Opinion An Urgent Enquiry is Required into the Umpiring of Certain Matches Mid-Season 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm glad these questions are finally being asked on the main board. Only way we'll see change.

I'm expecting Barrett to raise the issue now he's gotten the story from here.

For years we heard that Richmond's free kick differential was because of the way they played.

Since then, everything has changed (new coach, new gamestyle, massive list overhaul), and yet the umpiring result is the same. When all variables change but the result doesn't, the only conclusion is that the umpires are biased.

This is even more clear when you look at Gold Coast 2024 under Dimma. They're top of the free kick differential ladder.

God how have Richmond been able to get away with this as well...

Free kicks received on average per match Richmond FC:

2021 AFL #18
2022 AFL #17(within 1-2 free kicks for the season of being #18)
2023 AFL #18
2024 AFL #18

Now come on, there is no conceivable way the 17 other teams were not as highly disciplined in matches against Richmond in 2022 as they were in the other 3 seasons listed. So how did the AFL allow that to happen that Richmond were not AFL #18 for free kicks received in 2022?

The things Richmond have gotten away with here are shocking. Enquiry please.

1717787700589.jpeg

Which team is Richmond again? The ones with the blue stripes?
The most successful team of the last ten years.
The team they had to make multiple rule changes to stop.
The team that every other team plays their most disciplined football against.
The team that has traumatised you so badly, you've got Post Traumatic Amnesia.

To answer your question: Yellow and Black :fist:

How could the AFL let this team win the free kick count, not once, but twice in the past 28 games? Incompetence or corruption? Either way, heads must role.

It always amazes supporters of the other 17 clubs that Richmond supporters would rally around and dig their own club out of a terrible mire. After all, why stand on your own two feet when you can angrily demand that others carry you and compensate you for your self inflicted injuries?
Whilst that might be fine for the other 17 clubs, Richmond can't rely on charity from the AFL. Except winning the free kick count in 2 of the last 28 games. Outrageous pro Richmond bias.

It always amazes supporters of the other 17 clubs that Richmond supporters would rally around and dig their own club out of a terrible mire. After all, why stand on your own two feet when you can angrily demand that others carry you and compensate you for your self inflicted injuries?
Whilst that might be fine for the other 17 clubs, Richmond can't rely on charity from the AFL. Except winning the free kick count in 2 of the last 28 games. Outrageous pro Richmond bias.
No it doesn’t. Every supporter would expect it.

Richmond supporters seem like they have this big chip and the more they complain maybe someone will care.

Fact is no-one really gives a shiit about Richmond and their constant whining.

cm punk wwe GIF

Richmond supporters seem like they have this big chip and the more they complain maybe someone will care.

cm punk wwe GIF
Lol. That must be why you're here making angry posts.
Collingwood has spent the last several years desperately trying to copy Richmond's culture, with some success.

In Richmond culture, standing by your club in its hour of greatest need is something to be proud of. For your club, it's apparently something to be ashamed of.
Perhaps that's part of the reason my club has been so much more successful than yours in your lifetime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2023 Toyota AFL Season

Rd 8 Richmond won the free kick count 17-16 v West Coast Eagles.
Rd 9 Richmond won the free kick count 21-14 v Geelong Cats.
Rd 10 Richmond won the free kick count 10-9 v Essendon Bombers.

Ok 2 of the free kick count wins were by 1 free kick but there needs to be a high level enquiry conducted into how Richmond Football Club were ever allowed to win 3 consecutive free kick counts. I know this has since been corrected by the AFL, because I checked - supporting evidence in the table below. But it is not enough, we the people need to know how Richmond were ever allowed to win 3 consecutive free kick counts. This is the stand rule era after all.

Anyway for those who are interested here is the evidence proving the AFL responded to this deeply concerning crisis that was the hat-trick of Richmond free kick count wins...

MatchRichmond Free Kick Count W/L?Winning MarginLosing Margin
2023 Season
Rd 11 v PortL9
Rd 12 v GWSL5
Rd 12 v DockersL11
Rd 14 v SaintsL13
Rd 16 v LionsL2
Rd 17 v SwansL1
Rd 18 v EaglesL3
Rd 19 v HawksL2
Rd 20 v DemonsL2
Rd 21 v DogsL2
Rd 22 v SaintsL9
Rd 23 v RoosW1
Rd 24 v PortL5
Season 2024
Rd 0 v SunsL1
Rd 1 v BluesL7
Rd 2 v PowerL10
Rd 3 v SwansW1
Rd 4 v SaintsL2
Rd 5 v EaglesL9
Rd 7 v DemonsL12
Rd 8 v DockersL9
Rd 9 v BulldogsL3
R 10 v LionsL11
Rd 11 v BombersL3
Rd 12 v CatsL1
Rd 13 v CrowsL10
Total wins/losses for the 26 games period2W 24L
Total Margins for the 26 game period+2-142

Now I would like to draw everybody's attention to the very last row in the table above. I really think we should be putting pressure on the AFL over Richmond being allowed to get away with a 2 free kick surplus from the 2 free kick count wins they somehow conned out of those 26 games. We gain some solace from the 142 free kick deficit in the 24 free kick counts Richmond thankfully lost in that period, but it is not enough. We must do something about that pesky annoying 2 free kick surplus arising from the 2 matches of 26 where Richmond won the free kick count. It just doesn't look right and my heart goes out to all Swans and Kangaroo supporters, god only knows how low they must feel.

P.S. that table is 100% accurate, double checked.

Can you add another column to the table titled “How did Richmond play”.

And then populate all the rows with “shithouse”.

No point putting stuff into a table unless its a complete data set.

Can you add another column to the table titled “How did Richmond play”.

And then populate all the rows with “shithouse”.

No point putting stuff into a table unless its a complete data set.

If you think that is relevant then maybe list other teams who played shithouse and their free kick counts, and then we can see if it is relevant.

cm punk wwe GIF
That's quite a display of inattention!

For years we heard that Richmond's free kick differential was because of the way they played.

Since then, everything has changed (new coach, new gamestyle, massive list overhaul), and yet the umpiring result is the same. When all variables change but the result doesn't, the only conclusion is that the umpires are biased.

This is even more clear when you look at Gold Coast 2024 under Dimma. They're top of the free kick differential ladder.

But now Richmond are just shit, maybe that contributes.

2023 Toyota AFL Season

Rd 8 Richmond won the free kick count 17-16 v West Coast Eagles.
Rd 9 Richmond won the free kick count 21-14 v Geelong Cats.
Rd 10 Richmond won the free kick count 10-9 v Essendon Bombers.

Ok 2 of the free kick count wins were by 1 free kick but there needs to be a high level enquiry conducted into how Richmond Football Club were ever allowed to win 3 consecutive free kick counts. I know this has since been corrected by the AFL, because I checked - supporting evidence in the table below. But it is not enough, we the people need to know how Richmond were ever allowed to win 3 consecutive free kick counts. This is the stand rule era after all.

Anyway for those who are interested here is the evidence proving the AFL responded to this deeply concerning crisis that was the hat-trick of Richmond free kick count wins...

MatchRichmond Free Kick Count W/L?Winning MarginLosing Margin
2023 Season
Rd 11 v PortL9
Rd 12 v GWSL5
Rd 12 v DockersL11
Rd 14 v SaintsL13
Rd 16 v LionsL2
Rd 17 v SwansL1
Rd 18 v EaglesL3
Rd 19 v HawksL2
Rd 20 v DemonsL2
Rd 21 v DogsL2
Rd 22 v SaintsL9
Rd 23 v RoosW1
Rd 24 v PortL5
Season 2024
Rd 0 v SunsL1
Rd 1 v BluesL7
Rd 2 v PowerL10
Rd 3 v SwansW1
Rd 4 v SaintsL2
Rd 5 v EaglesL9
Rd 7 v DemonsL12
Rd 8 v DockersL9
Rd 9 v BulldogsL3
R 10 v LionsL11
Rd 11 v BombersL3
Rd 12 v CatsL1
Rd 13 v CrowsL10
Total wins/losses for the 26 games period2W 24L
Total Margins for the 26 game period+2-142

Now I would like to draw everybody's attention to the very last row in the table above. I really think we should be putting pressure on the AFL over Richmond being allowed to get away with a 2 free kick surplus from the 2 free kick count wins they somehow conned out of those 26 games. We gain some solace from the 142 free kick deficit in the 24 free kick counts Richmond thankfully lost in that period, but it is not enough. We must do something about that pesky annoying 2 free kick surplus arising from the 2 matches of 26 where Richmond won the free kick count. It just doesn't look right and my heart goes out to all Swans and Kangaroo supporters, god only knows how low they must feel.

P.S. that table is 100% accurate, double checked.
Richmond are instructed to intentionally infringe on defence on the basis that the Umpires won't call every free kick because there would be too many. Surely as a Richmond supporter you have learned this over time. This is why they always lose the free kick count. Because they intentionally infringe.

I think that most casual observers of AFL lean towards the belief and feelings of corruption in the ranks, as is normal for such a large corporation that doesn't pay taxes, but don't believe that the same corruption extends to the results of actual AFL matches which is silly and naive.

Glad that this is being discussed. Regardless of allegiance, this sort of topic should be common place.

Umpiring has been as bad as I can remember this season in most matches.

* Edit. The umpires should be paid professional wages. Would help the situation.

Richmond are instructed to intentionally infringe on defence on the basis that the Umpires won't call every free kick because there would be too many. Surely as a Richmond supporter you have learned this over time. This is why they always lose the free kick count. Because they intentionally infringe.

I suppose the problem with this view is it is pure speculation supported by zero solid evidence to indicate the Richmond players intentionally infringe to any greater extent than any other team.

When watching as a Richmond supporter that is not the way it appears. It appears more or less Richmond and their opponents infringe at a similar rate and Richmond is penalised at a higher rate.

The other problem with your theory of course is that it does not explain why Richmond have received the least free kicks in 3 of the last 4 seasons and the second least in the other season.

Probably explains why you didn't give away more. You have a guy who is giving away two free kicks a game this year. Any game where he plays you, on average are -2, before the game starts.

Pickett has a -59 free kick count in 89 matches. So assuming he was replaced by a player with an average free kick differential for a Richmond player, Pickett would add around -0.4 free kick differential at most per game.

So that wouldn't explain much of the deficit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back