Anti-AFL thread - post here

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That didn't hurt did it?

An estimate in the SMH, that's what you based it on?

Pretty close to the mark do you reckon?

I'll just post Rebecca Wilson's comments on AFL players antics at Railway Stations.....

I don't profess to know what the NRL's income is and I doubt that anyone knows what it is outside of the NRL and their accountants. And for the record, the figure in the article is a figure I've heard bandied around.

I don't doubt that AFL's is a lot higher either, I just think that talking like you know what it is based on an estimate in a newspaper is probably not the right way to go about it.

But, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Originally posted by E.A.
That didn't hurt did it?
just highlights how incredibly anal you are with insisting on sources for every figure posted

An estimate in the SMH, that's what you based it on?
ahh, yeah, as you also might like to not mine was an estimate too :rolleyes:

Pretty close to the mark do you reckon?
yeah i do.... you going to refer me to links suggesting otherwise?

I'll just post Rebecca Wilson's comments on AFL players antics at Railway Stations.....
you poor sucker. Do you even read the newspapers anymore? you probably wouldnt even trust them when they report there is conflict in the middle east either.

I don't profess to know what the NRL's income is and I doubt that anyone knows what it is outside of the NRL and their accountants. And for the record, the figure in the article is a figure I've heard bandied around.
so why are you getting all upset if its the figure youve heard bandied about?

I don't doubt that AFL's is a lot higher either, I just think that talking like you know what it is based on an estimate in a newspaper is probably not the right way to go about it.
classic i only believe what i want to believe mentality.

But, never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
You just hate it when you've been done, don't you.

Originally posted by Kurt Angle ©
In the same way I'd rather drive a Commodore than a Mercedes-Benz ??

because it's Australian ?

no i would rather drive a mecedes but thats different. anyways holden is really american so its not really aussie

afl is quick, exciting, high skill level and the atmospheres at games are just awesome. especially when you go to games with 60-70,000 people in a Home and away game not even a final.

Originally posted by hirdy_is_champ
afl is quick, exciting, high skill level and the atmospheres at games are just awesome.

If I saw any of those attributes in AFL, I'd probably like it.

Quick - ok, not as quick as RL, basketball, Ice Hockey.

Exciting - Has no standards such as penalising poor skills. Too many method of killing the game.

High skill level - probably the least skillful football code on the planet.

Originally posted by jerry springer
disagree with this statement

name another game that a player uses both his feet and hands regulary to control a ball

It's not about what's used, it's about execution.

Hackey sack uses both hands and feet, and uses an object more difficult than a ball.

Doesn't mean it's more skillful though.

"If I saw any of those attributes in AFL, I'd probably like it."

Maybe you should look for the positives and not the negatives .

"Quick - ok, not as quick as RL, basketball, Ice Hockey."

Basketball ambles from one end to the other.The quickest way to move a ball is to kick it .Hence a ball can travel the length of the field quicker than you can run it .

As for skill , it requires timing and strength to kick a ball accurately over a long distance ,even harder to catch it .People new to the game find even handpassing difficult , let alone to bounce the ball on the run .

I like watching AFL because it is spectacular , but I also like watching RL and even more when I played it .If you dont like AFL that's fine but dont try and reverse reality .If the game was so unskillful as you say people wouldn't be watching it and there'd be so many more able to play it .

Originally posted by cos789
Maybe you should look for the positives and not the negatives
Yeah! Many on BF should write that down and stick it up on the wall.

In reality, AR is a fast & highly skilful game, and if NSW & QLD ppl could put aside their traditional negative stereotypes of the game, they might find that its not so bad after all, they might even enjoy it.

In reality, RL is a tough & highly physical game, and if VIC SA & WA ppl could put aside their traditional negative stereotypes of the game, they might find that its not so bad after all, they might even enjoy it.

"VIC SA & WA ppl could put aside their traditional negative stereotypes of the game, they might find that its not so bad after all, they might even enjoy it."

Well they did give it go .The Reds got great crowds to start with .Died to nothing though .You can't really blame the people of WA and SA . RL just doesn't appear in the media that often .It'd be like searching out American Football just because you've heard it exists .

Before you retort .AF doesn't appear that much in the media in NSW and QLD .Something to do with them not being the premier codes .

"VIC SA & WA ppl could put aside their traditional negative stereotypes of the game, they might find that its not so bad after all, they might even enjoy it."

Well they did give it go .The Reds got great crowds to start with .Died to nothing though .You can't really blame the people of WA and SA . RL just doesn't appear in the media that often .It'd be like searching out American Football just because you've heard it exists .

But it wasn't the people of WA and SA that killed it. It was the friggin' Super League compromise.

not sure if many here have played both footy codes, or are really just armchair critics who are just sticking up for their code of choice but, i think i can contribute based on my experiences.

i played league with marrickville rsl in the u/12s to u/16s and with carrington cougars in u/17s & u/19s in the south sydney district junior rugby league, then made the switch to rules at sydney uni in the sydney afl comp.

the tackling style and execution of rules players is regularly ridiculed by leaguies. effective tackling execution comes down to technique. i found tackling big fellas on a charge front on much easier than trying to pulldown a half or a back on a step or in the clear. as a fullback, i would be exposed on my own, one-on-one with an opponent on many occassions who had a bit of pace and a step and found pulling these guys down much more of a challenge and a daunting task than taking down big forward running straight towards me - you just drive the shoulder into the thighs/hips region or cut 'em down around the ankles - 'they can't run without their legs' is always passed on the youngsters from an early age. with a few kids though, it goes in one ear and out the other and that's when you see the helpless ones fended off like rag dolls.

now as a fullback, tackling was my forte and it got me selected with the bunnies sg ball rep side but, in rules i could hardly lay a hand on an opposition player unless it was in congested play. in rules, i was usually one-on-one with an opponent but i wouldn't be approaching my rival until he got the ball in his hands as we'd be contesting for the pill, unlike league where i knew what my immediate task would be. then, if i did lose the contest for the ball i'd usually already be behind the player. in general, i found most rules players to be the same as a half or back in league - pacy, agile and more elusive than a forward, and hence, harder to get a hold off.

i found consistently drilling a pass by foot to a teammate 40m away in rules, much harder than throwing a 20m cut-out pass to a teammate in league. consistently taking a contested overhead mark in rules was also harder to master than diffusing a bomb on the chest in league. i could go on but, most importantly i think the biggest difference are the choices a player has to make during a game. after winning the ball in rules, you need evaluate where your teammates are, are they in space etc, then to choose whether to hand pass to teammate close-by, kick short to a player or switch to the other side, or kick long to a free player or a contest etc- its multi dimensional and the choice has a great bearing on what happens next. in league, the choice was easier-i either ran it or passed unless it was the last tackle, then i had the 3rd variable of kick-it was generally one dimensional though, i generally just went forward.

so, as a 178cm 80kg fullback in league and a halfback flanker in rules i found playing rules much harder and much more satisfying when done right. playing league actually hindered my days as a forward in rules as i was not used to running against the play. other union and league converts i nkow also found it easier making the transition as a defender.

as a born and bred sydneysider, imo rules more a game of skill than league.

hahahahahaahaha

So, you're a cat?

Why is it that AFL people think they're genuinely impartial?

I'm impartial too and I played all 4 codes. League was the hardest of the 4 to play. AFL was the easiest by far. didn't have to do anything.

You went to AFL because you couldn't hack it in League. It's ok, every kid who couldn't hack League in Sydney ended up playing Soccer or if they were really bad, they played Aussie Rules.

So, you made SG Ball in League?

And you made the Sydney AFL competition?

Good for you, they're about the same level. The Sydney AFL comp is abysmal in comparison to AFL. SG Ball is a kids rep team. Actually, SG Ball would be a higher level of League than the Sydney Aussie Rules comp is to AFL.

But back to the crux of your post.

A 40 metre pass in AFL gives the bloke at the other end time to move to where the ball is going. Backwards, forwards, sideways it doesn't matter, he has time to move to the ball. A 20 metre pass in League isn't going to go forward so the room for error is much smaller.

It seems to me that you changed to AFL because you couldn't hack it in League and for some reason you think that pouring your heart out on a messageboard will be sufficient penance.

It isn't, you just weren't tough enough to play the greatest game of all.

In years to come, you'll tell people that you played AFL with Sydney Uni and they won't give a stuff. Make sure you tell them you played for the Bunnies if you want to impress them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by nicko18
just highlights how incredibly anal you are with insisting on sources for every figure posted

So, you believe everything everyone tells you on here on face value?

Then you're an idiot.

ahh, yeah, as you also might like to not mine was an estimate too :rolleyes:

You can explain that sentence in English whenever you're ready.

yeah i do.... you going to refer me to links suggesting otherwise?

What, you mean one as solid as yours?

LOL

you poor sucker. Do you even read the newspapers anymore? you probably wouldnt even trust them when they report there is conflict in the middle east either.

Yeah, I read them every day and I believe everything I read.

Idiot.

so why are you getting all upset if its the figure youve heard bandied about?

Bandied about figures and the correct figures aren't the same thing. The point is that neither of us is privvy to the correct figure.

classic i only believe what i want to believe mentality.

Yeah, and Santa Clause and the Tooth Fairy.....

You just hate it when you've been done, don't you.

You couldn't do an egg with a sledgehammer.

every kid who couldn't hack League in Sydney ended up playing Soccer
I'd rather be Harry Kewell any day thanks..............recognised world wide and one of the best footballers going around. $$$$$$$

Originally posted by Mickey
I'd rather be Harry Kewell any day thanks..............recognised world wide and one of the best footballers going around. $$$$$$$

i wouldn't......i' like being able to go to the pub or supermarket without the hassle,but saying that u do need money.

Originally posted by hirdy_is_champ
true there little duck. but wouldn't you rather play a game that is aussie and is only played here?
that is what makes our game unique.

that's voodoo logic hirdy.........just because the national game of germany is invading poland, doesn't mean that all germans want to play.

Before you retort .AF doesn't appear that much in the media in NSW and QLD .Something to do with them not being the premier codes .
You are thinking of short-term attititude change, which is pie in the sky, because its a long-term goal.

Had the Western Reds continued in Perth, I am sure they would have been properly embraced by the city, and in a totally different situation to the Storm. Never forget, when the Western Reds began, there was no Fremantle Dockers, & no Perth Glory. A succesful Western Reds would have made it far more difficult for AFL to establish a 2nd team & for the Perth Glory to attract the level of support they are now.

Now my opinion has changed to be that Perth is lost forever and the market isnt worth trying to crack again. What League loses in SA & WA to AFL, we will make up with continued expansion across NZ (pop. 4 mil).

Originally posted by mcgarnacle
as a born and bred sydneysider, imo rules more a game of skill than league.
I think the overwhelming majority view is that AFL is one of the most skilful of games anywhere in the world, right up there alongside soccer.

On the other hand, League & Union employ a broader range of traits, such as physical strength, aggression, mobility, & highly skilful backs.

An AR team ideally consists of a bunch of tall, fast & skilful players. An ideal RL team is much more inclusive than that, with a cross-section of forwards & backs.

Originally posted by littleduck
I think the overwhelming majority view is that AFL is one of the most skilful of games anywhere in the world, right up there alongside soccer.

On the other hand, League & Union employ a broader range of traits, such as physical strength, aggression, mobility, & highly skilful backs.

summed up beautifully LD

As a person who plays both games regulary I will add that Rugby Leauge is also far more coachable game i.e it is easier to gain a tacticle advantage by spotting a weakness in the opposition side than Aussie Rules which can often come down to 1 on 1 battles and the bounce of the ball.

Originally posted by littleduck
we will make up with continued expansion across NZ (pop. 4 mil).

They'd better start winning over there then.

I know a fair few Kiwis who are dropping off them quicker than poo out of a cows arse.

Originally posted by Pantsless
They'd better start winning over there then.

I know a fair few Kiwis who are dropping off them quicker than poo out of a cows arse.
Yeah true, but thats the nature of expansion teams where other football codes are ahead. The same goes for the Lions, they better keep on winning to maintain public interest.

True, Littleduck. I just read on a site that the Lions "paid" membership has reached the 30,000 mark. If/when the Lions start losing, will this number drop off considerably.

I'm a paid up member of the BLFC...and if they start losing, I'll still support them.

Also...having played RL,RU and AR...I can honestly say that I found AR to be more physically challenging than league or union....but I didn't find it to be the better game. I actually found it to be a very frustrating. I now understand why there are so many cheap shots, because its quite hard to get in the postion to make a good tackle.

I did enjoy the hip and shoulders off the ball though. ;)

I've Played all 4 too.

Union was by far the most enjoyable to play and the most skillful (Purely because of the technical aspects of the ruck, maul, scrum and lineout), but it doesn't mean I'm about to pour support into a sport that's a dogs breakfast of an abomination to watch...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back