Are St Kilda the most un-professional sporting team in the world?

Are St Kilda the most unprofessional Sporting club in the world?

• Yes... they are tragic

Votes: 37 97.4%
  • Yes... but they should hang around for the laugh factor

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr_Ed

Debutant
Suspended
Oct 31, 2002
I was moved to ask this question after watching Fox Footy last night. As someone who grew up watching "The Winners" during the 1980's and seeing St Kilda getting belted game after game by more than 10 goals and being permanently stuck to the bottom of the ladder... I may have a biased view on the St Kilda football club.... but my point is that last night they were showing a replay of a 1987 game between St Kilda & Fitzroy.. Fitzroy had a damn good side back then but you watched St Kilda and saw all of these young kids in their first few years... Lockett, Loewe, Burke, Winmar etc... you wonder how the hell they could not win a premiership with that team.

The only thing I could think of is the shocking loser culture that has infested St Kilda since the day they joined the competition. They've only won 1 flag ever and that was in 1966 and even that was a wobbly kick that went through for a point..... they sack coaches like they contractors and they have in my opinion one of the worst jumpers in the AFL. It looks like a tub of Neapolitin Icecream... which is probably apt because they tend to go soft when the heat is on them. I even remember a few years ago... a great English Soccer commentator who was in Australia was watching the football here and commented that its the curse of the "Saints" because the Southampton Saints in the English Premier League were renowned as one of the worst teams ever as well that couldn't win a chook raffle.

I had the displeasure of going to Moorabin one day and you can just smell the losing mentality in the air.... and St Kilda supporters are some of the most unbelievable people you could ever meet. You tend to feel sorry for them because they support a club with some a tragic history.... until they open their mouths and you no longer feel sorry. They really do have no idea.... They think Grant "Cornflakes" Thomas is the greatest thing to happen to them since sliced bread. Lets look at this logically... Here is a man who was given the job for political reasons..... with no AFL coaching experience... look at the talent he has at his disposal... yet they put in a shocking year like they did last year.... yet all St Kilda supporters think he is great! When will they open their eyes.... St Kilda is NEVER going to be successful while they have Cornflakes the serial coach killer... as coach of their team. The sad thing for them is that Grant Cornflakes Thomas is there to stay... because he and his mate have basically taken the club over.... much the way Elliott did to Carlton. Difference is Elliott didn't give himself a job and make himself coach.

So my question is are St Kilda the most tragic unprofessional sporting club in the world?

Originally posted by Mr_Ed
I was moved to ask this question after watching Fox Footy last night. As someone who grew up watching "The Winners" during the 1980's and seeing St Kilda getting belted game after game by more than 10 goals and being permanently stuck to the bottom of the ladder... I may have a biased view on the St Kilda football club.... but my point is that last night they were showing a replay of a 1987 game between St Kilda & Fitzroy.. Fitzroy had a damn good side back then but you watched St Kilda and saw all of these young kids in their first few years... Lockett, Loewe, Burke, Winmar etc... you wonder how the hell they could not win a premiership with that team.

The only thing I could think of is the shocking loser culture that has infested St Kilda since the day they joined the competition. They've only won 1 flag ever and that was in 1966 and even that was a wobbly kick that went through for a point..... they sack coaches like they contractors and they have in my opinion one of the worst jumpers in the AFL. It looks like a tub of Neapolitin Icecream... which is probably apt because they tend to go soft when the heat is on them. I even remember a few years ago... a great English Soccer commentator who was in Australia was watching the football here and commented that its the curse of the "Saints" because the Southampton Saints in the English Premier League were renowned as one of the worst teams ever as well that couldn't win a chook raffle.

I had the displeasure of going to Moorabin one day and you can just smell the losing mentality in the air.... and St Kilda supporters are some of the most unbelievable people you could ever meet. You tend to feel sorry for them because they support a club with some a tragic history.... until they open their mouths and you no longer feel sorry. They really do have no idea.... They think Grant "Cornflakes" Thomas is the greatest thing to happen to them since sliced bread. Lets look at this logically... Here is a man who was given the job for political reasons..... with no AFL coaching experience... look at the talent he has at his disposal... yet they put in a shocking year like they did last year.... yet all St Kilda supporters think he is great! When will they open their eyes.... St Kilda is NEVER going to be successful while they have Cornflakes the serial coach killer... as coach of their team. The sad thing for them is that Grant Cornflakes Thomas is there to stay... because he and his mate have basically taken the club over.... much the way Elliott did to Carlton. Difference is Elliott didn't give himself a job and make himself coach.

So my question is are St Kilda the most tragic unprofessional sporting club in the world?

I have to say I'm rapidly becoming ashamed to support the same sporting club as you.

Thomas is a smooth talking joke.

But the Saints jumper is a beauty, you're way off the mark there. And Southampton have stuck in the top division for 25 years on a shoestring budget and a tiny stadium. Hardly failures in the cut throat world of English football.

Someone please delete this thread.. he obviously wants to be beaten to pulp by ALOT of St Kilda supporters, the general public and his own team's supporters..

St. Kilda has never recovered from losing its first 60 VFL games through seasons 1897-99 :D .

Seriously, from what ive read, St Kilda has a history of putting individual players ahead of the team, which is something that wouldnt be tolerated at other clubs.

'Outsiders' that have come to the club and delivered the cold, hard truth about the Saints culture have been promptly booted out for fear that their opinions may upset key players.

This whole Buttress/Thomas relationship remains a mystery to me. Im not convinced by either of them yet, nor am I convinced that Buttress hasn't got a massive ego to stroke and thats why he became President.

Time will tell. If they dont go anywhere with this group of youngsters then they trully are a tragic club.

(and this is coming from a Geelong supporter :eek: )

Re: Re: Are St Kilda the most un-professional sporting team in the world?

Originally posted by Mead

I have to say I'm rapidly becoming ashamed to support the same sporting club as you.

I've already long since reached ashamed.

You tend to feel sorry for them .... until they open their mouths and you no longer feel sorry.

Mr_Ed, in your case I don't think anyone even had a chance to feel sorry for you.

Originally posted by pivotal
St. Kilda has never recovered from losing its first 60 VFL games through seasons 1897-99 :D .

LOL, I think it was 48. St.Kilda then drew with Melbourne. After the match they lodged a protest about a score after the siren and had the win given to us retrospectively. Now there's a way to record your first win!!!!!!! (btw, can someone confirm this story? Read it on a website a while back).

I wouldn't say that the saints were unprofessional.

They are one of the teams who know what reality is. It is just a pity that the coach isn't a really nice person to talk to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok well what about the Spider Everitt remarks about the coach and St Kilda having a lack of communication with him and thats why he had to leave. That just proves St Kilda are losers. You give away one of your best players and a potential matchwinner for next to nothing. I seem to remember St Kilda struggling like an U16 team until Spider came back from injury and singlehandidly won the game against the Eagles. They really do have no idea there.

Originally posted by Vaul Darkhour
Someone please delete this thread.. he obviously wants to be beaten to pulp by ALOT of St Kilda supporters, the general public and his own team's supporters..

Not a chance of the thread being deleted. Mr Ed is proving for all to see that he talks from the wrong end.

Ok well what about the Spider Everitt remarks about the coach and St Kilda having a lack of communication with him and thats why he had to leave. That just proves St Kilda are losers. You give away one of your best players and a potential matchwinner for next to nothing. I seem to remember St Kilda struggling like an U16 team until Spider came back from injury and singlehandidly won the game against the Eagles. They really do have no idea there.

There wasn't a lack of communication with Everitt, it was the message he didn't like. Give 100%.

Originally posted by Vaul Darkhour
Your digging yourself a deeper grave...

Thats your response to the Spider Everitt debacle? Typical non-intelligent response that I would expect from a person who has experienced no joy in their football supporting lifetime.

ps: Surely thats not your picture that you put in your avatar is it? because if it is that is one of the saddest things I have ever seen... Mr Hardcore.

LOL, you must be desperate if you turn to the words of Spider :p

Originally posted by carlyp
Ahhh nice to see I grace your avatar suzi!

You mean, you are a ****-burglar who pops up in people's toilets? :p hahahahahahah!

Never would have thought anyone would have owned up to that 'honour'.

You give away one of your best players and a potential matchwinner for next to nothing. They really do have no idea there.

No Mr Ed, it is you who has no idea...getting rid of spider was the best thing the club has done in a long while. The West Coast game was the only one he played very well in and considering that was his first back from injury, you'd expect him to have only got better, not worse!

secondly, we got pick 8 & 24 for him, conversely, melbourne only got pick 16 for a brownlow medalist, and hawthorn got pick 10 for chick. compared to those two trades, i think we did remarkably well for a 29 y.o. head case who's departure clears $700K from our salary cap and rids us of spiderchick in the same transaction.

you are really headed for the glue farm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are St Kilda the most un-professional sporting team in the world?

Back