Are we a fair chance to win this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

BedlamHawk

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2006
Kew
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I do not want to sound like a tommy_on_ice here guys but how many people reckon we actually have a chance of winning this week. Port are our biggest bogey side by a mile at the moment and the last 4 times we have played them at AAMI have resulted in losses of 96, 117, 81 and 57.
I actually had a nightmare during the week that we went over and kicked the first few goals of the game and then got done by 135 points.
I have seen some of our supporters going over to the port board and the afl board and getting cocky. This could really come back to bite us on the ass if we reckon we can just waltz over there and come away with a win.
We can't expect to go over and do a Geelong and dominate them because this is just not going to happen. We might have to push numbers back aka flood them like we did against St Kilda (Clarkson said it was a tactical game where he used strategies to strangle the big saint forwards). If they are 20+ points up at half time I reckon they will run all over us again.
We need to find a way to compete. This is the big test, if we can perform well in this game I think we realistically have a chance of finishing top 6.
My tip is that we will go down by about 20 something points but I am hoping we can pull something out of the hat and come away with a win. Thoughts?
-Also I can't see Tommy appearing any time soon, he really got humiliated after the weekends game :)

Rd 8 and i was a little worried. But it's funny how only one week can change things. Hawks beat the premiers the round before they face a beaten Port Adelaide, now i'm much more confident, infact i think we'll smash em'. We're all just so skeptical because of the past but the team is waking us up to reality, we're a top 4 side and we're out to prove it!

We have 8 different players compared to last time we played them so thats a positive for a start, we will not get smashed im confident we are more honest than that, if we run all day we will win Franklin is due as is Crawf. I reckon its payback time

We have 8 different players compared to last time we played them so thats a positive for a start, we will not get smashed im confident we are more honest than that, if we run all day we will win Franklin is due as is Crawf. I reckon its payback time

Totally agree. We are a different side with a different attitude this year. We can and should win.
Port aren't that good, they're the top eight pretenders, not us. Hawks by 20+.

Totally agree. We are a different side with a different attitude this year. We can and should win.
Port aren't that good, they're the top eight pretenders, not us. Hawks by 20+.

I reckon we can win, especially if we turn up to play like we did against the eagles.

Croad on Treadra
Giham on ccorne
Sewell on KCornes

We are definitely a fair chance to win this week.

On current form we are a fair chance to beat any team.

I'm not sure where Port are at - this week will tell us.

I do not want to sound like a tommy_on_ice here guys but how many people reckon we actually have a chance of winning this week. Port are our biggest bogey side by a mile at the moment and the last 4 times we have played them at AAMI have resulted in losses of 96, 117, 81 and 57.
I actually had a nightmare during the week that we went over and kicked the first few goals of the game and then got done by 135 points.
I have seen some of our supporters going over to the port board and the afl board and getting cocky. This could really come back to bite us on the ass if we reckon we can just waltz over there and come away with a win.
We can't expect to go over and do a Geelong and dominate them because this is just not going to happen. We might have to push numbers back aka flood them like we did against St Kilda (Clarkson said it was a tactical game where he used strategies to strangle the big saint forwards). If they are 20+ points up at half time I reckon they will run all over us again.
We need to find a way to compete. This is the big test, if we can perform well in this game I think we realistically have a chance of finishing top 6.
My tip is that we will go down by about 20 something points but I am hoping we can pull something out of the hat and come away with a win. Thoughts?
-Also I can't see Tommy appearing any time soon, he really got humiliated after the weekends game :)

i share your view. i am realy concerned that its our danger game. this could make us out be pretenders . beating eagles at our second home is half the challenge of beating port at ammi.. gelong are a far supriour team than us, coz they are more experianced, we have the youngest team out there. i do think that we have imporoved and with the likes of mglyn, ghilim, boyle, croad, brown, lewis, frankiln, we should win, but if it was here i,d more confidant.....
cany some body please ease my mind, and tell me how we are going to beat a side that has smashed us every year since 2002....

i share your view. i am realy concerned that its our danger game. this could make us out be pretenders . beating eagles at our second home is half the challenge of beating port at ammi.. gelong are a far supriour team than us, coz they are more experianced, we have the youngest team out there. i do think that we have imporoved and with the likes of mglyn, ghilim, boyle, croad, brown, lewis, frankiln, we should win, but if it was here i,d more confidant.....
cany some body please ease my mind, and tell me how we are going to beat a side that has smashed us every year since 2002....

Have you forgotten already that we actually beat Geelong?

If you guys haven't already noticed we are a different side this year than we have been for the last 5.

Port's preformance last week could be likened to that of a VFL side.

They were appauling and at home with no big outs.

My question to you is, in terms of match ups where do you think port wil have the upper hand?

I am sick and tired of negitivity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Williams saw the writing on the board before last weeks game and said they were not as good as everyone thought. Have to say that we should go into the game confident we can win. Having said that our forward line still has holes in it as far as I'm concerned.

Have you forgotten already that we actually beat Geelong?

If you guys haven't already noticed we are a different side this year than we have been for the last 5.

Port's preformance last week could be likened to that of a VFL side.

They were appauling and at home with no big outs.

My question to you is, in terms of match ups where do you think port wil have the upper hand?

I am sick and tired of negitivity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the hawks are a stronger, faster, more determind team than last year, yes i know, but like most bogy sides they just seem to find that extra on the day. i do think that we have a more than better chance of winning on sunday. their upper hand will be the home ground advantage. so port will not beat us phiscally, but mentally.. we have what i believe is the complete package, but we have to be mentally prepared to go further than we have gone in years.........so i am not negative but just not getting too carryd away........

for some reason i truly believe we will win, they have no backline to stop our forwads, and tredrea is finished, if we can shut down the burgione bro's we have enough run to destroy them, this is a new era, this is the year of the hawk,we will not go down in blaze of glory, we will only go down in a fist of fury,we must welcome the new breed of hawk ,THIS IS OUR TIME,THIS IS HAWK TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

for some reason i truly believe we will win, they have no backline to stop our forwads, and tredrea is finished, if we can shut down the burgione bro's we have enough run to destroy them, this is a new era, this is the year of the hawk,we will not go down in blaze of glory, we will only go down in a fist of fury,we must welcome the new breed of hawk ,THIS IS OUR TIME,THIS IS HAWK TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm the first to admit I get excited about the footy. But would you like a tissue to clean yourself up?

Weather could be a disadvantage for us, looks to be showers daily up til next week. We need to be able to run and hit our tall forwards. Will be interesting.

If we do lose, i think it'll be because of travel/inexperience, it took the great Brisbane team many years to be able to win at the MCG, and given we are in our 1st year of what you would call success, an interstate win would be a huge thing to notch up following on from beating WC.

Port have beaten:
Freo, Kang, Coll, St Kilda, Melbourne, Richmond. Melbourne and Richmond havent even won a game yet, St Kilda are far far from there best, freo are just plain duds in my opinion and kangaroos were terrible in the first three rounds this year. Collingwood is there only win of any note and they stole it in the dieing minutes. I think that their win-loss record flatters them and if the game was at the MCG i would back us to win.

But they are the biggest bogey side we have! However as pointed out we have a lot of new and improved faces in the team now. I really don't know how this game will go. If we play our best i think we will win. If we play like we played against Saints and Brisbane we will lose.

Hopefully we go out and play attacking football, i just dont want another 10+ goal thumping at the hand of port.

We've some serious bogey sides recently: the Bummers, West Coke, up until last year the Pussies. We've seriously turned the tables on the lot of them, so I don't see why we can't do it against the Port pretenders....

I'm certainly nervous about this game and have been for some time. That being said, I was equally as nervous against the Saints and WCE, two other sides that have consistently beaten us over recent seasons. I don't think we can discount the confidence we will have gained from overcoming the last two rounds. In the past I think we have almost been defeated before we landed at the Adelaide airport. This won't be the case this time. Our confidence to tackle bigger challenges is now enhanced and our players will not be daunted by the task. Obviously none of this guarantees a win, but at the very least it gives ME the confidence that the team will give a good account of itself. I don't expect a blow out as seen in past encounters. It should be a great game played by two teams on the up and whilst I will be disappointed if we don't win, I won't be shattered so long as the team is in it up to its eyeballs.

If we lose it will be a mental loss.
At this stage I think we are a better team, and I think we are a different team mentally.
Bit worried that Tredrea hasnt hit his straps yet as he is bound to sooner or later. But I'll be tipping us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we a fair chance to win this week?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back