APS pre seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

davo4030 said:
I think you'll find Scotch also has some aborigines that will play 1st footy this year. One, i think, is a nephew of Dean Rioli and the other came from Darwin. It's always great to watch them go around and show off some magic.

And you think scotch wont claim them if they are drafted? :rolleyes:

flashback said:
And you think scotch wont claim them if they are drafted? :rolleyes:

No doubt they'll claim them, just as Caulfield do to their scholarship takers and what Haileybury do too.
One Rioli, the elder one, got homesick and left last year whilst the other stayed, in yr.10 now, and will probably play 1sts. The other Aboriginal, Nathan Djukurra(on Oakleigh's list) is the arguably the most skillful at Scotch at the moment, along with Nick Smith. I don't know if they'll get drafted, but they'll be good to watch come cold Saturday Arvo's in winter.

got a super little list of melbourne high school past players that might have u APS fellas think twice about how good u think u are:

brownlow medalists: colin austin, neil roberts, graham teasedale, roy wright

cameron bruce,rupert betheras,brendan bower,neville crowe,brian dixon,allan davis,robbie flower,chris flower,ross funcke,john gill,norm goss,david grant,ilija grgic,brent grgic,tom hafey,rene kink,mathew knights,mark lee,andy lovell,glenn lovett,gary lyon,phil manassa,keith miller,paul morrish,david parkin,bill picken,henry ritterman,michael roberts,jeff sarau,david schwarz,morris shapir,ewan thompson,stephen tingay,bluey truscott,dale weightman,jason wild,trevor wilson,bryan wood

theres about another 50 guys who played vfl/afl but these are the big puppie, enjoy scotchies!

davo4030 said:
Ease up turbo. Non of this sport scholarship mumbo jumbo needs to be brought up.

Thought I touched a raw nerve last time I mentioned recruiting. Interesting to see that Xavier and scotch are following in Caulfield and Haileyburys footsteps. It's sad to think that now to be on par with the other schools (Haileybury and Caulfield) that sporting scholarships need to be given out.

So mate in the last 10 years, melbourne high had 2 AFL players?? compared to at least 10 listed by the APS boys? Skevs and Xavier could easily name that number for the past 50 years!! so we still think APS is better mate!

Yeh no suprise the two catholic schools have dominated in drafting, dont think one of those has been on scholarship either! and skevs will still compete with all the other schools without one scholarship player this yr, and might even add another draft pick

With you other non aps boys trying to enter the argument, dont u think its funny how john rombotis is now at Skevs Old Boys, and Bryan Wood sent his son to skevs!

Johnny Utah #9 said:
Judda? Hello? What planet are you from mate?

SKC have produced in the past 10 years more AFL players than any other APS school, without 1 scholarship or the school population or facilities of elsewhere.

I think the Scott twins & Steve Powell might disagree with your comments on SKC being soft!

The list as follows:

S. Garlick (WB/Syd)
C. Scott (Bris)
B. Scott (Bris/Haw)
S. Powell (WB/Melb/St K)
P. Greenham (Rich) (Senior List 1998 - 99)
J. Mahoney (Coll/WB/Port)
C. Bossong (Rich) (Rookie List 1998 - 99)
L. Williams (Melb)
M. Lucas (WB) (Rookie List 2000)
R. O'Keefe (Syd)
L. Penny (WB/St K)
this guy is kidding himself

cfc05 said:
So mate in the last 10 years, melbourne high had 2 AFL players?? compared to at least 10 listed by the APS boys? Skevs and Xavier could easily name that number for the past 50 years!! so we still think APS is better mate!

Yeh no suprise the two catholic schools have dominated in drafting, dont think one of those has been on scholarship either! and skevs will still compete with all the other schools without one scholarship player this yr, and might even add another draft pick

have a closer look "mate". bruce, knights, lyon, lovell, lovett, grgic X2, grant, thompson, funcke, wild.
by the way smartarse no other school boasts those numbers or quality of players. xavs have had something like 90 vfl/afl players whereas mhs has had 135. Anyway i used to goto an APS (brighton grammar) school n their best player was bloody some dude who played for essendon 100 years ago. u see mhs doesnt buy their players we actually get them thru a sheer flook maybe APS schools should try it n see how good u are. btw u might wanna know that until the early 90's mhs was the number 1 football school for about 30 years running n dont even bother tryng to dispute that.

Please Don't think that Haileybury has such a poor football history due to peformance in the last 3 years and the recent addition of too many scholaship kids and by the way the Premiship tally from 1959 onwards (when the last additons of the schools to the APS was)
Xavier 23
Scotch 10
Haileybury 6
Wesley 6
Melbourne 5
Brighton 2
Caulfield 2
Geelong College 2
Carey 1
St Kevins 1
Geel Gram 0

Xavier is cleary the Force

And Haileybury boys drafted in the last 5 or so years:scholarshiped when specified
Dylan Smith Kangaroos/Fremantle
Brett Moyle St Kilda
Paul Corrigan Geelong
Jarred Moore Sydney
Rowan Nanya Bulldogs rookie list (Scholarship)
Anthony Raso Carlton

The Two Haileybury non scholarship kids that hold the hopes of being drafted ar James Magner (refused to play School football last year because of the scholarship but this year will pull on the magenta and black) Way to big for school footy, Will be Haileybury's best player and will dominate Stingrays. Spencer Roberts Football captain last year on Chargers list.

Don't worry I am not a fan of the scholarships and watch out 2nd XVIII players because Haileybury fee paying 1stXVII will be playing you.

As it has been said bout 10 times on his, skc dont buy their players either!! so no effecting us there either.

Lyon, lovell and lovett didnt even play this century mate - so very much doubt they went to school in the last 10 years! but yeah bruce is an absolute gun. Not doubting mhs arnt a great footballing school, but on the whole think aps schools kill any other league.

Anyway xavier boys, whats the goss on tarrant and other new recruits, kennedy looking for a big yr

By the way Anthony Raso is on scholarship, so dont even try and say he isnt!

Nicho magic, whys that guy kidding himself - u believe the scotts r soft? or disputing weather that abundance of players all went to SKC??

Anyone know how the Geelongs are looking this yr?

cfc05 said:
As it has been said bout 10 times on his, skc dont buy their players either!! so no effecting us there either.

Lyon, lovell and lovett didnt even play this century mate - so very much doubt they went to school in the last 10 years! but yeah bruce is an absolute gun. Not doubting mhs arnt a great footballing school, but on the whole think aps schools kill any other league.

Anyway xavier boys, whats the goss on tarrant and other new recruits, kennedy looking for a big yr

Anyone know how the Geelongs are looking this yr?

yeh i thought u meant played AFL in the last 10 years. the numbers will dry up tho coz the govt. hardly lets us have anyone for sport let alone footy. n no doubt APS is an awesome league we dont even play in one coz vsssa is crap and full of idiots from the sticks trying to snipe ppl. we'll do alrite this year tho in praccy matches against like scotch, whitefriars, marcelin, wesley, brighton and melbourne grammar. we've got some TAC cup players ie johnston (son wayne)

raso is on a general excellence scholarship
his brother came to the school before the word scholarship was even used i have no doubt he would be here with or without a scholarship

saintgoof said:
raso is on a general excellence scholarship
his brother came to the school before the word scholarship was even used i have no doubt he would be here with or without a scholarship

Asked him about that???
Have personally heard him say he would have left school and play for carlton if he didnt have to see out his scholarship - after all it is a contract!!
He is a top guy tho, and im sure he has alot of school spirit ( seen him at head of the river, swimming, etc), but most of those boys wouldnt be seen at a school event besides football matches.

So yeah, think football is the only thing keeping him at hailerbury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah i know hes on a scholarship but i didn't think it was a football, unlike other APS schools, Haileybury call a Football Scholarship a Football Scholahsip and a General Excellence Scholarship a General Excellence Scholaship.

Raso is still very overrated as he is far from the best haileybury player and didn't come in top 10 in the Best and Fairest last year.

Mckillop (School Vice Captain) and Magner are the non scholaship kids who will star, and good on them.

Can any Scotch boys confirm the rumour we smelt at Haileybury and that is that you had a Aborginal come down on a "Cultural Exchange" but didn't see out the football season because he knocked up his girlfriend and had to go back for the birth. Very Scotch like ;)

Who are these non APS fools trying to kid?
Xavier = best footy school going around in the last 5 if not 20 years.

Don't worry I am not a fan of the scholarships and watch out 2nd XVIII players because Haileybury fee paying 1stXVII will be playing you.
Did Xavier 2nds beat your real 1st last year? (I seriosly can't remember)
Also your thirds or should i say 2nds were a good side last year.

saintgoof said:
Yeah i know hes on a scholarship but i didn't think it was a football, unlike other APS schools, Haileybury call a Football Scholarship a Football Scholahsip and a General Excellence Scholarship a General Excellence Scholaship.

Raso is still very overrated as he is far from the best haileybury player and didn't come in top 10 in the Best and Fairest last year.

Mckillop (School Vice Captain) and Magner are the non scholaship kids who will star, and good on them.

Can any Scotch boys confirm the rumour we smelt at Haileybury and that is that you had a Aborginal come down on a "Cultural Exchange" but didn't see out the football season because he knocked up his girlfriend and had to go back for the birth. Very Scotch like ;)
Very Scotch like? :confused:
But two guys weren't involved. :eek:

Sorry couldn't resist.

saintgoof said:

If it's from a couple of years ago then yes I can confirm that one, was in year 12 at the time, remember a mate who was FB of the firsts telling me. Ossie I think his name was from memory, may have the wrong bloke.

For the record, Scotch don't claim anyone who spends six months at the school from aboriginal communities - eg Scotch don't claim Matty Whelan.

saintgoof said:

Didnt Raso finsh 6th in ur B&F mate, thats wat all the results say???

Who else has played prackies? gotta be some other schools besides scotch and xavier looking good atm?????

cfc05 said:
Chris Cain is far from playing??? whered u get that goss buddy, cause its far from right! he will be fit and ready to go rd 1!
hmmmmm....caino will definately not be fully fit by round 1! far from it "buddy"!! he only has started doing light training last week and isnt allowed any contact yet.. wont be peak fitness unitl about round 5 or 6 i'd say...once he does though he'll get drafted at the end of the year..no doubt about it!!

Maybe an APS salary cap needs to be put in place to stop the never ending cheque books of Haileybury and Caulfield :D. I'm sick to death of Haileybury and Caulfield deciding on what sport they will be exceptionally good at one particular time (Haileybury recently footy, tennis, swimming, basketball - will give them table tennis on their own merits) and Caulfield (ATHLETICS 10 OR MORE IN A ROW, swimming). Stop the bull******** propaganda and show us your legit teams.

Scotch are all geared up for a big season in 05. Up forward, 194cm Ainger has added bulk to his tall frame and will be one of the most dominant key forwards in the league this year. Will be hard to restrict to less than 4 goals each game. Another star tall is ed barlow. He's 193cm but he's super quick. The quickest player at scotch, a super athlete, very agile.
Nick Smith - Super clean hands, excellent disposal, great reader of the game. Dean rioli-like deliveries inside 50 (on natural left boot), can also kick better than most on his right. Year 11 this year, our best midfielder, one of the best players going around in the APS this year.

Not many others are well known amongst outsiders but here are a few of the names who have had big preseasons and who scotchies are expecting big things from in 2005AD.

Rattray - super rugged hard nose-hitting layer. Much shorter than the great Glenn Archer but style of play doesnt contrast too much. Courageous little fella who knows nothing of soft- ********-initis - doesn't ever soft out of a contest
Davis - quick dashing ball-carrier, runs the lines well. Can also kick multiple goals and tear apart oppositions when he's playing in his preferred position, out on the wing.
Pike - Left foot forward who is very underrated. Can kick the ball a mile and take the pack marks. Quite pacey as well.
Peters - Ball-magnet
Green - Ruck/Key position. Can take a screamer and often does.
Colman - Big marking forward. Plays like Riewoldt in many ways. Runs huge distances for marks. Capable of kicking 30 goals in the season.
Djekurra - Exciting aboriginal capable of the impossible. Ultra-smooth goal kicking midfielder. Runs well, smoother than a 1980 civic (and they're quite good)

No shortages of hardness in the side. Fitness is also a strength of the side this year. If the side plays to their potential, they can beat all other APS sides no doubt. Round 11 against MGS will be a ripper. The battle for the cordner-eggleston returns to Scotch for the first time since 1999. The other most anticipated match for scotch will be against Xavier up at Xavier in round 3. The side is set for a great season.

juDDa said:
hmmmmm....caino will definately not be fully fit by round 1! far from it "buddy"!! he only has started doing light training last week and isnt allowed any contact yet!!

Just wait and see, caino will be there rd 1! and will play before hand aswell.

Scotch look good, played any practise games yet? Rattas will be very hard to stop this yr, veyr hard at the ball - he would have some of the best skills down at scotch as well wouldnt he????

Most of the boys seem to be from the core yr 12 group, so last time they played together was yr 10 and by far the three most succesful sides in that yr were xavier skevs and brighton. So your bunch of superstars aka riewoldt and archer obviously didnt do too much that yr!

That cant be Henry Peters can it? if so, good player - not slightly over rated tho?? He must have a twin brother!! U scotchies wouldnt over rate ne of ur own!!

cfc05 said:
Most of the boys seem to be from the core yr 12 group

correct young son. the ones mentioned are year 12s (except smithy). They lacked support back in year 10. THe best (Ainger, Rattas, Davis etc.) were good, but there wasnt enough depth at the time. The then year 9's (this years year 11s) were very good, which means that this year (with the 2 year levels playing together) looks very promising. Ill mention others which shouldve been mentioned up above (year 11's): R Njoku, D Scheetz, C Oshanessy, S Sherwin, P Jacobs, T Mead, T Burnett, E Whitelaw, D Tolson.

cfc05 said:
Didnt Raso finsh 6th in ur B&F mate, thats wat all the results say???

Who else has played prackies? gotta be some other schools besides scotch and xavier looking good atm?????

from what i remember Spencer Roberts and Shane Valenti equal first then Nick Harrison Aaron Murray Andrew Fleming Matthew Fankhauser Tom Chisholm Jarryd Plyminn

Raso definatly wasn't in the top group.

By the was does any1 want to have a prediciton of the ladder for the end of the season. There seems to be little word from Geelong College who i rated as them as a top team last year

Geelong College have one of their best teams in ten years, and will definitely be a real contender. Banjanin from falcons is a certain dratfee and will be the best ruckman in the competition when he is fully fit after having op. They have 7 players over 190 and a large group of hard midfielders. They also have the sons of Michael Turner, Ricky Barham and Bryan Cordy. The boys cant wait to take on that undisciplined Moussi from St Kevins in the first round. Ron Watt, geelong assistant coach, has joined the coaching staff as the scholl seeks to make the most of such a strong team.

Remove this Banner Ad

APS pre seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back