Injury Andrew Swallow confirmed ruptured Achilles tendon

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon this is a monumental cockup by the selection committee, its been obvious that Swallow has been carrying some sort of injury for a while, there was no reason he should have been out there today, IMO.

Sad news for our super Captain. We will definitely miss him for the remainder of the year. I guess it's a good thing we aren't really finals material this year or it would be even worse for him and us.

We should see him by mid season next year and if we are serious in 2014 one of Greenwood, Jacobs or Gysberts will take the spot and run with it.

Good luck spitta!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This is a massive blow for our team, I really hope Andrew can recover fully in a speedy manner, terrible injury however there seems to be plenty of evidence it is an injury that is not career ending :thumbsu: According to the commentators on fox he has not missed a game in five years and in that time is 103 tackles ahead of the next player in tackles either in the comp or at the club {wasnt clear} Good luck Andrew and a speedy recovery :thumbsu:

****ing gutted. When I saw what happened, I remember thinking "oh, hopefully it's a rolled ankle and hopefully he'll miss next Friday night", because he obviously needs a rest so bad. But to rupture his Achilles, ****. I don't think we've had an injury like this at our club, not for the past 10 years anyway. It is a rare one among hamstrings, knees and shoulders etc.

Like others have said, there are positives out of this. Jacobs, Gysberts, Greenwood and even Harper and Atley can really cement a spot in the side (or try a new role for Atley). Lets hope someone puts their hand up.

All the best skip, with the Shinboner spirit you have plenty of, we know you'll be back better than ever. :thumbsu: but most of all, enjoy the break mate, as much as you can. You've deserved a rest.

Time to step up Jack, even more so than you have this year.

I reckon this is a monumental cockup by the selection committee, its been obvious that Swallow has been carrying some sort of injury for a while, there was no reason he should have been out there today, IMO.

Wow, That's just 1 ordinary post unless you are in the inner sanctum.

95% of AFL players have injuries by round 18. You think the club would risk him???

Keep your uneducated guesses to yourself my friend !!!

Foley had this injury? Roughed is going OK. Who else has suffered an Achilles in recent times. There's no doubt he will work hard to get himself back to his best.

Absolutely gutted when I heard this while I was at work.

Couldn't believe it thought it was all a bad joke.

Greenwood should come in, he's the only one on our list in the 2nds that can plug Swallows spot with any adequacy unless we want to try something else and have Cunnington and Ziebell do all the grunt work, which would be Atley to the midfield and Kennedy to the backline?

Wow, That's just 1 ordinary post unless you are in the inner sanctum.

95% of AFL players have injuries by round 18. You think the club would risk him???

Keep your uneducated guesses to yourself my friend !!!
Well the link between overwork and achilles injuries is interesting.

For those basketball fans on here, Kobe Bryant has played an obscene amount of minutes this year and snapped his.

If someone can clarify of there is a link between this injury and overuse, please do.

Well the link between overwork and achilles injuries is interesting.

For those basketball fans on here, Kobe Bryant has played an obscene amount of minutes this year and snapped his.

If someone can clarify of there is a link between this injury and overuse, please do.

With that logic though Goldstein would of snapped his long ago. Short burst running and incredible stress rucking 70 odd times a game springing off the ground stressing the muscles and tendons and playing at 98% TOG.

Interesting theory but probably holds as much water as a leaky bucket.

That being said, just because Goldy is fine doesn't completely negate the possibility or anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gutted for the bloke. A return to FULL fitness and athletic capability will take a long time but I have confidence he'll do just that.

I've never ruptured mine but My best mate did his in an NBL GF back in '92 and I saw first hand the huge amount of work he put in with his rehab once given the all clear post surgery.

Shit. Just heard this now on the Geelong telecast.

Sad to hear this, I think Swallow is a top player, and seems a top bloke.

If it's any consolation, Roughy did his achilles for us in 2011, and look at him now.

Hope you don't mind me posting on here guys.

Shattering news. I've served him at work over the last few years, and he always comes back and sees me. Probably the nicest guy I've had the pleasure of meeting. Incredbily humble and down to earth. Always asks about my family.

Really hope he has a speedy recovery.

For idiots who say he won't be missed (yes a lot of DUMB Essendon supporters are saying this) obviously haven't watched him play a game of football.

Obviously we're not a better side without him but we went alright after he went off today and we have quality inside midfielders. it's not an area we're short of quality.
at this point in time as our side is, I reckon we'd miss Harvey more than Swallow. No slight on Swalow but Harvey had 15 score involvements today, he's a goalscorer, he's our best decision maker, he's our best user of the ball, and he's the type of player we don't have a surplus of.
We need Swallow back, and we're obviously a weaker side without him but we'll cope and we'll be competitive over the next 5 games.

If someone can clarify of there is a link between this injury and overuse, please do.[/quote]

For what its worth, I ruptured my Achilles several years ago. It actually ruptured when I was running into the water at Surfers Paradise while I was on holidays. However, it had been very sore for about 3 months, and I basically ignored it, thinking it would go away. I had lots of massage, but didn't see a doctor. I was told that it is the most painful injury the human body can suffer, and I believe it. With all the expert help available to Andrew at the club, there is no reason that he cannot come back quickly. However, I don't believe he will be back by round 1, hopefully around mid season after he gets some miles into his leg. Best of luck anyway for a full recovery

If it's any consolation, Roughy did his achilles for us in 2011, and look at him now.

Yep, he's 100% back, and no doubt will stand as a shining example for Spitter to use as a guide. With the close connections between both clubs thesedays I won't be surprised to learn that Roughy has called Spitz to offer encouragement and advice, as often seems to occur with players who suffer serious injury in these times.

Sorry to hear about your skipper going down guys an Achilles is a hell of an injury hope he comes back better then ever also foley did his for us and roughead for hawthorn roughead is in career best form and foley is starting to play some good football again so that's encouraging hope he talks to both to get his rehab rite heart and soul of your team sorry to intrude

Terrible news. Testament to the bloke that his first thought was getting the handball to a team mate. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

That is the bit that amazed me, that he had the presence of mind to spot up a team mate going past. Tough MOFO.

Thoughts are with you Spitta, hoping for a quick and successful recovery!

Best of luck to young Andrew.

But out of injury comes opportunity and our much vaunted depth will be tested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Injury Andrew Swallow confirmed ruptured Achilles tendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back