Anyone know who abused Bachar Houli on Friday night? - Apparently John Burns

Remove this Banner Ad

"
3AW presenter John Burns has confirmed a complaint has been made against him for referring to Richmond footballer Bachar Houli as a 'terrorist'.

He doesn't recall making the comment, and is 'mortified' by the allegation.

Statement from John Burns

I had the pleasure of attending the Richmond Football Club function on Friday night. During the match, I sat with a friend and we were catching up and talking about the game. It has been suggested to me that during a conversation with my friend, I was overheard saying something which that person found offensive.

I have no recollection of making an offensive remark.

However, I acknowledge that a complaint has been made and the idea that something I've said has offended someone is mortifying to me.

If I have said anything that has offended anybody, I unreservedly apologise. In particular, to the people at the match and the Richmond Football Club.

Statement from the Richmond Football Club

Richmond Football Club acknowledges the statement released by 3AW's John Burns this afternoon in relation to an incident that took place at the MCG on Friday night.

The Club fully supports the staff member who brought this issue to its attention and accepts his version of events. We also accept the apology and now consider the matter closed.

He obviously hasn't met Bachar then.
I have been fortunate enough to have a couple of short conversations with Bachar and anyone who has met before, would never say anything like that about him.
John Burns - you are an idiot.

Let's not blow this out of proportion though. Burns is alleged to have used the word in a private conversation when talking to the person sitting next to him.

Eddie Mcguire basically called Adam Goodes an Ape...and on air to thousands of people. And kept his job.

yep its all about the ratings. Even if he had of said it on airm your right he wouldn't get sacked.

I have been fortunate enough to have a couple of short conversations with Bachar and anyone who has met before, would never say anything like that about him.

He rekons on the radio interview just on 3 aw that he's met Bachar , what an excuse though " I don't recall saying it , but if i said something offensive i apologise" . Im sure the RFC official wouldn't make something like that story up either .

Couldn't agree more ripping bloke

He rekons on the radio interview just on 3 aw that he's met Bachar , what an excuse though " I don't recall saying it , but if i said something offensive i apologise" . Im sure the RFC official wouldn't make something like that story up either .
Covered his arse without openly admitting anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to know the context of what was said, how it was said,and in what type of forum before i make any type of personal judgement.
It originally sounded like some buffoon yelling it out but that's clearly not the case.
Could have been two blokes having a tongue in cheek discussion amongst themselves and one of our "offended for others" brigade has been eaves dropping.
May also have been something entirely innapropriate of course.

im hearing grant thomas

This is well off topic, but I have heard that Grant Thomas is called "Cornflakes". It all started when Malcolm Blight was coaching St Kilda and Thomas was in the coaches boxes, behaving like a flog.

He was tipped out of the box = cornflakes.

Love it :)

Let's not blow this out of proportion though. Burns is alleged to have used the word in a private conversation when talking to the person sitting next to him.

Eddie Mcguire basically called Adam Goodes an Ape...and on air to thousands of people. And kept his job.

Idiot.

I'd like to know the context of what was said, how it was said,and in what type of forum before i make any type of personal judgement.
It originally sounded like some buffoon yelling it out but that's clearly not the case.
Could have been two blokes having a tongue in cheek discussion amongst themselves and one of our "offended for others" brigade has been eaves dropping.

Completely agree. Context is everything.

If someone is making a joke about it in private you can bet lots of others are too. That's how the ignorance really spreads. Thinking it is not illegal but it is stupid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know who abused Bachar Houli on Friday night? - Apparently John Burns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back