Angus Johnson is not the answer

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Media Alert

Whilst it is still very early days, the Johnson Era has at least started off with a greater level of transparency and open dialogue with members and supporters. The trade week summary, complete with very interesting insight into trading strategy, is a really good touch. This, and similar communications over the past few weeks, represent a positive sign that the reluctant or belated engagement with members/supporters might be a thing of the past. Who knows - maybe the weekly injury update might even start to resemble reality!

Whilst it is still very early days, the Johnson Era has at least started off with a greater level of transparency and open dialogue with members and supporters. The trade week summary, complete with very interesting insight into trading strategy, is a really good touch. This, and similar communications over the past few weeks, represent a positive sign that the reluctant or belated engagement with members/supporters might be a thing of the past. Who knows - maybe the weekly injury update might even start to resemble reality!

That trading summary email was very impressive work IMO

That trading summary email was very impressive work IMO

My thought also. I am beginning to feel that , under Angus Johnson, the club is beginning to turn this train wreck around. IMO the OP is being proven wrong as the Lions are beginning to feel like a real football club again - actively involving the members & supporters.

But there is still the elephant in the corner - one MB.

Agreed. They seem to be doing everything they can to make sure members feel involved in the process and no more of the we don't care what you think attitude.

Quick 'outsiders' viewpoint, but with a touch of insider knowledge, given I have had the displeasure of having work with/around Bowers, Tony Kelly and others.

There are some very good people at Brisbane in the administration, but infortunately the good ones (and most passionate) are not in senior positions and probably never will be.

The #1 priority for this club should be to appoint a new CEO before the 2011 season commences, or very soon after it. The club should ask the AFL for assistance in finding this CEO, and no doubt they would assist (as they did with the appointment and salary of Leigh Matthews).

The target should have strong experience running a club in an elite sporting competition OR have strong experience in business in addition to a strong association with Australian Rules Football.

Given Geelong have lost Frank Costa, Bomber Thompson and Gary Ablett recently. The Lions should make it a quartet of departures and chase Brian Cook as the #1 target.

Other targets could be John Hogan from the AFLPA, Matt Carroll from the ARU, Bob Rayner from DIAGEO, Bruce Kaider from the Western Bulldogs or dare I say it, John Bucknell or David Emerson from Collingwood. (hands off)

Re Thommo 42's post: If he knows what he's talking about, and does it in a respectful manner.....does it matter?

..and no, none of us would be game to go on their board;)...but I dare say none of us have had inside dealings with the collingwood heirarchy..

Re Thommo 42's post: If he knows what he's talking about, and does it in a respectful manner.....does it matter?

Yes. My footy team right or wrong

..and no, none of us would be game to go on their board;)...but I dare say none of us have had inside dealings with the collingwood heirarchy..

Good point. Why did we have a Collingwood supporter on the inside. We were doomed to poor karma for not staying pure:D.

1 flag in living memory and they think they are masters of the universe.

All jokes aside though can you imagine any of us going onto the Collingwood board and telling them who's who in the zoo?

I'm only 29, and as of 10 days ago. I've seen 2 now :thumbsu:

PS: if we were in deep strife, you'd be more than welcome to make constructive suggestions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm only 29, and as of 10 days ago. I've seen 2 now :thumbsu:

Only 29 you young whippersnapper! Respect your elder(s).
As I said all jokes aside;).

PS: if we were in deep strife, you'd be more than welcome to make constructive suggestions.

I suspect no matter how you and I would think that people from other teams can go onto other teams boards and advice them the reality is a bit different. You are a very unique individual:p. As to deep strife lets see how next season pans out. I go into every season optimistic.

We were going to get him at Westies next year, but we're back in the Piney Cup instead.

Losing 20+ games straight 2 years in a row is an expensive business.

At least the Lions reserves get your best players. :cool:

nah, just the young ones. I think they will only take players under 20 as top ups if the arrangement is confirmed.

Hi Thommo,

just a quick Q about what effect you think the arrangement with Wests and the lions will have on your junior stocks. Do you think juniors will be encouraged to the club because the will have the chance to play with the lions reserves, or discouraged because they can no longer compete in the QAFL with the magpies?

cheers

Not sure mate.

I think there will be a definite attraction to come to the Magpies if there are spots playing QAFL for the Lions Reserves available on a weekly basis. Playing Piney Cup at 18 in a strong side, is probably going to be better for you than playing QAFL for us and losing by 10 goals every week too.

Our U/18's have been strong traditionally, so it won't effect that side of the club. It's the 19-21 year olds that will be interesting.

SPot on, MacMum.

Quick 'outsiders' viewpoint, but with a touch of insider knowledge, given I have had the displeasure of having work with/around Bowers, Tony Kelly and others.

There are some very good people at Brisbane in the administration, but infortunately the good ones (and most passionate) are not in senior positions and probably never will be.

The #1 priority for this club should be to appoint a new CEO before the 2011 season commences, or very soon after it. The club should ask the AFL for assistance in finding this CEO, and no doubt they would assist (as they did with the appointment and salary of Leigh Matthews).

The target should have strong experience running a club in an elite sporting competition OR have strong experience in business in addition to a strong association with Australian Rules Football.

Given Geelong have lost Frank Costa, Bomber Thompson and Gary Ablett recently. The Lions should make it a quartet of departures and chase Brian Cook as the #1 target.

Other targets could be John Hogan from the AFLPA, Matt Carroll from the ARU, Bob Rayner from DIAGEO, Bruce Kaider from the Western Bulldogs or dare I say it, John Bucknell or David Emerson from Collingwood. (hands off)

I don't know Thommo 42, does anyone else? All I know is I respect his posts - no troll here. If he says he knows Bowers, & gives his opinion as he has, I am inclined to believe him. His opinion mirrors plenty of others on this board (including mine). Would not take it as gospel but until I have proof otherwise, I accept it. Personally I cannot see him making such a statement on a public forum without substantial backing/reasons. Where there is smoke.................

Won't get too many complaining about that around here. Hard to get rid of the guy at the top, and it seems to me he wants to put himself in charge of all this review buisness to make it look like he has been a saviour. IMO, if we get a stellar GM, they will be the saviour of the club.

Hopefully if we get the on field part of the club back up and running well, the focus will shift to how poorly the club is going off field, and might get more questions asked about Bowers instead of Voss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Angus Johnson is not the answer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back