APS 2005 1st 18 level: Players, teams etc

Remove this Banner Ad

I have never seen any more blatant 'buying' of players in the APS then what Haileybury have done for this season.
It is evident with the recent naming of all TAC team lists. Going through you find a few Haileybury players
Andrew Fleming(Dragons)
Daniel Turcarelli(Dragons)
Daniel Beckwith(Dragons)
Aaron McKillip(Dragons)
Jarrod Plymin(Dragons)
Jack Hellier(Dragons)
Raso(plays for Carlton)?

I find it disgraceful that all these players are on footy scholarships. There would probably be people i missed because these are only the guys that put Haileybury College as their club. Haileybury is a joke of a school. Also their outrageous margin in winning the APS swimming was due to scholarships. I must say congratulations to Scotch, Caulfield and Xavier who came 1st, 2nd and 3rd(correct me if i'm wrong), in the non-scholarship giving schools though i'm still doubtful on Caulfield, some say the money has run dry.

davo4030 said:
I have never seen any more blatant 'buying' of players in the APS then what Haileybury have done for this season.
It is evident with the recent naming of all TAC team lists. Going through you find a few Haileybury players
Andrew Fleming(Dragons)
Daniel Beckwith(Dragons)
Aaron McKillip(Dragons)
Jarrod Plymin(Dragons)
Jack Hellier(Dragons)
Raso(plays for Carlton)?

I find it disgraceful that all these players are on footy scholarships. There would probably be people i missed because these are only the guys that put Haileybury College as their club. Haileybury is a joke of a school. Also their outrageous margin in winning the APS swimming was due to scholarships. I must say congratulations to Scotch, Caulfield and Xavier who came 1st, 2nd and 3rd(correct me if i'm wrong), in the non-scholarship giving schools though i'm still doubtful on Caulfield, some say the money has run dry.
Haileybury did this last year and pretty much bought a whole side
and you're right on the non-scholarship schools although Caulfield still give it's just that they're too good for their own good giving it to people who play AFL whilst in year 12 so they don't play for school

davo4030 said:
Andrew Fleming(Dragons)
Daniel Beckwith(Dragons)
Aaron McKillip(Dragons)
Jarrod Plymin(Dragons)
Jack Hellier(Dragons)
Raso(plays for Carlton)?

you have missed roughly 15, they have others that aren't as amaising that are on scholarships, and they don't just do it for footy they do it for cricket as well, roughly 9 of there 1st XI are on scholarships which makes it impossible for a school like wesley who has 0 scholarships to compete, it should be restricted to 1 to 2 scholarships per aps 1sts team. They are just sh1t at sport as there 2's get thumped by 100+ points each week due to lack of decent footballers.

nicho_magic said:
you have missed roughly 15, they have others that aren't as amaising that are on scholarships, and they don't just do it for footy they do it for cricket as well, roughly 9 of there 1st XI are on scholarships which makes it impossible for a school like wesley who has 0 scholarships to compete, it should be restricted to 1 to 2 scholarships per aps 1sts team. They are just sh1t at sport as there 2's get thumped by 100+ points each week due to lack of decent footballers.
they also do it for tennis and i think athletics

As a ex Haileybury boy i suppose that i have to put in a defence for my school.
I have counted the number of haileybury whether they have finished last year and are still eligble for TAC or they are still there and the total number of players is 15 and i suppose counting raso it would come to 16. However not every player is on a scolarship just for footy. Mc killop who is also the school vice captain is on a general excellence scollarship which is the same for about half of last years team.
Haileybury also has been a cellar dweller in recent years due to its location it has been unable to get the sporting callibre of schools such as scotch (a school which i also attended for many years) due to the amount of ethnic students. Also sports such as soccer and hockey are by far the most popular sports. Haileybury also has extreme depth in cricket due to the amount of indian and sri lankan students. Also many other schools have Boarders that come from country victoria and interstate. Haileybury does not have this so what they have done is used scolarships now so dat in the future they are recognised as having a good footballing and sporting pedigree. so that they are able to gain decent footballers from brighton, sandy, bewick and mt eliza areas. Also players to look out for are Valenti, turcarelli, lockwood, beckwith, plymin (all sandy), spencer roberts from oakleigh and Magner and Comben from dandenong!!!

The scolarship system not only goes through their 1st 18 team but through their 10a levels. A colleague's son of mine attends Melbourne Grammar and plays in their respective "A" sides. He was telling me that in year 9 the MGS 9A'S defeated Halibury 9A's by over a 100 points, but in Year10 Hailbury were able to defeat that same MGS team by a similar margin thanks to a couple of very handy inclusions.

saintgoof said:
As a ex Haileybury boy i suppose that i have to put in a defence for my school.
I have counted the number of haileybury whether they have finished last year and are still eligble for TAC or they are still there and the total number of players is 15 and i suppose counting raso it would come to 16. However not every player is on a scolarship just for footy. Mc killop who is also the school vice captain is on a general excellence scollarship which is the same for about half of last years team.
Haileybury also has been a cellar dweller in recent years due to its location it has been unable to get the sporting callibre of schools such as scotch (a school which i also attended for many years) due to the amount of ethnic students. Also sports such as soccer and hockey are by far the most popular sports. Haileybury also has extreme depth in cricket due to the amount of indian and sri lankan students. Also many other schools have Boarders that come from country victoria and interstate. Haileybury does not have this so what they have done is used scolarships now so dat in the future they are recognised as having a good footballing and sporting pedigree. so that they are able to gain decent footballers from brighton, sandy, bewick and mt eliza areas. Also players to look out for are Valenti, turcarelli, lockwood, beckwith, plymin (all sandy), spencer roberts from oakleigh and Magner and Comben from dandenong!!!
you have got to be joking.
firstly non of your sports have any depth. Your 1sts hockey team was woefull last year and if it wasn't for 2 scholarship guys one, who beat us single handedly (scored 5 of 7 goals and set up the other 2) 7-5 and he plays for australia, and another who was average you would not have won. other than these 2 players your team was shocking. your soccer team got thumped continually, and your cricket team had no depth whatsoever you had nine scholarships and the other 2 batted 9-10 and did not bowl. Great depth when you don't have a second XI as well.

Not many schools have boarders big deal.
You have 15 tac players but soo many more that are good but not good enough for tac i can think of roughly another 6-7. your school is a disgrace and is making the aps unfare.

nicho_magic said:
you have got to be joking.
firstly non of your sports have any depth. Your 1sts hockey team was woefull last year and if it wasn't for 2 scholarship guys one, who beat us single handedly (scored 5 of 7 goals and set up the other 2) 7-5 and he plays for australia, and another who was average you would not have won. other than these 2 players your team was shocking. your soccer team got thumped continually, and your cricket team had no depth whatsoever you had nine scholarships and the other 2 batted 9-10 and did not bowl. Great depth when you don't have a second XI as well.

Not many schools have boarders big deal.
You have 15 tac players but soo many more that are good but not good enough for tac i can think of roughly another 6-7. your school is a disgrace and is making the aps unfare.
the truth hurts.

dutchy12 said:
The scolarship system not only goes through their 1st 18 team but through their 10a levels. A colleague's son of mine attends Melbourne Grammar and plays in their respective "A" sides. He was telling me that in year 9 the MGS 9A'S defeated Halibury 9A's by over a 100 points, but in Year10 Hailbury were able to defeat that same MGS team by a similar margin thanks to a couple of very handy inclusions.

Totally agree, in yr 9(2 years back) we killed(about 10goals) Haileybury but last year, with 2 changes to our team, somehow they were able to beat us by 10 goals. One word, Scholarships.

davo4030 said:
. I must say congratulations to Scotch, Caulfield and Xavier who came 1st, 2nd and 3rd(correct me if i'm wrong), in the non-scholarship giving schools though i'm still doubtful on Caulfield, some say the money has run dry.

All 3 of those schools give sporting scolarships but not in the excess of Hailebury.

dutchy12 said:
All 3 of those schools give sporting scolarships but not in the excess of Hailebury.
Xavier give 1 or two per team but 90% of them are Academic scholarships. There are always exceptions one of them being Cody Sibasado who is an aboriginal that was on exchange and was given a scholarship to board

And with Caufiield

Well you just have to look at all the country boys comign to baord there eg McQualter, Walker, Garubba, Goddard etc.

Don't think Judd was on a scolarship though does anyone know about this?

I occasionally browse around here but I've never felt the need to post.

With regards to Haileybury, I am an Old Boy and I'd be lying if I said the school doesn't still have a place in my heart. Hence when I see people calling Haileybury a joke I have to say something. However I'm not going to bother defending the scholarship scheme as it's an absolute disgrace, I just want to point out that just because the Principal/Sports people whoever decide to hand out scholarships does not mean that the school community supports it.

I still talk to a few guys who go there, it's only been the last few years that the scholarships have become so widespread. Many teachers at the school as well as 90% of the 'real' students don't have much time for the scholarship people, simply put they're known as arrogant mercenaries with ******** for brains. They couldn't care less about the school and are only looking out for themselves. The number I've jokes I've heard about them is incredible. I think you'll find the majority of parents are the same, why should they fork out 15k+ a year just so some kid who can kick a footy can get a free ride?

If it weren't for the scholarships Haileybury would be ordinairy for two reasons in my humble opinion. Firstly, the ethnic makeup, lots of Asians + Indians/Sri Lankans who don't really care for sport. Secondly the structure going right back to year 7 is not right, this is something I would like to see the school work on.

Quite frankly when I read a lot of the stuff on here (90% of which is true) I'm ashamed. I remember the Aths Days where we would come 8th or something, but still make the loudest noise by far. Same goes for the rowing. We didn't care if we lost, it was OUR mates out there giving it their all, not some guy who we didn't know the name of. Now I'm told the atmopshere is like a library at such events. For what it's worth I'm told that only four members of last years footy team had been at the school since year 7.

However Caulfield have done similar in the past, one only needs to look at their Aths team. Most schools give out scholarships as well, lets not forget that. Never the less, not to the extent that my old school does. So please, do not smear the whole Haileybury community with this brush, we are not a joke, the Principal or whoever is responsable for what's going on is. The vast majority of people hate what is going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AlwaysCarlton said:

With regards to Haileybury, I am an Old Boy and I'd be lying if I said the school doesn't still have a place in my heart. Hence when I see people calling Haileybury a joke I have to say something. However I'm not going to bother defending the scholarship scheme as it's an absolute disgrace, I just want to point out that just because the Principal/Sports people whoever decide to hand out scholarships does not mean that the school community supports it.

I still talk to a few guys who go there, it's only been the last few years that the scholarships have become so widespread. Many teachers at the school as well as 90% of the 'real' students don't have much time for the scholarship people, simply put they're known as arrogant mercenaries with ******** for brains. They couldn't care less about the school and are only looking out for themselves. The number I've jokes I've heard about them is incredible. I think you'll find the majority of parents are the same, why should they fork out 15k+ a year just so some kid who can kick a footy can get a free ride?

If it weren't for the scholarships Haileybury would be ordinairy for two reasons in my humble opinion. Firstly, the ethnic makeup, lots of Asians + Indians/Sri Lankans who don't really care for sport. Secondly the structure going right back to year 7 is not right, this is something I would like to see the school work on.

Quite frankly when I read a lot of the stuff on here (90% of which is true) I'm ashamed. I remember the Aths Days where we would come 8th or something, but still make the loudest noise by far. Same goes for the rowing. We didn't care if we lost, it was OUR mates out there giving it their all, not some guy who we didn't know the name of. Now I'm told the atmopshere is like a library at such events. For what it's worth I'm told that only four members of last years footy team had been at the school since year 7.

However Caulfield have done similar in the past, one only needs to look at their Aths team. Most schools give out scholarships as well, lets not forget that. Never the less, not to the extent that my old school does. So please, do not smear the whole Haileybury community with this brush, we are not a joke, the Principal or whoever is responsable for what's going on is. The vast majority of people hate what is going on.
good post champ, very true

AlwaysCarlton said:

we have someone from the school giving it out

Yeah I've heard that most of the normal kids thier don't get on very well witht he scolarships.

Did anyone else hear that St Bedes took legal action on them

The story I was told was that the Principal of St. Bedes had a crack at Haileybury on the front page of his newsletter for pinching all his good players. In response, the Principal of Haileybury said that he would be seeking legal advice. That's all I know. Even though it's not right I don't think St. Bedes have a legal case because a group of teenagers changed school.

AlwaysCarlton said:
The story I was told was that the Principal of St. Bedes had a crack at Haileybury on the front page of his newsletter for pinching all his good players. In response, the Principal of Haileybury said that he would be seeking legal advice. That's all I know. Even though it's not right I don't think St. Bedes have a legal case because a group of teenagers changed school.
yes but he is making a point at it is a general rule amongst aps/ags schools that if a student is at a private school they are untouchable and cannot be poached, shows the scum of haileybury.

Speaking of giving sports scholraships, an acrticle written in the age today.

Top schools pledge to play fair
By Chee Chee Leung
Education reporter
March 29, 2005

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Guidelines accepted by leading schools reject offering scholarships to win sporting kudos.

Leading private schools have said they will not poach students for their sporting ability, saying it is unfair to recruit athletes for competition success.

Some schools, including Melbourne Grammar and Haileybury College, this month adopted guidelines ruling out scholarships based on "sporting prowess".

The schools have agreed that it is "neither fair nor appropriate" to offer scholarships to senior students to win premierships or gain dominance in particular sports.

The move by the Associated Public Schools of Victoria - a competitive sporting group of 11 schools - comes after allegations emerged last year that some private schools were poaching top students from the Catholic sector.

Michael Urwin, chairman of the APS Heads Association, acknowledged that there had been public speculation for many years, and said he hoped the guidelines would "get rid of all that innuendo".

Advertisement
Advertisement"I think this statement to our communities helps affirm that we don't believe poaching - if we use that term - is appropriate," Mr Urwin said. "We want to run a credible and fair competition."

The other APS schools are Brighton Grammar, Carey Grammar, Caulfield Grammar, Geelong Grammar, Scotch College, St Kevin's College, Geelong College, Wesley College and Xavier College.

It is believed to be the first time in Victoria that a group of non-government schools has produced a set of specific guidelines to tackle the issue of scholarships where sporting expertise is a criterion.

The Age reported last year on claims by the principal of St Bede's College, Mentone, that Haileybury had offered scholarships to some of its best sports performers.

At the time, Haileybury's vice-principal said the school was always interested in finding new talent, but that it was often the parents who made "unsolicited applications".

The principal of Essendon's St Bernard's College, Frank FitzGerald, said there had been a "bidding war" for his students in recent years.

He said the latest case involved a year 8 student and top athlete who received unsolicited phone calls during the summer holidays from a coach offering a scholarship for Caulfield Grammar. A spokesman for that school said it "absolutely denies" the allegation.

Vin Feeney, president of the Principals Association of Victorian Catholic Secondary Schools, recalled one poaching attempt two years ago in which a student was approached in the change rooms after an athletics carnival by a teacher from a prominent eastern suburbs school offering a scholarship.

Mr Feeney said cherry-picking students was "unconscionable behaviour".

The president of the Victorian Association of Secondary School Principals, Andrew Blair, said the guidelines were "a step in the right direction".

I just want to know how the APS intends to police the agreement that there'll be no sports scholarships given out.
It's all well and good saying that "we won't give out sports scholarships" and that they've, "pledged to play fair" but i just don't think it'll happen, and i would like to know what happens to schools that break this boundary and how will they find out if the boundaries been broken??

Pepi said:
Paul Hood is coach of St Joeys first 18 this year in Herald Shield. He's a good coach and was a good player, won the TAC cup league b & f in 1995, should of got drafted but was too small

Paul Hood spearheaded St.Joey's to the Associated Catholic Colleges title in 1994 (Parade, Assumption, St.Bernard's etc), in a team which Matthew Scarlett (then in year 10) could not find a place in.

Just one player in that team got drafted (Nigel Credlin-Fitzroy).

They also made the semi-finals of the Herald-Sun Shield, before getting pumped by 99 points at Arden Street by a Parade side which had players like Jarrod Molloy (then getting a regualr game at the 'Roys) and half the Northern Knights team which went on to win the TAC Cup.

The Joeys boys benefited from playing together with the schools off shoot footy club on a Saturday, and it was no surprise they went on to win the Geelong league Under 18 title by a cosndierable margin.

davo4030 said:
Speaking of giving sports scholraships, an acrticle written in the age today.

Top schools pledge to play fair
By Chee Chee Leung
Education reporter
March 29, 2005

Page Tools
Email to a friend Printer format
Guidelines accepted by leading schools reject offering scholarships to win sporting kudos.

Leading private schools have said they will not poach students for their sporting ability, saying it is unfair to recruit athletes for competition success.

Some schools, including Melbourne Grammar and Haileybury College, this month adopted guidelines ruling out scholarships based on "sporting prowess".

The schools have agreed that it is "neither fair nor appropriate" to offer scholarships to senior students to win premierships or gain dominance in particular sports.

The move by the Associated Public Schools of Victoria - a competitive sporting group of 11 schools - comes after allegations emerged last year that some private schools were poaching top students from the Catholic sector.

Michael Urwin, chairman of the APS Heads Association, acknowledged that there had been public speculation for many years, and said he hoped the guidelines would "get rid of all that innuendo".

Advertisement
Advertisement"I think this statement to our communities helps affirm that we don't believe poaching - if we use that term - is appropriate," Mr Urwin said. "We want to run a credible and fair competition."

The other APS schools are Brighton Grammar, Carey Grammar, Caulfield Grammar, Geelong Grammar, Scotch College, St Kevin's College, Geelong College, Wesley College and Xavier College.

It is believed to be the first time in Victoria that a group of non-government schools has produced a set of specific guidelines to tackle the issue of scholarships where sporting expertise is a criterion.

The Age reported last year on claims by the principal of St Bede's College, Mentone, that Haileybury had offered scholarships to some of its best sports performers.

At the time, Haileybury's vice-principal said the school was always interested in finding new talent, but that it was often the parents who made "unsolicited applications".

The principal of Essendon's St Bernard's College, Frank FitzGerald, said there had been a "bidding war" for his students in recent years.

He said the latest case involved a year 8 student and top athlete who received unsolicited phone calls during the summer holidays from a coach offering a scholarship for Caulfield Grammar. A spokesman for that school said it "absolutely denies" the allegation.

Vin Feeney, president of the Principals Association of Victorian Catholic Secondary Schools, recalled one poaching attempt two years ago in which a student was approached in the change rooms after an athletics carnival by a teacher from a prominent eastern suburbs school offering a scholarship.

Mr Feeney said cherry-picking students was "unconscionable behaviour".

The president of the Victorian Association of Secondary School Principals, Andrew Blair, said the guidelines were "a step in the right direction".

I just want to know how the APS intends to police the agreement that there'll be no sports scholarships given out.
It's all well and good saying that "we won't give out sports scholarships" and that they've, "pledged to play fair" but i just don't think it'll happen, and i would like to know what happens to schools that break this boundary and how will they find out if the boundaries been broken??
i read this article as well and it is utter rubbish. I know plenty of people on scholarships at heiylebury that wouldn't no what school was due to there success at sport, they are very bad at school. sports scholarships are rampant and they won't stop especially with a principle like heiylebury's

Remove this Banner Ad

APS 2005 1st 18 level: Players, teams etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back