Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

It's almost as if things have changed in the last thirty years.... Keatings credibility in many areas is certainly in tatters. If anything, Albos commendable support for made in Australia doesn't go far enough, we need govt support schemes to only go to Aus made products, an end to non allied foreign investment in critical industries,

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even Keating reckons chinas rise as a power changes things

Yeah. A bit of an over-reach I agree.

Look, I'm clearly not expressing myself well here and this probably isn't the thread for it. I'm certainly not trying to line up behind Xi and his regime and their open aggression beyond their borders.

My frustration goes back to the Morrison government and that shameful middle of the night stuff that led to the establishment of AUKUS and signing up to nuclear powered subs. A deal done aligning us to the front line of the US deterrent against Chinese expansion without any hint of debate or discussion in Parliament or elsewhere. A deal that Albanese signed up to for largely political reasons to avoid defence becoming a wedge issue in the 2022 election.

A deal that not only imposes a huge intergenerational cost burden on us for a capability that exposes us militarily for the next decade and a half at least and may not ever be delivered. But has significantly raised the stakes of us being part of a major conflict without anyone outside of the top tier of government or military really understanding why.

I'm just desperate for some transparent and open critical deep thinking to be done on this. And the only way I see that happening is by outspoken individual media players playing the devil's advocate and posing questions and scenarios that demand a response no matter how absurd they might sound.

Because feck knows we won't get any sort of credible discussion coming from the Dutton led opposition.
Completely Agree.

I'm not even sure I'm against AUKUS, but I've got absolutely no faith that any due diligence has been done by anyone in Australia about it.

The DoD/Defence Industry revolving door certainly doesn't give me any faith that a $300bn decision was thought-through or debated and considered properly.

It's rooms full of DoD staff who are all wanting defence contractor jobs, meeting with defence contractors and deciding what's best behind closed doors. How many in that room didn't have a massive career-vested-interest in the outcome?

And it seems like they have no firm commitment from partners or industry anyway. At least none that they want to share.

It's not going to be a secret to our enemies in 10 years if no subs ever show up, so why all the secrecy with the public.

I genuinely think the secrecy is because they've done almost no due diligence (a Govt trait on both sides at the moment) and don't even know what they've signed up for, or what the partners have committed to.

Just because Albanese inherited it from Morrison, doesn't mean that he doesn't have to sell it. In fact, to me, it means he has to sell it even more, if he's going to make such a huge contribution.

Fin review having a shot across the bows of the budget

Yes guys, cos the current economic strategy rationale inherited via Keating costello swan fryzo is working so well?

Maybe as australia becomes more resilient economically (it isn’t now that’s why the submarines deal) when we ‘stand up’ to china if wont be with fingers crossed behind our backs

Thirty years of prosperity!! Tell that to the homeless, the working poor, casuals and short-term contract employees, young people priced out of the housing market...

Are finance capitalists getting nervous, that the AFR has to publish agitprop like this article?

Thirty years of prosperity!! Tell that to the homeless, the working poor, casuals and short-term contract employees, young people priced out of the housing market...

Are finance capitalists getting nervous, that the AFR has to publish agitprop like this article?

Only one of your list is obviously different or worse to 30 years ago.

None of it makes moving away from prevailing economic orthodoxy of the last 30 years any less of a story either.

Wouldn't be surprised that if Anthony Albanese gets into real trouble during the course of the next federal election, Labor could always use the 'in case of fire, break glass' routine- get former Victorian premier Daniel Andrews. If it wasn't for Andrews's timely intervention during a press conference at the last federal election, Albanese would've lost the election.

On 5002X using BigFooty.com mobile app
Andrews is happy on the golf course I think.

But Angus Taylor still thinks we should look to Costello's example although I'm not sure we've got anything left to sell.

Sales Working GIF

whats he allegedly done that is going against the last thirty years of budgeting?
Albanese, Chalmers and Industry Minister Ed Husic will sit around the cabinet table choosing what green energy, manufacturing and technology projects are worthy of government backing – under the guise of the energy transition, supply chain resilience, national security and sovereignty.

Won't somebody think of the children
Breathtakingly, Labor has slated $1 billion (that’s $1,000,000,000) for domestic solar panel manufacturing.
My breath is took, he wrote out the numbers so he must be serious

The Albanese government’s actions demonstrate Labor’s lack of regard for orthodox economics and mainstream economists.

Modern Labor has become more interventionist and redistributionist.

Like I wish, but we can dream comrade. Economics is high priest s**t and the orthodox ones are useless propaganda boxes

One long-time Canberra observer says: “I don’t care that Jim doesn’t have an economics degree, but he doesn’t show much respect for the discipline.”

The most reassuring sentence in the article. It's actually a good article but for the opposite reasons the author thinks

In a budget where most will say labor isn’t being bold, the AFR is monstering the few bits where it is bold.

The coalition is going for labor’s xxxxx crisis but voters know the start of most of these crisis started on their watch, and they’ve voted in parliament to exacerbate them.

Smaller parties will win out

Why didn’t we let the market decide in the nuclear subs arena? A step which has become neccesary because our sovereignty and supply chains, national independence has been worn almost to nothing by 30 years of policy ‘hands off’

Albanese, Chalmers and Industry Minister Ed Husic will sit around the cabinet table choosing what green energy, manufacturing and technology projects are worthy of government backing – under the guise of the energy transition, supply chain resilience, national security and sovereignty.

Breathtakingly, Labor has slated $1 billion (that’s $1,000,000,000) for domestic solar panel manufacturing.

The Albanese government’s actions demonstrate Labor’s lack of regard for orthodox economics and mainstream economists.

Like I wish, but we can dream comrade. Economics is high priest s**t and the orthodox ones are useless propaganda boxes

One long-time Canberra observer says: “I don’t care that Jim doesn’t have an economics degree, but he doesn’t show much respect for the discipline.”

The most reassuring sentence in the article. It's actually a good article but for the opposite reasons the author thinks
Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is that the bitter Terry MCrann?

In a budget where most will say labor isn’t being bold, the AFR is monstering the few bits where it is bold.

The coalition is going for labor’s xxxxx crisis but voters know the start of most of these crisis started on their watch, and they’ve voted in parliament to exacerbate them.

Smaller parties will win out
I like the screaming narrative "Labor must do something to address cost of living" and the next breath claiming "tax cuts will drive inflation"*

* however curiously the original Lib stage 3 cuts to highest bracket wouldn't have impacted inflation

Chalmers rejects claims of ‘political tricks’ in his budget​

Ronald Mizen
Share post

Treasurer Jim Chalmers has rejected allegations that using cost-of-living subsidies to lower headline inflation was a “political trick” that would not address the underlying causes of inflation.

Former Reserve Bank board member Warwick McKibbin levelled the claim ahead of Chalmers delivering his third budget on Tuesday.

It is expected to include a broad cost-of-living support package which the treasurer said would help households while also putting downward pressure on inflation.

“Our view and our advice is the combination of cost-of-living relief we are providing in this budget will put downward pressure on inflation and not add to border inflationary pressures in the economy,” he said in response to a question from The Australian Financial Review.

“I acknowledge Warwick has a different view, but I don’t agree with it.”

Economists on Monday also warned handouts that temporarily bring down household bills will not rein in underlying inflation, undermining the Albanese government’s message that its budget will tame price pressures and help the Reserve Bank of Australia.

Fin review having a shot across the bows of the budget

Yes guys, cos the current economic strategy rationale inherited via Keating costello swan fryzo is working so well?

Maybe as australia becomes more resilient economically (it isn’t now that’s why the submarines deal) when we ‘stand up’ to china if wont be with fingers crossed behind our backs

Are they still running with the neo-liberal mantra despite overwhelming evidence it is a failed economic philosophy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back