Annual Reports: Every Club's Profit/Loss Margin for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to illustrate my point above about profit not really being the primary indicator of the health of a club, Collingwood's 2011 Annual Report showed us with a profit of 2.1 million.

The important facts are we generated 75.5 million in total revenue and income. This allowed us to spend 19.4 million on Football Expenses (dept). That's what you want ultimately, to have a massive revenue generated to spend on the footy dept, as much as possible while putting significant amounts into further money generation.

Having revenue generating streams that can pump money back into the footy dept. From our social club/gaming we spent 15.9 million and made 19.2, in marketing we spent 15.2 and made 22.1, in m/ship we spent 7 and made 16.4. Some of that largesse goes to the footy department, but a lot into generating more money.

That's where North needs to marshall their troops. Stay competitive in FD spending, but spend as much as you can in generating revenue so you don't have to keep going back to the well.

So, to sum it up: Collingwood spent $20m on the football department, but couldn't win the flag.

I'm sure you're happy with your balance sheet though.

So, to sum it up: Collingwood spent $20m on the football department, but couldn't win the flag.

More spending in football departments doesn't win you a flag.

It does improve your chances though.

The big question is total revenue turnover. The higher the revenue the more you can pump into the football department, and perhaps more importantly long-term, the non-football dept revenue generating streams. When non-footy dept streams grow, they bring in a lot of revenue which is then siphoned into the footy department.
That is not entirely true. It is more important the margin that is being earned on that revenue. So, net revenue (less cost of goods sold) is more important as this should exclude stuff like the cost of beer in the Collingwood pubs, the cost of stadium rental for west coast of the cost of items sold in any team's store.

Just to illustrate my point above about profit not really being the primary indicator of the health of a club, Collingwood's 2011 Annual Report showed us with a profit of 2.1 million.

The important facts are we generated 75.5 million in total revenue and income. This allowed us to spend 19.4 million on Football Expenses (dept). That's what you want ultimately, to have a massive revenue generated to spend on the footy dept, as much as possible while putting significant amounts into further money generation.

Having revenue generating streams that can pump money back into the footy dept. From our social club/gaming we spent 15.9 million and made 19.2, in marketing we spent 15.2 and made 22.1, in m/ship we spent 7 and made 16.4. Some of that largesse goes to the footy department, but a lot into generating more money.

That's where North needs to marshall their troops. Stay competitive in FD spending, but spend as much as you can in generating revenue so you don't have to keep going back to the well.
Revenue is a worse indicator than profit. Profit at least shows us how much extra a club can spend. Revenue shows us nothing without costs.

When our comes down to it, all that matters is footy department spending plus profit. This is then the amount you spend on making for football team better and the extra amount you could have.

The big question is total revenue turnover. The higher the revenue the more you can pump into the football department, and perhaps more importantly long-term, the non-football dept revenue generating streams. When non-footy dept streams grow, they bring in a lot of revenue which is then siphoned into the footy department.

Revenue is meaningless unless its making you money. If you own 100 pubs that bring in $1billion in revenue but costs you $1 billion to run, how does that help you spend anymore on your footy department?

LOL @ thinking that you'll get any information out of Fremantle. Have a look at the membership numbers. For whatever reason they don't publish the numbers so I doubt they'll publish the financial results either

LOL @ thinking that you'll get any information out of Fremantle. Have a look at the membership numbers. For whatever reason they don't publish the numbers so I doubt they'll publish the financial results either

Probably not worth publishing.

So really north relied on donations from fans and really will not end up anywhere near the profit hawthorn and Richmond made. But I am sure JB will put a spin on it.
We won't have the same sort of profit of the two clubs whose fans on this site keep getting into shitfights over which belongs in the so-called "big 4"? I'm shocked. The idea that a small club might produce a smaller profit than a large club is so amazingly damning.
In case you can't tell, I am being sarcastic.

Why's that mate? Any ideas? I would have thought a club would want to reveal that kind of information to members, sponsors, business partners etc. Very strange!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is a profit even important for AFL clubs?
A profit, or at least breaking even over time, is. A large profit isn't really that important, it just provdes a buffer against some bad years or some decisions going sour.
A large revenue base allows for spending on the football department, surely more important for a so-called "not for profit organisation" which all clubs claim to be for tax purposes.

Just for the record, richmond get 500K for the cairns game, Hawthorn 4 games at tassie and 2 for north in hobart.
these will obviously contribute to the total profit for these 3 clubs. possibly norths total profit??

It's also the reason why we seem to go deep into finals every year whereas less important clubs like Nth Melbourne need to play the bottom sides twice in order to make the 8 and then get humiliated in one of the most pathetic finals displays in recent history

It's also the reason why we seem to go deep into finals every year whereas less important clubs like Nth Melbourne need to play the bottom sides twice in order to make the 8 and then get humiliated in one of the most pathetic finals displays in recent history

Spin it anyway you want.

Highest football department spend in the AFL, didn't win the premiership, finished fourth, lost to some pleb club without two red cents to rub together called North Melbourne.

But yeah... Wooo! Profit!

Spin it anyway you want.

Highest football department spend in the AFL, didn't win the premiership, finished fourth, lost to some pleb club without two red cents to rub together called North Melbourne.

regardless of expenditure i think both north and pies dont have much right to chest pump re 2012.

Spin it anyway you want.

Not to put too fine a point on it but West Coast outspent Collingwood in football department spending - which is a good effort given they have no reserves side.

• West Coast – $19,800,000
  • Collingwood – $19,412,167
  • Geelong – $18,821,742
  • Essendon – $18,510,078
  • Carlton – $17,831,197
  • Melbourne – $16,309,582
  • St Kilda – $16,974,040
  • Brisbane – $16,061,596
  • Port Adelaide – $15,682,596
  • North Melbourne – $15,280,850
  • Western Bulldogs – $14,694,994
ref: http://footybusiness.wordpress.com/attendances-2/2011-afl-season/afl-clubs/

Remove this Banner Ad

Annual Reports: Every Club's Profit/Loss Margin for 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Back