List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

He didn't kick any crumbing on Sunday, he kicked 1 from a mark.

He kicks goals which is great, but he kicks them almost always by finding space for an uncontested mark, or getting a free kick, which isn't a very reliable method. Especially against good teams, in big games.
What big games doesnā€™t he kick goals in?

What big games doesnā€™t he kick goals in?
This year, he's kicked multiple goals twice against top 8 teams (10 games).
He got 3 when we beat Geelong by 10, and then 2 against the Dogs.
Kicked 0 against Brisbane, 1st game against Geelong, 1st game against Port, 2nd game against the Giants.

Finals last year he got 1 that he nearly missed from the goal square against he Swans, and then 1 from a set shot against the Dees. And was rightly dropped for the prelim.

3 of which were against traffic cones vs the Eagles. Clearly the club doesn't see him as a priority signing and I'm not too fussed either way. I'd gladly ship off Owies and Motlop, imo they are small forwards of a yesteryear.

Repeat sprints, skill with ball in hand, crumbing to KPF's and an ability to get the ball higher up the ground to deliver inside 50 and create for their teammates are what the new age small forwards are thriving on. Daniels, Hill, Cameron, Stengle, Moore etc. Owies just doesn't fit the bill of that.

Test the market, if there's some good bites then let him go and take the draft picks, if there's not then you offer him another contract and try to solve our small forward problems another way.
I agree with that but thatā€™s just comparing stars to a role player. Owies will always be one of the last picked. I canā€™t imagine anyone offering a pick inside say 35 for Owies and I donā€™t think the pick is even relevant. We will have a $ amount we would keep him on otherwise he will be let go cheap much like Acres was.

This year, he's kicked multiple goals twice against top 8 teams (10 games).
He got 3 when we beat Geelong by 10, and then 2 against the Dogs.
Kicked 0 against Brisbane, 1st game against Geelong, 1st game against Port, 2nd game against the Giants.

Finals last year he got 1 that he nearly missed from the goal square against he Swans, and then 1 from a set shot against the Dees. And was rightly dropped for the prelim.
And he has kicked goals in all our losses this year except for when he was Sub and as you said kicked goals in two low scoring finals last year. He isnā€™t some front runner getting cheap goals.
Itā€™s amazing to me how differently people look at Owies smarts and someone like JSOS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He isnā€™t some front runner getting cheap goals.
Itā€™s amazing to me how differently people look at Owies smarts and someone like JSOS
It's not that his goals are cheap, it's that they're not very reliable.
He gets them as a marking forward, but entirely reliant on smarts, not on physical ability.

The difference with Silvagni is that he's contested, and big, and can play in the ruck. Owies is limited to small forward, but he doesn't really play like one.

Without blinking

S Durdin, Cuners, Marchbank

Next cab/considerations (while some have some value)

Martin, Gov, Williams

Unfortunately I'd have Martin in the first category (although hopefully we might be able to get something for him).

We can't afford to move Gov this year given our complete lack of tall defenders.

And I don't see how we could move Williams with 2 more years of a big FA contract.

If we move 4 of the injury prone, plus 2 no-chance-of-playing-AFL Mirkov & Akuei, we're going to have a much more resilient list.

From a "List" point of view I still think people aren't considering Silvagni, Lemmey or O'Keefe going back and that we still have Young on our List

And we could easily bring in Aleer, Haynes and maybe a young KPD

On a LIST, that is a lot
I think when you're losing 3 (effectively) and in a 'win now' position players like Lemmey and O'Keefe can't really be included. I mean this is where LM team and Voss need to be realistic. Are those guys capable of playing a semi final adequately next season? Haynes has played in a fair few finals.

With a better HP team this list as it stands right now without additions will be back in finals. List changes imo are probably still balanced but leaning to finals footy and ensuring the marathon doesnt always end our season.

Its why I'm not really for trading any mids out either. Lord, Kennedy, Hewett, cerra, Cowan and maybe kemp in patches, etc etc etc should all more than definitely get time in the midfield during the regular season to ease the load on each other. Same with pitto vs TDK.

Imo Haynes just allows gov / young / whoever to get injured and more flexibility in the team without re working too much + it feels like the VFL is gonna love the experience.

Strong clubs have strong vfl teams. Pretty much every premier since 2000 has had a top level vfl team with only one or two exceptions - but those are reflected by the premiership teams falling away quickly after too.

Strong vfl - finals ready bodies - good rotations through the season. šŸ™šŸ™šŸ™

It's not that his goals are cheap, it's that they're not very reliable.
He gets them as a marking forward, but entirely reliant on smarts, not on physical ability.

The difference with Silvagni is that he's contested, and big, and can play in the ruck. Owies is limited to small forward, but he doesn't really play like one.
but it has been proven to be reliable. He consistently hits the scoreboard.

iā€™m more making the link of how JSOS footy smarts are praised while Owies are almost used as a negative because somehow they donā€™t stack up in big games.

I think when you're losing 3 (effectively) and in a 'win now' position players like Lemmey and O'Keefe can't really be included. I mean this is where LM team and Voss need to be realistic. Are those guys capable of playing a semi final adequately next season? Haynes has played in a fair few finals.

I would hope so

Unfortunately I'd have Martin in the first category (although hopefully we might be able to get something for him).
We wouldn't get much for him

We can't afford to move Gov this year given our complete lack of tall defenders.
If Haynes comes in, it covers the Gov role. I'd only consider a departure if we got something reasonable

And I don't see how we could move Williams with 2 more years of a big FA contract.
Agreed, but plenty of ways it could be carved

If we move 4 of the injury prone, plus 2 no-chance-of-playing-AFL Mirkov & Akuei, we're going to have a much more resilient list.
Absolutely

Without blinking

S Durdin, Cuners, Marchbank

Next cab/considerations (while some have some value)

Martin, Gov, Williams
Agree with the top 3 , I reckon we will try and trade Martin for points 3rd round at best but I think no one will bite and he will get delisted.
Gov has not been that injured the last 2 years and Williams contract is too big for anyone to take it on .. thats how I see it will play out

We wouldn't get much for him

If Haynes comes in, it covers the Gov role. I'd only consider a departure if we got something reasonable

Agreed, but plenty of ways it could be carved

Absolutely
Haynes is not McGovern. I wouldn't want Haynes in the Best 22.

Should be a depth selection on rookie wages at most. Has been getting paid close to a $1m per year the last couple of years on a backended contract so money shouldn't be an issue for him.

I'm not sure on him. He is mid size and very much a lead and mark player. Kemp & Silvagni are much better. Needs to be one out of delivered well to be effective. Played some good games when we do well but been poor as well.

He's not a need

I see him more as a finisher than a game changer. The fact we didn't take him mid season when we had a spare pick says a lt to me
Yep, he is very slightly built and to a large extent you can get away with this at VFL level. Would get found out for his lack of

strength at the highest level imo.

He is a great player for us in the magoos, massive step-up these days to the ones.

Hope so. That's our biggest issue

Haynes is AFL ready
I expect us to bring in at least 2-3 AFL players from other clubs
Then we have names like Wilson Lord Moir Binns Ollie Elijah O'Keefe Lemmey that all should be better prepared and physically ready to play AFL week in week out

Key AGAIN is a much better run with injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back