Any sports bars or pubs you go to that don't serve food during the day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Service there is better, but it is also very plastic. I'd rather live in a country with a legitimate safety net than have people needing to be performing monkeys to get a few dollars out of me. The fact the US has a minimum wage (which is low anyway) that hospitality workers don't even get does my head in.

Then you get sour ****ing sods here getting pissy that you won't tip, even after not giving a sweet **** about smiling or being courteous.

Don't you dare campaigners, don't you DARE

I noticed one thing that might be a positive for customers though - servers over there are almost INSANELY courteous. They have to ingratiate themselves for a better tip to supplement their meagre base wage, and it's something that just does not exist here. Some visiting Yanks told me they thought table service was almost straight-out rude because nobody smiled and greeted the customers like they do in the States.

The absence of a 'tipping culture' is why.

This is frankly pathetic. How far up your own arse do you need to be to require that wait staff greet you with fake smiles and pleasantries and dote over you like a child. You're a customer in a restaurant, not a member of the royal family. The US tipping culture is disgusting, lousy restaurant owners paying their staff third world wages and forcing them to put on a song and dance for ungrateful customers all day long.

And yeah, any Australian hospitality worker expecting tips can GAGF. You're getting paid enough, and the food and drinks are already expensive.

Service there is better, but it is also very plastic. I'd rather live in a country with a legitimate safety net than have people needing to be performing monkeys to get a few dollars out of me. The fact the US has a minimum wage (which is low anyway) that hospitality workers don't even get does my head in.
Yeah, is the service really that good? To me it was automated. ‘Hello sir, how are you?’ Two second pause. ‘That’s fantastic.’ Two second pause. You deviate off script and they panic and don’t know what to say. I was struggling for change in a pharmacy on my first or second day and made a joke about how many clueless travellers must do this (it was in the middle of Manhattan) and this black chick just didn’t say anything. ‘Have a good day sir.’ That whole sir/madam thing absolutely shits me.

Service is best in Italy and those countries where it’s an honest, respectable and lifelong job. They know how to joke, they know everything inside out, they’re helpful. That’s the best. Love their piss takey, cheeky, but comfortable sense of humour.

Australian service is okay to really good but the issue is everyone in a cafe or behind a bar is 16-25 essentially so they’re all just odd and awkward and think work is soooo hard this shift so **** you for coming in. I frequented a pub for five years in Melbourne and the guy behind the bar was friendly but never once extended it to genuine small talk - I was in there once a week minimum with other regulars and never got anything. Neither did they. I found that pretty weird.

I am a big fan of the old school pub. It's a shame that they are all gone.

Regulars with a few coins on the counter ready for the next pot...i like that vibe.

I don't want some 20 year old, inked up ****ing tart living in Brunswick being rude serving me a $10 schooner because they removed the pints to slug the punters

Yeah, is the service really that good? To me it was automated. ‘Hello sir, how are you?’ Two second pause. ‘That’s fantastic.’ Two second pause. You deviate off script and they panic and don’t know what to say. I was struggling for change in a pharmacy on my first or second day and made a joke about how many clueless travellers must do this (it was in the middle of Manhattan) and this black chick just didn’t say anything. ‘Have a good day sir.’ That whole sir/madam thing absolutely shits me.

It's good in a practical sense, a bit like going through the till at Coles. Staff are attentive and take their responsibilities seriously because they have to, but it's generally pretty impersonal. If you go to a cafe or restaurant in Australia and are offered free water it's almost a shock whereas in America they are all over that sort of stuff. I hate being called sir by anyone, weirds me out.

Service is best in Italy and those countries where it’s an honest, respectable and lifelong job. They know how to joke, they know everything inside out, they’re helpful. That’s the best. Love their piss takey, cheeky, but comfortable sense of humour.

Service is best where you're in the middle ground of people giving a **** but not being essentially just cheap labour. Some people like the service in Bali which is basically just people in poverty doing whatever to survive.

Australian service is okay to really good but the issue is everyone in a cafe or behind a bar is 16-25 essentially so they’re all just odd and awkward and think work is soooo hard this shift so **** you for coming in. I frequented a pub for five years in Melbourne and the guy behind the bar was friendly but never once extended it to genuine small talk - I was in there once a week minimum with other regulars and never got anything. Neither did they. I found that pretty weird.

Service in Australia is pretty poor. There's not really any incentive to do any more than the bare minimum to keep your job. If I was working in a Woolies pub pouring $12 pints I probably wouldn't give a shit either. It's not just 'customer facing' (ugh) businesses either. I've dealt with trades and supply businesses that **** up, banks and insurance companies that **** up, even the local council ****ed up my rates. The commitment to customer service is pretty low.

"Pubs" in Australia that are only table service should be burned to the ground. Nothing more infuriating than finishing a pint and looking around for wait staff to order another. GFTO.

I wish we had those dark dingy sports bars like they have in the US, they type with the low ceilings, neon Budweiser lights and long bars. Here we have the Sporting Globe type where it's all bright and new and is more about marketing than substance.

"Pubs" in Australia that are only table service should be burned to the ground. Nothing more infuriating than finishing a pint and looking around for wait staff to order another. GFTO.

I wish we had those dark dingy sports bars like they have in the US, they type with the low ceilings, neon Budweiser lights and long bars. Here we have the Sporting Globe type where it's all bright and new and is more about marketing than substance.
At the end of the day here, it's about appeasing hipsters and flogs. Hence the dingy pubs gone and hip swank rooftop pads taking its place

WTF Pub has table service like that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three Crowns at the bottom of Errol Street has table service but it’s very odd. The staff there aside from the old codger are pretty bad. In fact that pub should be awesome but it feels a little... askew... like it’s 60% there in every single way and it hasn’t nailed even one thing... Has this weird smell and you always feel like you’re wishing it was way better than it is. Has a sad sorta depleted vibe constantly. And all the beers are expensive unless it’s ****in Draught. So there’s a good example of table service sucking.

I wish we still had pubs like Shakespeare mentioned. My dad talks about sitting down the pub with $50 and sitting there all night with your coins on your counter, and sitting there as they shuttle away until they’re gone. Some footy on the tele, the odd meal, split open a packet of Smiths hippie style. The Curtin could sort of be like that at times just with shit music and without the footy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Three Crowns at the bottom of Errol Street has table service but it’s very odd. The staff there aside from the old codger are pretty bad. In fact that pub should be awesome but it feels a little... askew... like it’s 60% there in every single way and it hasn’t nailed even one thing... Has this weird smell and you always feel like you’re wishing it was way better than it is. Has a sad sorta depleted vibe constantly. And all the beers are expensive unless it’s ****in Draught. So there’s a good example of table service sucking.

I wish we still had pubs like Shakespeare mentioned. My dad talks about sitting down the pub with $50 and sitting there all night with your coins on your counter, and sitting there as they shuttle away until they’re gone. Some footy on the tele, the odd meal, split open a packet of Smiths hippie style. The Curtin could sort of be like that at times just with shit music and without the footy.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Those were the days.

Tipping just isn't a thing in this country due to the wages being high. And I wouldn't have it the other way.

Australia's minimum wage is the highest in the world I think. It's not quite as high here but still, I'm used to the tipping thing now. In general, staff are very friendly and table service is the norm. We have a little brewery near us and I've noticed people are confused that they actually have to go to the counter to order a beer. I miss the traditional old pubs. You can come across them in cities like Victoria, Montreal or Halifax but most have that generic North American 'bar' vibe.

Woolworths Group and Wesfarmers love putting absolute minimum staff on to save $$$. And with that you get frustrated customers who can't find any help because the few workers there are constantly busy already.

And when you haven't put enough stock away or done what your boss asked, they think it's your work ethic or lack thereof

The environment corporations create at work places is shocking. The attitude of most teenagers these days is shocking but there's a lot of disgruntled workers trying to do what their arseh*le boss told them to do, and they get interrupted by "can you choose my bread for me" type shit.

It's convinced me to go to uni. **** big corporations.

Woolworths Group and Wesfarmers love putting absolute minimum staff on to save $$$. And with that you get frustrated customers who can't find any help because the few workers there are constantly busy already.

One thing that's annoying is during the day when there's massive pallets of stock in front of a large section of produce that the workers are re-stacking the shelves from and you can't get to the items that are being blocked. Why can't the nightfill workers do this when there's much fewer people in the store?

One thing that's annoying is during the day when there's massive pallets of stock in front of a large section of produce that the workers are re-stacking the shelves from and you can't get to the items that are being blocked. Why can't the nightfill workers do this when there's much fewer people in the store?
Could be new stock that needs to be immediately stacked, could be lazy nightfill, could be a manager directive, could something completely inane.

Remove this Banner Ad

Any sports bars or pubs you go to that don't serve food during the day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back