Angus Johnson is not the answer

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if being ironic.

If you're after a real answer I know myself and a few of my friends have emailed over the duration, as well as the multitudes here who have posted their most passionate and eloquent missives to the board over this issue. And we can't be the only ones. Hence for him to state we've had a total of 12 emails and letters in total on the issue and half of those have been in fervent support of the Paddlepop indicates either a breathtaking lack of communication to the upper echelons from the mail room, or a massive porkie pie. If porkie pie is the answer- his motivation is therefore to continue the company line of the Paddlepop is here to stay, no matter the feedback from his constituents.

So it's not conceivable that he's telling the truth?

There is massive peer pressure on BigFooty to join the push to bin the paddlepop, and I suspect some people are confusing the group think of BigFooty to be something that exists in the real world. It seems to me that the comments from Johnson aren't some sort of conspiracy theory to push the paddlepop for God knows what reason, but rather a statement on the true nature of how things lie.

Thats EXACTLY what he was trying to do..he sounded quite bored by the whole topic....in fact he sounded a very pompous boring man.

...I'm not a paranoid type person Grim, please don't think for one minute that I am.

Yeah, I've noticed anyone that doesn't support the traditional jumper has all sorts of negative adjectives thrown at them. It is a good example of why the groupthink permeates on this board.

Yeah, I've noticed anyone that doesn't support the traditional jumper has all sorts of negative adjectives thrown at them. It is a good example of why the groupthink permeates on this board.

We love Kez, if the masses want the Paddlepop so be it, but to not be given a say is disappointing. I sent my letter on Wednesday, they should have it by now, to simply pass off the issue as a nothing on national radio gives the impression to the rest of the listening audience that it is a non issue, but clearly it is.

I've no confidence in the administration of the club, so call me coloured, but it was a very condescending interview. Footy is about passion, he gives me nothing.

I've no confidence in the administration of the club, so call me coloured, but it was a very condescending interview. Footy is about passion, he gives me nothing.

Sounds exactly the same as what everyone on this board said about the previous administration.

Sounds exactly the same as what everyone on this board said about the previous administration.

In my book not much changed, sadly. I'll add that I started a thread some years ago titled, "Angus Johnson is not the answer"

So it's not conceivable that he's telling the truth?

There is massive peer pressure on BigFooty to join the push to bin the paddlepop, and I suspect some people are confusing the group think of BigFooty to be something that exists in the real world. It seems to me that the comments from Johnson aren't some sort of conspiracy theory to push the paddlepop for God knows what reason, but rather a statement on the true nature of how things lie.

My first inclination is to generally take what people say at face value. However it feels as if there has been a persistent straight bat played about this issue since the jumper was introduced. If he had of said several hundred responses been taken with half those in support I probably wouldn't have commented. But to say 12 emails/letters combined is just so unrealistic for mine.

I doubt he'd come out and blatantly lie.

I don't know the exact wording he used, but there's always wriggle room if there's any phrase like "that I've seen" (no one's showed them to him) or "as far as I know" (no one's told him) or simply that the Lions only check their mail on Mondays. ;)

My first inclination is to generally take what people say at face value. However it feels as if there has been a persistent straight bat played about this issue since the jumper was introduced. If he had of said several hundred responses been taken with half those in support I probably wouldn't have commented. But to say 12 emails/letters combined is just so unrealistic for mine.

We know from comments here that hardly anyone attends the agm, so maybe the same apathy (when not in the comfort of like-minded people) exists regarding this issue.

Is there any doubt that that's a lie?

If you have some preconceived notion that Johnson has ulterior motives then there is no doubt it is a lie.

If you have some preconceived notion that Johnson has ulterior motives then there is no doubt it is a lie.

Well, I don't feel I have any preconceived notions like that, but I still found that comment totally unbelievable. Assuming it's been reported accurately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, I don't feel I have any preconceived notions like that, but I still found that comment totally unbelievable. Assuming it's been reported accurately.

So why do you think he would lie?

So why do you think he would lie?

I really don't know.

I'd only be speculating, but maybe he resents being told how to run the club? Maybe he's pissed off at supporters who whinge about jumpers, but don't rock up to games? Maybe he feels that giving into pressure on this issue would create a slippery slope? Maybe he does't want to admit to making a bad decision? Who knows?

Whatever his motivations are, I just find it impossible to believe that the club has received 12 emails and letters, and half of them advocated the status quo.

Whatever his motivations are, I just find it impossible to believe that the club has received 12 emails and letters, and half of them advocated the status quo.

I don't find it hard to believe at all. I reckon all clubs would have supporters that think they know what's best and have big plans, but don't do anything when it comes to real action.

I don't find it hard to believe at all. I reckon all clubs would have supporters that think they know what's best and have big plans, but don't do anything when it comes to real action.

So you believe the club received six letters and emails during the week supporting the current jumper, and six supporting the old jumper?

Even if you felt that the supporter base was genuinely split evenly on this issue (and personally I don't think it is) I find that unlikely given the mobilisation of the Lions Roar group.

Civil War - Guns N Roses

"What we've got here is failure to communicate
Some men you just can't reach...
So, you get what we had here last week
Which is the way he wants it!
Well, he gets it!
N' I don't like it any more than you men" *
(whistle)

Look at your young men fighting
Look at your women crying
Look at your young men dying
The way they've always done before

Look at the hate we're breeding
Look at the fear we're feeding
Look at the lives we're leading
The way we've always done before

My hands are tied
The billions shift from side to side
And the wars go on with brainwashed pride
For the love of god and our human rights
And all these things are swept aside
By bloody hands time can't deny
And are washed away by your genocide
And history hides the lies of our civil wars

D'you wear a black armband
When they shot the man
Who said "peace could last forever"
And in my first memories
They shot Kennedy
I went numb when I learned to see
So I never fell for Vietnam
We got the wall of D.C. to remind us all
That you can't trust freedom
When it's not in your hands
When everybody's fightin'
For their promised land
And

I don't need your civil war
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor
Your power hungry sellin' soldiers
In a human grocery store
Ain't that fresh
Ow, oh no, no, no, no, no

Look at the shoes you're filling
Look at the blood we're spilling
Look at the world we're killing
The way we've always done before
Look in the doubt we've wallowed
Look at the leaders we've followed
Look at the lies we've swallowed
And I don't want to hear no more

My hands are tied
For all I've seen has changed my mind
But still the wars go on as the years go by
With no love of god or human rights
'Cause all these dreams are swept aside
By bloody hands of the hypnotized
Who carry the cross of homicide
And history bears the scars of our civil wars

"We practice selective annihilation of mayors and
Government officials for example to create a vacuum
Then we fill that vacuum as popular war advantage
Peace is closer" **

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor
In a human grocery store
Ain't that fresh
And I don't need your civil war
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no
In a human grocery store
Ain't that fresh
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no uh-oh-uh, no uh-oh, uh no
I don't need one more war

I don't need one more war
No, no, no, no uh-oh-uh, no uh-oh, uh no
Whaz so civil 'bout war anyway?

Anyone who was on the ground tonight handing out flyers would feel safe in saying that the desire for a return to the old jumper is not a phenomenon limited to Bigfooty.

I like your critical thinking Grim and I am partial to a bit of contrarianism myself, but I know what I witnessed tonight.

Whatever the initial plaudits for the leadership of Angus Johnson (after the departure of Kelly and Bowers) , the fact remains that three of the current board were on the board when the paddlepop was introduced. The "Kelly and co." of 2009 included Angus Johnson, Paul Williams and Linda Nash who are still on the current board. The vice-chairman at that time is now the chairman. Kelly and Bowers have received all the flak about the paddlepop being introduced, but at the time the board voted (unanimously I'm told) in favour of the change of logo (and hence the jumper). Those three mentioned above must bear some of the responsibility for the introduction of the paddepop and while they remain on the board its going to be difficult to change it.

I find it quite staggering that the Lions want to claim the Fitzroy history, spirit and ethos, but can't find it within their means to honour the agreement that bequeathed the Fitzroy AFL legacy to their club. An agreement, moreover, that the Bears/Lions wrote and that Fitzroy had no input into whatsoever.

Whatever the initial plaudits for the leadership of Angus Johnson (after the departure of Kelly and Bowers) , the fact remains that three of the current board were on the board when the paddlepop was introduced. The "Kelly and co." of 2009 included Angus Johnson, Paul Williams and Linda Nash who are still on the current board. The vice-chairman at that time is now the chairman. Kelly and Bowers have received all the flak about the paddlepop being introduced, but at the time the board voted (unanimously I'm told) in favour of the change of logo (and hence the jumper). Those three mentioned above must bear some of the responsibility for the introduction of the paddepop and while they remain on the board its going to be difficult to change it.

I find it quite staggering that the Lions want to claim the Fitzroy history, spirit and ethos, but can't find it within their means to honour the agreement that bequeathed the Fitzroy AFL legacy to their club. An agreement, moreover, that the Bears/Lions wrote and that Fitzroy had no input into whatsoever.

I find it almost as bad that the club is now trying to brand members / supporters who simply want the right to have a say on the issue branded as the lunatic fringe and based upon reports of what went down last night at the GABBA the treatment of those people merely wishing to draw attention to the cause as one of the worst acts in the clubs history. Shame.

I find it almost as bad that the club is now trying to brand members / supporters who simply want the right to have a say on the issue branded as the lunatic fringe

That's their standard line and they'll continue to hold it. In the Supreme Court case in 2010 they tried to brand THE Fitzroy Football Club (their supposed merger partner) as "disaffected Fitzroy fans"

Tony Kelly said at the time

"This action brought against our club by a group who claim they are our supporters is a vexatious one designed to chain our club to the past for evermore. Their actions have made it quite obvious that they are not genuine supporters of the Brisbane Lions but people who would rather live in Fitzroy's past."

Not once did Tony Kelly or Michael Bowers refer to the Fitzroy Football Club as the Fitzroy Football Club but instead as "that group" and/or "disaffected Fitzroy fans"

Remove this Banner Ad

Angus Johnson is not the answer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back