much success from 1981-2016.

Hang on.

Doesn't your mob reckon that the afl changed the rules to suit us? A side that has been up and about for 20 odd years now?

Something isn't adding up...

Richmond being successful has been huge for the AFL. How big were some of those prelims & grand finals? The 2017 celebrations were the biggest I’ve ever seen.

Can’t convince me there’s any deliberate umpire bias against Richmond. A big Richmond is a big AFL. Same goes for when Carlton & Essendon eventually return to the big time.

Blokes like Nankervis, Balta, Rance, & Lynch throw/threw their weight around. Dusty & Bolton types have licenses to play make and get caught sometimes. Some, like Pickett & sometimes Nank annd Broad, are outright sloppy or undisciplined.

Richmond being successful has been huge for the AFL. How big were some of those prelims & grand finals? The 2017 celebrations were the biggest I’ve ever seen.

Can’t convince me there’s any deliberate umpire bias against Richmond. A big Richmond is a big AFL. Same goes for when Carlton & Essendon eventually return to the big time.

Blokes like Nankervis, Balta, Rance, & Lynch throw/threw their weight around. Dusty & Bolton types have licenses to play make and get caught sometimes. Some, like Pickett & sometimes Nank annd Broad, are outright sloppy or undisciplined.

Yep that would explain perfectly why Richmond has been number #18 for free kicks paid against opponents for 3 of the last 4 seasons and AFL #17 in the other of those seasons.

Wake up and smell the sewer HTP. It is rancid.

Yes that is why Richmond started this free kick against era in 2017, they had just too much success from 1981-2016.

Pretty sure 2017 wasn’t that bad from memory we were like 9th for free kick differential. 2018 onwards was bad

Zero games have elapsed since Richmond lost a free kick count by 10 or more.

27 games have elapsed since Richmond won a free kick count by more than 1 free kick.

If you go back 28 games you find Richmond won the free kick count by 7 free kicks. Since then Richmond has lost the free kick count by 9 or more in 10 of the 26 matches they have played.

We demand to know how Richmond FC was allowed to get away with that shocking +7 free kick differential 27 games ago. How could the AFL possibly let that happen?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I blame Marlion Pickett. That bloke loves giving away a free. The Tigers are already -5 when he walks on the park.

Considering you are highly likely on the dole, you should re-watch the 2017 highlights today. Get yourself some more potato chips & dip and enjoy :thumbsu:

You’ve got issues. So much anger/hate in that head of yours over football.

And no I’m not on the doll.

The Hardwick style was to intentionally infringe and hope that fewer than 50% of them were pinged, meaning 50/50 contests were skewed towards Richmond winning the ball.

I dont know if Yze does this too, or if its the older dogs unable to learnnew tricks.

Similar to Bevo getting the players to throw or drop the ball when tackled knowing the AFL didnt want more frees being paid so they would get away with it.

Coaches using the rules to their advantage.

The Hardwick style was to intentionally infringe and hope that fewer than 50% of them were pinged, meaning 50/50 contests were skewed towards Richmond winning the ball.

I dont know if Yze does this too, or if its the older dogs unable to learnnew tricks.

Similar to Bevo getting the players to throw or drop the ball when tackled knowing the AFL didnt want more frees being paid so they would get away with it.

Coaches using the rules to their advantage.

Why don't other teams do this against Richmond then? They don't do it against Richmond to the extent that over the last 4 seasons Richmond are AFL #18, AFL #18, AFL #17, AFL #18 for free kicks received. That has absolutely nothing to do with Richmond's playing style.

Last edited:
Why don't other teams do this against Richmond then? They don't do it against Richmond to the extent that over the last 4 seasons Richmond are AFL # 18, AFL #18, AFL #17, AFL #18 for free kicks received. That has absolutely nothing to do with Richmond's playing style.

Teams would have different strengths they want to focus on.

This. Especially Nank. Haven't seen the stats but just going off what I've seen I'd be pretty confident he has given away the most freekicks of any player by a country mile. Bloke just does it constantly, careless silly transgressions. And they're all spot on too.

Too all the Richmond conspiracy theorists. Your teams has been the most blatantly undisciplined side, and its daylight to second. I'd be focusing more on who's been on the overly positive side of the freekick count, there were definitely a few years of peculiar favourable WB decisions. And we all know WC gets looked after at home.

This. Especially Nank. Haven't seen the stats but just going off what I've seen I'd be pretty confident he has given away the most freekicks of any player by a country mile. Bloke just does it constantly, careless silly transgressions. And they're all spot on too.

Too all the Richmond conspiracy theorists. Your teams has been the most blatantly undisciplined side, and its daylight to second. I'd be focusing more on who's been on the overly positive side of the freekick count, there were definitely a few years of peculiar favourable WB decisions. And we all know WC gets looked after at home.

Do you have an explanation for why Richmond are AFL #18, #18, #17, #18 for free kicks received in the last 4 seasons? Surely that would have nothing to do with the fact that Nankervis has given away 22 free kicks and received 19 free kicks this season for eg?

In fact last 2 seasons Nankervis 42 free kicks for, 45 free kicks against. St Toby.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back