Are there any other Liam Anthony type guns in the state leagues?

Remove this Banner Ad

__aria__

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jan 18, 2008
Lost
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Daniel Harris
Hi guys. This thread is for the people who follow the WAFL, SANFL and VFL.

I am impressed with the way that Liam Anthony has just come straight into the AFL and reproduced his great WAFL form. It is unbelievable that we were able to pick up a player of this quality with a 3rd round draft pick just because he was 21 and not 18.

With the 2009 draft looking very thin, do you know of any other 20-21 year old guys out there who are ready to come in and dominate?

Forget Liam Anthony, Greg Broughton was Pick #74 in the Rookie Draft. And has dominated since coming into the team. It is amazing how these guys get overlooked simply because they are a few years older than the majority of draft prospects.

With the GC coming in, we should be seeing plenty more mature aged draftees coming in and performing.

I am impressed with the way that Liam Anthony has just come straight into the AFL and reproduced his great WAFL form. It is unbelievable that we were able to pick up a player of this quality with a 3rd round draft pick just because he was 21 and not 18.

With the 2009 draft looking very thin, do you know of any other 20-21 year old guys out there who are ready to come in and dominate?

Quite honestly there would be a few out there I reckon. Your point about them being over looked because they happen to be say 21, and might not be 18 and in the 'elite' TAC cup is very valid IMO, I cannot work out recruiters or the system sometimes.

Furthermore, some players that are given spots on not only AFL lists, but TAC cup lists over your more 'pure footy players' is baffling at times. If you're not an out and out gun, a favourite of the coaches or an outstanding athlete switching from a Basketball, Athletics etc. background then you don't seem to get a look in at TAC level.

There is more to footy then running the hundred in 11 secs, being able to jump over a car or being considered a potential talent in the TAC cup, and I think players like Broughton, Nahas, Anthony and Picken to name a few are showing the recruiters this (finally).

porplyzia got drafted.. then delisted.. then re-drafted a couple of years later as a mature age recruit.. does that count..

how old is too old to be considered a mature age recruit exactly.. is 25 too old that no one will draft that person?

IMO, Kris Pendlebury could play AFL footy. He's got a big strong body, decent athleticism, and amazing footskills, plus he can play both ends of the ground and in the midfield.

I've seen a fair bit of him playing in the VFL for Collingwood this year, and I think he could be a solid addition for a team looking to add a skillful utility.

Chris Cain from Port Melbourne (VFL) is about the same age as Nahas, who is proving to be a beauty this year. Cain is a short-ish goal kicking midfielder who has kicked a few bags this season so might not be a bad option. and Stewart Crameri is one of few shining lights at Bendigo (albeit in the reserves at the moment) and trained with Essendon last summer, and he probably didn't get a spot due to the availability of Klemke with our last rookie pick

Anyone got any info on how Peter Rolfe from South Adelaide has been playing this year? Thought he was very stiff to miss out last year, impressed me the few times i saw him. Seems to be putting in a few good performance looking at the results, would have thought this seemingly being very open late in the draft he could step up and get on a list. Neat left boot with plenty of pace and seemed to be a very clean player above his head and below his knees.

myles sewell plays for nth Ballarat, younger brother of brad sewelll. Was the captain of Nth Ballarat roosters in the under 18's. Was in the same year draft as Frawley, the Brown Brothers and Grigg. Is an excellent user of the ball and is hard as nails. His only downfall is that he is relatively short. Could make it at AFL level though.

How old is Robinson I think it is from the Swans? Chopping up the WAFL at this stage by all reports

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A player from the Frankston Dolphins who in my eyes will get picked up is Michael Hibbard, was forced to play on some of the bigger bodied players in the TAC cup last year, and was relatively undermanned most of the time, however, being released onto a wing, and sometimes off half back has seen him named in the best something like 7 of 12 games or something like that for the Dolphins, have watched him a few times this year, and he would be very unlucky to be overlooked after such a great year for the undermanned dolphins, composed under foot, very good over head, and a good user off both feet, works both ways very hard, he has all the attributes to go further in the game than just VFL level.

All of the players that have been mentioned above all have 2 things in common, average size and average pace.
Nahas was tiny but was super quick and Anthony's big strength was he had a bit of size plus he was capable of playing anywhere.

i was going to say robinson. but he looks small and slightly overweight (although he's not).. he seems to be dominating..

All of the players that have been mentioned above all have 2 things in common, average size and average pace.
Nahas was tiny but was super quick and Anthony's big strength was he had a bit of size plus he was capable of playing anywhere.

And people said that Nahas was too small and couldn't tackle bigger bodies at the AFL level.

But yet he is Richmond's leading tackler inside forward 50.

I wouldn't say Anthony's big strength is that "he had a bit of size". He is a good size and takes a good mark but i'm more impressed with his elite kicking skills on both sides, fantastic decision making and vision, first class workrate, covers the ground well with great pace for his size etc.

Anyone else seen Barlow for Werribee in the VFL? He'd only be about 21 and dominates every week.

I wouldn't say Anthony's big strength is that "he had a bit of size". He is a good size and takes a good mark but i'm more impressed with his elite kicking skills on both sides, fantastic decision making and vision, first class workrate, covers the ground well with great pace for his size etc.

Anyone else seen Barlow for Werribee in the VFL? He'd only be about 21 and dominates every week.
He would have been looked at very closely last year, aria. Again it's his lack of pace that would be putting clubs off. This may have been the initial view of Anthony as well as he's been around for a couple of years in the WAFL.Sometimes you just have to draft blokes with ability, get them into serious training around quality players and see what happens.

I was desperate for Freo to pick up Ian Richardson from Claremont last year and still am. He is a HFF type with great goal sense and smarts, he is lightly built but can play. I think he is about 21 or 22 and am convinced he could be a very good AFL player. He had an injury interrupted start to this season but has hit form lately. He was picked in WA state to team this year for game against SA off a limited preparation and didnt have a great game but has played consistently well since.
Others out of WAFL that may be worth a look at include:
Lewis Jetta Swan Distrists HF/Mid
Lewis Fasolo East Fremantle Mid
Blake Broadhurst Subiaco Fwd
Jarred Kayler Thomson Perth Mid
Ross Young Perth Mid (has been on Carltons list but is Sandover favourite and I think is only 24yo still)
Brett Wolfenden Swan Districts Mid
James Thomson Claremont Full Back (was on WCE list at a very young age but is playing very well this year and would only be 20 or 21)
Most of these guys would be better layers than say at least 8 or 9 players on both Fremantle and Westy Coasts list in my opinion

Matthew Wright 20 yrs old from North Adelaide in the SANFL surely has to be picked up in the rookie draft if not drafted straight onto a senior list, medium sized midfielder who already has the body sizes and is in the top 3 favourites to win the magarey medal. Was overlooked a couple yrs ago after a bad accident. is an absolute gun footballer and deserves to be put onto an AFL list.

Kris Pendlebury, definitely. Ready made, and could slot in easily.

Orren Stephenson from Nth Ballarat. Don't know of his age, but he's a handy player, IMO, in the ruck. Cain from Port always does ok at worst (they've got a lot of trundler types, such as Deluca, Matt Smith, Fanning, McLaren, etc, who are all a shade below AFL level).

They're talking up Barlow from Werribee as a possible chance. I rated Rockefeller last year, not sure of how he's going this year, ditto Robbie Castello (or Costello, I'm not sure, think it's Castello).

Matt Little's been ok as an FF at Williamstown. Cousin of J.Hird, one game for the Hawks in 06/07.

Would Podsi be written off completely? Surely a club like, perhaps, Carlton, or Adelaide (especially if Tippett goes to the GC17), would look at him to help boost their stocks in the short term? Would be a great story.

North have done this before. We took David King from Port in the old VFA and he basically became a top level AFL player - not elite, just a rung below, but very, very good - straight away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are there any other Liam Anthony type guns in the state leagues?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back