Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had one before. Gil tried the same trick again.

The Premier won't support another one without a pathway to the AFL.

Gil really is pathetic.
Just looked up the Tasmanian AFL Bid
Tasmania were going to enter
Nab league 2019
Nab league girls 2020
VFL 2021 or 2022
AFL target was 2025

Tasmanian, footy lover.

I don’t want a team down here. I love the local clubs too much and it would kill them.

I lived in Vic in my 20s, loved being young there, Tassie will struggle to keep players from interstate. People use cricket as an analogy but crickets have only 5 other options and still we struggle to recruit and maintain.
Just get the pathway right.
Not having an AFL team seems to have done a remarkable job of killing off local teams.

I'd argue it's time to adopt a different approach.

We had one before. Gil tried the same trick again.

The Premier won't support another one without a pathway to the AFL.

Gil really is pathetic.
As is the entire AFL in relation to Tasmania.

They have ****ed the game down there and seem intent on continuing to do so.

Just looked up the Tasmanian AFL Bid
Tasmania were going to enter
Nab league 2019
Nab league girls 2020
VFL 2021 or 2022
AFL target was 2025

Yup, thats it.

Gil was all over the first 3 points.

Took 12 months to notice the last point. Wants another 12 months to read it.

Very slow is our Gil. ;)

An all or nothing strategy when nothing means the poorest state in the country loses a major economic stimulus.
Best performing economy in Australia for the last 4 quarters. Keep it up though, one might land.

Tasmanian, footy lover.

I don’t want a team down here. I love the local clubs too much and it would kill them.
I lived in Vic in my 20s, loved being young there, Tassie will struggle to keep players from interstate. People use cricket as an analogy but crickets have only 5 other options and still we struggle to recruit and maintain.
Just get the pathway right.
AFL players would be treated like absolute stars down here, like nothing else in any other state.
When I lived in Victoria, I'd ask people which team they supported I was amazed by how often people said "I don't have a team", I stopped asking people eventually as I realised that it's simply not as popular per capita in Victoria as it is in Tasmania.

As if Gil was going to actually commit to a new club NOW - after the worst year the league has had financially, in the midst of a global pandemic, and while either bailing out or putting financial restrictions on the current clubs.

It was always going to be a ‘not now’.

Tas Premier would know that....is he just looking to cut the Roos and Hawks from the budget without losing face with the punters down there?...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best performing economy in Australia for the last 4 quarters. Keep it up though, one might land.
Great to see the Tassie economy performing so well.

Shattering news for telsor though.

Why would that be shattering news for me?
Playing dumb, how quaint.

Because it's a positive for Tassie and its AFL bid, and we can't have that, can we?

But of course, you support a Tasmanian AFL side, don't you? (As if).

As if Gil was going to actually commit to a new club NOW - after the worst year the league has had financially, in the midst of a global pandemic, and while either bailing out or putting financial restrictions on the current clubs.

Tas Premier would know that....is he just looking to cut the Roos and Hawks from the budget without losing face with the punters down there?...
Maybe.
Either way a shake up is coming.
Reckon four clubs playing two games each (say Nth & Dees in Hobart, Hawks & Saint in Launnie) would be better for fans in Tassie and better for all clubs concerned.

Last year in Hobart there was a total of 6 under 16s team. 6. For a capital city.

2 of those teams didn’t have enough players so games were played with reduced numbers. Another 2 teams regular played with

So in your mind think about 6 total teams in the Hobart area. Now think about this there are 20 senior teams that require 44 players every week. Plus 12 of those enter an u18s/19s team.
The argument that clubs are dying is a flawed one. There are too many clubs, has been for decades. Clubs that have gone into recess have been located very remotely with a local population that has decreased or like most of areas in Australia have had less children. This is not an argument for either way, but I want to inform people where the game is at currently. More local teams need to go, it’s a reality that no one seems to want to admit to. Less clubs means the clubs that survive will be stronger, more centralised funding, coaching, and investment.

Mostly they just think anything that hurts footy in Vic is a 'win' for them/their clubs/their states/the country/the world/global peace/climate change or anything else they can use to pretend they're looking at the bigger picture rather than just being small minded haters.

Soz for the late reply, but I cannot like this part of your post enough, in fact there is not enough BF real estate to click as many.

This is not a troll, it is clear that there is a certain type of non vic footy fan that seemingly has an unconscious (or even intentional!) chip on their shoulder and it seems they don't number in the small minority, at least not on here anyway.

Any thread about footy apart from SRP seem to get hijacked into 'too many teams in vic', any sniff about the state of vic in the conversation and it gets hijacked into a kick a vic competition.

Take this thread for example, the title suggests that the Tas premier has given HQ an ultimatum to provide clarity on when / where Tas could be getting a competition licence.

Then it descends into, why not? > HQ is biased > HQ is biased intentionally coz they haters > this competition is a laughing stock because too many teams in vic > I hate this comp and will complain > I'll complain but will still follow > my club is newer to the comp than any vic club but kill off old clubs anyway coz 'good of the game' > we're entitled to that coz 'fair'🤦‍♂️

No one is asking for a team NOW. Tas want a commitment that the AFL has a pathway to one coming in the FUTURE.

But isn't this the reason why the Premier has had enough. AFL promises about future entry that is designed to park the issue?
Partly yes - the biggest factor is political expedience of balancing a post pandemic budget spend to remove something the public will see as non-critical spending when more pressing areas need funding (I.e housing and health). There are more than enough tourism assets to draw as many people down here without being gaslit that our economy needs the AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back