Injury Andrew Swallow confirmed ruptured Achilles tendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Also a chance for others to show some leadership, and take on more midfield responsibility, against some quality teams in coming weeks.
This, I reckon.

Even if you're not religious, put in a prayer tonight for our captain. He needs all of our thoughts with him.
How does that work? :confused:

12 months is a bit of a stretch I think. There have been a number of players who have had quicker recovery times than that.

I'm tipping worse case he will be right to go come round 5-6 next year.

Wish him all the best and hopefully it isn't as serious as first thought!

No point in rushing him. He won't have done any pre-season. Realistically, 12months sounds right, and it'd be good to target him returning with a few games through the VFL round about early July next year - for what will hopefully be an extended lead in to the finals.

Fair few repercussions from this one

If it is a ruptured Achilles then it's season over

Ziebell will captain for the remainder of the year

We lose a cog of the meat grinder. Potentially Greenwood gets his spot back & plays for his career at North

Above all else it's a horrible end to a great season for Swallow
Not potting you FG for writing this, but Id be amazed if he is fighting for an extension with us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roughead was lucky that it wasn't a complete rupture (from memory also), and IIRC it was around round 9-10 for Roughy and I thought he got back a few weeks later (round 5-6). If it's fully ruptured unfortunately Swallow can kiss next season goodbye. Big fan of the bloke, one of the blokes you always want out there.

Thanks for the class shown in your comment. Will just say though Roughead was definitely back by round 2, because I was at the Easter Monday Hawthorn/Geelong match in which he returned. Wasn't aware of the 'different ruptures' though.

Harsh for the captain. Super harsh. He'll be right but.

Hope he gets better and fit for 2014. Gives an opportunity for the younger players to step up in the last few games.

I did my Achilles, never forget it felt like pulling thread across a woollen jumper as each fibre gave way individually.

With all the physio he'll have at his finger tips, he should be right as rain for round 1 as long as the surgeon does a good job.

Shattering news and will be sorely missed of course. Fingers crossed its not a 12 monther. If it is id expect us to extra hard at a mature, quality mid - probably via FA since our first rounder is spent.

Will be interesting how the midfield goes in his absence, he hasnt missed a game in 5 years isnt it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Andrew Swallow confirmed ruptured Achilles tendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back