Andrew Raines out of contract!

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2003
melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
"Yellow & Black"
Let's hope sheedy isnt sniffing around. Sign him up fast Greg!!!!

Tigers keen to secure Raines
06 July 2006 Herald-Sun
Rebecca Williams

RICHMOND says it will move swiftly to ensure defender Andrew Raines remains a key part of the club's resurgence.

The son of Richmond great Geoff Raines was offered a one-year contract at the end of last season. He has so far seized his chance to prove his worth to the Tigers in 2006.

The 20-year-old has been one of the club's success stories this year and is considered a top candidate to win the NAB Rising Star award.

Richmond football director Greg Miller said the Tigers had not yet opened discussions with Raines' management, but wanted to ensure he remained a part of the club's future.

"Obviously we'd like to have him spend his career at Richmond, so we'll be talking to his manager about it soon, for sure," Miller said.

"Andrew is certainly part of our plan, he's had a great year. He was a very late draft choice and his progress this year has been fantastic.

"We've got a few players uncontracted at the moment that are playing well. Obviously Dean Polo and others that are in good form.

"So we'll be talking to managers sooner rather than later."

Raines, whose father was a 1980 premiership player and triple best-and-fairest for the Tigers, has blossomed in his third season at Punt Rd.

Taken as the No. 76 pick in the 2003 national draft, Raines played seven games in his first two seasons, but has so far played every game this year.

He earned a Rising Star nomination in Round 4 and was again impressive in the wet on Sunday, with 18 touches against the Magpies.

Raines' manager Rick Olarenshaw admitted he was surprised the Tigers had not yet swooped to tie up their young star.

"I am probably a little bit surprised Richmond haven't spoken to us yet," Olarenshaw said.

"He is out of contract (at the end of the year), and there have been some clubs out there who have actually made it public that they are chasing the best young kids out there, and Andrew's one of those.

"He's going to be a required player, for sure. He is one of the best young kids they have got now."

Miller said Raines knew he had needed to make an impact this season.

"He knows where he was up to last year," Miller said.

"He knew that this year was an important year for him and he has grabbed it with both hands."

IDGAF said:
He wont be going anywhere .

..... if by chance he did depart i would take to the punt rd. stand with a flame thrower and some AV gas

i bloody hope so!

....and if by chance....i will be joining you!

hes going no where that article is just a teaser for the teams that want him

seriously the only ones that would be traded or delsited in my mind right now is humm ,chaff , maybe rodan probaly gas and staff retire maybe kellaway will retire to

i dont think its wise for tigers to trade for anybody stick with what we got and add in draft

article is a peice of **** i bet ya that **** olarenshaw called the journo and ran the story to tell the board to hurry up

Heaps of players out of contract at the end of year are yet to re-sign. This is just his manager taking advantage of all the good publicity young Raines is getting atm to bump up his price. All part of the game, but his old man will be telling him the downside of changing clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

phoenix_rise_ said:
Dead set tosser. Thats not intelligent or remotely funny.
what you a pie in disguise ya tosser seriosly some peps need to lighten up there is no way hes going and was tounge in cheek to pies fans and your only 18 so you wouldnt know the history of raines , cloke tigers and collingwood any way the thread has been deleted hahahaha :( sookyy la la pies

but i will say it again"" Quik Collingwood Andrew Raines is out of contract snap him up better yet trade the clokes for him hahahahahahah NOT!!!!!!!!!!!"":p :p :D :D

tigion said:
what you a pie in disguise ya tosser seriosly some peps need to lighten up there is no way hes going and was tounge in cheek to pies fans and your only 18 so you wouldnt know the history of raines , cloke tigers and collingwood any way the thread has been deleted hahahaha :( sookyy la la pies

but i will say it again"" Quik Collingwood Andrew Raines is out of contract snap him up better yet trade the clokes for him hahahahahahah NOT!!!!!!!!!!!"":p :D

EDIT: I've decided to delete my response even though lots wouldve read it already, it would've just been bite for bite and gone no where so all I'll say is it shouldve been in Bay 13 and not in a dedicated Magpies supporter section by rules and common sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Andrew Raines out of contract!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back