Anti-Franklin umpiring taken to a new level

Remove this Banner Ad

Franklin & the umpires

I watched last nights game closely. I've seen plenty of whinging from hawks supporters about the lack of free kicks paid to Franklin and you know what? I agree. Some of the decisions that went against him last night were atrocious. That juggled mark which was clearly a mark wasn't paid. There were 2 or 3 other holding or chopping decisions that weren't paid and then to top it off, 3 or 4 fairily soft free kicks are paid AGAINST franklin (including back to back 50 metre penalties). He does get a rough trot and i'm not sure why but the one thing i'm sure of, he's the best in the comp at the moment, absolute star.

Re: Franklin & the umpires

I watched last nights game closely. I've seen plenty of whinging from hawks supporters about the lack of free kicks paid to Franklin and you know what? I agree. Some of the decisions that went against him last night were atrocious. That juggled mark which was clearly a mark wasn't paid. There were 2 or 3 other holding or chopping decisions that weren't paid and then to top it off, 3 or 4 fairily soft free kicks are paid AGAINST franklin (including back to back 50 metre penalties). He does get a rough trot and i'm not sure why but the one thing i'm sure of, he's the best in the comp at the moment, absolute star.
very much agreed. plus franklin has given away the most free kicks in the afl. im unsure why the umpires dont like him.

Dunno about the rest of it, but there was absolutely no arguing those two 50's in the second quarter.

Both those 50s were fair enough, he was acting like a dick.

The umpries were alright when it came to Franklin. The free kicks he gives away are there. He is undisciplined like that.

And no way that was a mark. It isn't the schollyard where 3 touches is a mark. You need to control the ball. It's in the rule book. Never did he control that, hence why he dropped it. Been watching footy long?

i disagree, ive watched the game almost twice now already, cant recall any obvious choppings of the arms, the juggling mark should have been paid but on the second and third grabs the umpire was blind sighted so they can be excused for that, and the 50m penalties were there. one he held up lake when he was kicking the ball back in - 50m penalty, the other lake was clearly over the line the point had been rushed and franklin bumped him to the ground 50m penalty..

That juggled attempt at a mark was a CORRECT play on call!

At what stage did Buddy control the football?

One of the few decisions Chris Donlon got right.

about the juggling mark, i thought he never really had hold of it

all your other points seem quite sound as far as i'm concerned

He seems to get over excited when going for tackles and gives the oposition player a bit of a shove in the back or gets them a little high. He does give alot of legit frees away, but he does get a raw deal in recieving frees aswell. He often gets his arms chopped, held, or a shoved in the back without getting a free, and he is lucky to be paid a 3rd of them.:thumbsu:

He got reamed last night by the umpires. Gets a raw deal more often than any other player.

The hit on Lake wasnt high. No 50.

I was unaware what was wrong with hip-and-shouldering Lake while he was in the process of kicking the footy.

THe second 50 was definitely there but it was absolutely worth it.

That juggled marking attempt wasnt a mark though but I thought Lake falling all over him by the 3rd attempt was a free.

There were more, and some of his frees against are just silly and certainly there, but just in general he gets the rough end more than most players.

I would agree that he doesn't get some free's that he should, but this is the same with every good key forward, and is also the way it should be because a mistake for them is a goal, a mistake in favour of the defender is not nearly as important, just annoying. However, Buddy doesn't have enough free's paid against him, he constantly pushes with his hands which is why he gives away so many, but he still gets away with a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The umpries were alright when it came to Franklin. The free kicks he gives away are there. He is undisciplined like that.

And no way that was a mark. It isn't the schollyard where 3 touches is a mark. You need to control the ball. It's in the rule book. Never did he control that, hence why he dropped it. Been watching footy long?
not a mark my foot were you there did you see it up close i did it was there and it was a mark !

what about that free when he was on the ball?

he had followed it to defence, laid the best tackle ever, umpire was about to call ball up, ran in and as soon as the pack cleared paid a free against. surely someone else saw it?

There is no doubt that Buddy has to "really earn" a free kick. It`s clear to me that umpires will ping him a.s.a.p in comparison to any other player. They will let some things go but as soon as Franklin is in the area 8/10 they`ll ping him. The hype has got to the umpires they go looking for the slightest infringement and are too keen to penalise him.
He justs laughs it off Buddy, because it has become that much of a joke. Then again he can afford to laugh it off because he is that good. It`s clear to me that umpires subconciously really make him earn a free and are too keen to ping him in a "I`ll show him" who is boss.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anti-Franklin umpiring taken to a new level

Remove this Banner Ad

Back