Expansion Are FS and Academy Juniors exempt from bring taken by Tasmania?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we know what sort of conesssions Tasmania will be getting yet. I think the AFL will have learnt from Gold Coast and GWS and I think there will be more of a focus on forcing Tasmania to bring in more experienced players rather than having a team filled with nothing but kids.

I don't think we know what sort of conesssions Tasmania will be getting yet. I think the AFL will have learnt from Gold Coast and GWS and I think there will be more of a focus on forcing Tasmania to bring in more experienced players rather than having a team filled with nothing but kids.
The Package will be similar, but its up to Tasmania how they want to build their list. Forcing them to pick one strategy hurts them in negotiations.

Possibly, but I think the AFL would be very keen to convince Tasmania not to go too hard on recruiting youth. It really did not work for either GWS or Gold Coast.
Giants finished top 4 in 4 years, a GF in 7 and have made finals in 7 of the past 9 years. And they stll have 6 inaugural Giants on their list. I think GWS would be happy with that, and the AFL would be content with how much of a leg up they gave them.

I wouldn't expect Tas to get major assistance in the GC/GWS style. The AFL doesn't have the same need to for early success.
Tas will probably peak in support in the first couple of years anyway, before the novelty factor drops off. There's no risk of no support years one and two regardless, and the clubs won't wear anything too large.
Some short term limit on other clubs taking Tasmanian players, and maybe father-son on those whose father played enough TFL/VFL/TSL games phasing out over time.
Presumably early first and second round picks for year one or to claim the year before. Maybe some trade incentives, so clubs losing established players get a draft bonus or something (similar to restricted free agency rules).

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion Are FS and Academy Juniors exempt from bring taken by Tasmania?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back