Apple Isle Showdown: Tas Govt threatens to end Hawks, North deals if no plan for 19th side

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the stimulus point, it's clearly not giving 'bang for buck's for the Tassie Government. If the Hawks and North played Melbourne teams (yes, I know Richmond played here but the was definitely not the norm) here the you would expect maybe a 1000 or so opposition fans coming down for a holiday. Usually though it's Freo/WC/GC etc that come down to play, so no influx of tourists with those teams. The lustre of the FIFO teams is gone and the premier wants to take the relationship to the next level. What's obvious is that the AFL 'just isn't that in to Tasmania'. Just like a girl whose happy to get some attention when she's lonely and act a little flirty, however 'she's not interested in a relationship right now'.

Fair enough.

On that 'flirty' point, the footy public have voiced their support for a Tassie team.

The Media have certainly highlighted the Premier's push & Gil's lame answer.

I don't know.

It would seem a little silly though.

A 10 year build up is longer than the US took to race to the moon after Kennedy announced it!

I'm sure it could be done easily in 4-5 years.
ok 2027 at the latest then it will be good to see a Tasmania team. To be fair Tasmania should of gotten a team before Gold Coast

On the stimulus point, it's clearly not giving 'bang for buck's for the Tassie Government. If the Hawks and North played Melbourne teams (yes, I know Richmond played here but the was definitely not the norm) here the you would expect maybe a 1000 or so opposition fans coming down for a holiday. Usually though it's Freo/WC/GC etc that come down to play, so no influx of tourists with those teams. The lustre of the FIFO teams is gone and the premier wants to take the relationship to the next level. What's obvious is that the AFL 'just isn't that in to Tasmania'. Just like a girl whose happy to get some attention when she's lonely and act a little flirty, however 'she's not interested in a relationship right now'.

Every study done has the money invested in Hawthorn/North paying off big time.

Indeed, it was Hobart city council (who pays for North's games) that said they didn't want Richmond any more after Richmond offered to go down there every year...(ironically because they were too popular...locals had the game sold out, which was costing them tourism money).

Irrelevant waffle.

Irrelevant cheap shots reflect more on you than the Premiers strategy.

Its not all or nothing.

You really should broaden your thought processes.

You really dont understand politics.

So if the AFL says you're not getting a team of your own, and the best deal you can get is 4+4 from Vic FIFO teams, what then?

Last edited:
So if the AFL says you're not getting a team of your own, and they best deal you can get is 4+4 from Vic FIFO teams, what then?

I don't know, do you?

I'd say what I said above make perfect sense.

Negotiate with other clubs. Rotate more to get more interesting games & get taken less for granted.

Piss off North to show the Premier means business. They're disposable. Not loss kicking them out.

Look at NRL Melbourne Storm for a game.

Look at other winter 'events' like MONA provide.

Currently the media pressure is on Gil.

Its politics, with a little footy edge to it!!

Something different for a change. ;)

Then Peter Gutwein will try get A League team or a NRL team to Tasmania. He has already got a NBL Side in Tasmania

I don't agree. I don't think that'd work. Maybe a game or so. Thats all

AL is struggling & is a 3rd rate league.

We have no RL here. Pointless basing a team here. They'd have nothing much to offer as a community benefit.

IMO.

So if the AFL says you're not getting a team of your own, and the best deal you can get is 4+4 from Vic FIFO teams, what then?
Look elsewhere.
Indeed, it was Hobart city council (who pays for North's games) that said they didn't want Richmond any more after Richmond offered to go down there every year...(ironically because they were too popular...locals had the game sold out, which was costing them tourism money).
So doesn't this fact (I've no reason to doubt your claim) itself show that there's a large appetite for the game down here? Wouldn't it be reasonable to conclude that an AFL team could be well supported here given the apparent issue of games selling out?

What a sad , deluded soul you are.
Everyone knows it :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

Rather than personal attacks, what part of my post is deluded? How much tourism does Tasmania get compared to other states? How many young people are moving there to live? Please tell me something based on actual facts instead of moronic personal anecdotes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tasmanian, footy lover.

I don’t want a team down here. I love the local clubs too much and it would kill them.
I lived in Vic in my 20s, loved being young there, Tassie will struggle to keep players from interstate. People use cricket as an analogy but crickets have only 5 other options and still we struggle to recruit and maintain.
Just get the pathway right.

Rather than personal attacks, what part of my post is deluded? How much tourism does Tasmania get compared to other states? How many young people are moving there to live? Please tell me something based on actual facts instead of moronic personal anecdotes.
You cited the word facts but then offered nothing to justify saying no one wants to come here.Truly deluded.

Tasmanian, footy lover.

I don’t want a team down here. I love the local clubs too much and it would kill them.
I lived in Vic in my 20s, loved being young there, Tassie will struggle to keep players from interstate. People use cricket as an analogy but crickets have only 5 other options and still we struggle to recruit and maintain.
Just get the pathway right.

Yes well I think its obvious how well thats doing & we don't even have a club!

We're losing more clubs every year.

Smithton & East Devonport look gone. OS Richmond won't be back anytime soon.

IMO A structure like WA & SA with an AFL team at the apex is the best bet for footy to survive/thrive here.

As I said above, Cricket has seen a lot of prospective players come down & play club cricket in order to get noticed. Basketball will see even more guys want to get a gig with NW Thunder & Hobart Chargers in NBL1, to get noticed for the NBL team.

Locals need not go interstate to get noticed. We want the same for football.

Yes well I think its obvious how well thats doing & we don't even have a club!

We're losing more clubs every year.

Smithton & East Devonport look gone. OS Richmond won't be back anytime soon.

IMO A structure like WA & SA with an AFL team at the apex is the best bet for footy to survive/thrive here.

As I said above, Cricket has seen a lot of prospective players come down & play club cricket in order to get noticed. Basketball will see even more guys want to get a gig with NW Thunder & Hobart Chargers in NBL1, to get noticed for the NBL team.

Locals need not go interstate to get noticed. We want the same for football.
wasn’t Tasmania supposably going to have their own VFL team this year

Uh huh.

An all or nothing strategy when nothing means the poorest state in the country loses a major economic stimulus.

At a time when the charity they've been living off from the mainland is likely to dry up.

But hey, you've got a slim chance of getting what you want, so why not go all out!
Tell us all again how you support a Tassie AFL side telsor.

Unless there is another body charged with the responsibility that I am unaware of, it's the AFL which is responsible for the health of the game at all levels.

They are an abject failure in this regard when it comes to Tassie. They clearly don't care about the game there and, as a result, just pay it lip service.

I hope Tassie get a team but there’s no threat of Tasmanian’s following another sport, as outside of two clubs there’s not much wider benefit for the AFL wether be it ratings or players.

This current Tassie strategy is definitely the best one, continuing with the status quo guarantees not getting a team.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back