Anyone else really like crowdless footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

I like crowdless footy only if the crowdless bit includes Carey, McGuire, BT, Bradshaw and Lloyd as commentators/analysts.

Keep Jobe in though, I could listen to that dude all day. It’s like having a Will Ferrell movie on loop.

Oh poor Jobe, I've never heard a commentator lose their thought pattern mid senten......😉

I love hearing the players communicate with each other and not hearing BT prattle on about how many they've got "in the house tonight", but I love following the ebb and flow of the game based off how the crowd react

I love it.

There's a purity to it. Until of course the deadshit networks add fake noise and cover up the empty seats.

It reminds me of park footy, where the game itself is once again the star of the show.

I’ve been to many a baseball game where there may have been 100-200 people in the stands. It’s great, because you can hear everything from players talking to the dirt kicking up as they run to first base.

I’d like to imagine that’s what it’s like at Marvel right now. Of course, we’ll never know, because 7 is trying to make us believe there’s a capacity crowd. Keep calm and carry on, I guess?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind when they just add the generic white noise crowd murmur in the background, but it's pretty lame when they try to add in full sound effects with cheering for goals etc.

The Toronto Raptors played down here in Tampa this NBA season. I went to a game with a friend and they piped in fake crowd noise into the actual arena. Some of the stuff was so absurd, like at one point when a Raptor missed a free throw, a very audible “awwww” came through. Come on...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I didn't mind the crowdless footy last year and it was massively preferable to calling off the season like some were saying (still can't believe anyone ever thought that would be a better alternative).

But I must admit it was a significant letdown to tune it to a big 1 v 2 clash tonight with no crowd.

I was surprised last year how quickly I got used to it. I tend to watch the footy more than umpires or listen to commentatoes or the hoipolloi anyway.

Usually a mute watcher of neutral games so I don’t mind. Was definitely a bit weird early last season, and a bummer for games like this and the derby, but I’m also the sort of person unfazed by an empty cinema experience; I’m there primarily for the content. Could see some fans of a different stripe hating it though.

Ireckon the only sport that doesnt need a crowd - is top notch golf

Your just watching the players - their swings - their technique - their shots - so the crowd is irrelevant

Actually at the US Masters last year - because there were no spectators - you could actually see the full geographical layout of the course - some of the vision was nearly once in a lifetime - you could see the drop off say at the back of a green - which youd never seen before because there were spectators their . It was actually just pure golf
Yeah, this might be true... and that might be interesting for you as a golfing purist. But a big reason why the US Masters is always the most compelling and exciting golf tournament is the atmosphere created by noisy, passionate crowds that line the fairways, greens and tees. There is no other tournament like it. The fans who are lucky enough to get a ticket in the ballot are excited to be there and massively into it (just like AFL crowds.) You don't hear the typical polite golf clap. People are screaming "Get in the hole!" and "You're the man!" after their favourite golfer plays his shot. Massive roars when the ball takes a good bounce and lands on the green, or goes in the hole.

I still remember watching the Masters before school with my golf-obsessed dad when I just a little kid and becoming absorbed in the excitement of a close final round. The atmosphere created by the crowd adds to the occasion

Same goes with a rock concert. I could listen to a great band playing their songs without anyone else there and enjoy the music. But if you take that same band and put them in front of audience of thousands of screaming, passionate fans with the band feeding off the crowd's energy and the crowd feeding off the band's energy and then you've got something special.

Last edited:
I liked the on-field chatter, you could hear players yelling to fill gaps, defensive spots, Sicily calling an opposition player a shit-campaigner loudly for dropping a mark.

I do miss crowds but I thought it was cool to hear some things you never usually pick up on

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else really like crowdless footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back