Do we have any 2024 NGA's melt thread extravaganza

Remove this Banner Ad

Any idea why Alix Tauru isn’t eligible ?
His mum is from Warragul but dad is from Sweden
Under the current NGA rules, the player has to either be born in a non-English speaking country, or have at least one parent born in Asia, Africa or Oceania or have both parents born in another non-English speaking country outside of those regions.

Also, a bit left field. Is there a chance we anticipate Moares to be added to our academy, meaning we can be a bit more liberal with our first round pick (Barrass)?

Just a thought.
As Platten44 mentioned they have already got their answer on this. Something about him being denied NGA despite his father being born in Brazil

With AFL changes NGA rules on a whim I'd like to see us contest this, especially if ESS are getting Kako. In what world is Brazil an English speaking country?

Would like us to dispute this.
1. Parents have to be from two non-english speaking countries.
2. South America (bizarrely) is not one of the continents for just one of the parents to be from.

1. Parents have to be from two non-english speaking countries.
2. South America (bizarrely) is not one of the continents for just one of the parents to be from.
That just seems ridiculous to me.

Moraes shapes as a potential top-10 pick in this year's draft after impressing last year for the Eastern Ranges, where he played 16 games and was prolific through the midfield where he averaged 26 disposals.

The 17-year-old's father was born in Brazil, however it is a country that doesn't leave the midfielder able to qualify for NGA access.

Under the current NGA rules, the player has to either
  • be born in a non-English speaking country; or
  • have at least one parent born in Asia, Africa or Oceania; or
  • have both parents born in another non-English speaking country outside of those regions.

So I am assuming his mother is born in Australia.

We would need to appeal on the grounds that South America is added under point (2). Crazy how South America is distinguished separately from Asia/Africa/Oceania.

I have no doubt that South America will be added in the future to the benefit of an AFL darling.

• have both parents born in another non-English speaking country outside of those regions
How on earth did Mackenzie qualify? For doing a gap year in France?

French Yes GIF by Groundhog Day

Moraes shapes as a potential top-10 pick in this year's draft after impressing last year for the Eastern Ranges, where he played 16 games and was prolific through the midfield where he averaged 26 disposals.

The 17-year-old's father was born in Brazil, however it is a country that doesn't leave the midfielder able to qualify for NGA access.

• have both parents born in another non-English speaking country outside of those regions.

We would need to appeal on the grounds that South America is added under point (2). Crazy how South America is distinguished separately from Asia/Africa/Oceania.

I have no doubt that South America will be added in the future to the benefit of an AFL darling.
So many holes in the eligibility crtieria.

What even constitutes a “non-English speaking country”? Does this mean they have an official language other than English or that English mustn't be a recognized official language of the country?

Why one parent from those specific regions but not South America or Europe?

Why suddenly have South America or Europe be eligible if both parents are from there?

Very strange and convoluted.

So many holes in the eligibility crtieria.

What even constitutes a “non-English speaking country”? Does this mean they have an official language other than English or that English mustn't be a recognized official language of the country?

Why one parent from those specific regions but not South America or Europe?

Why suddenly have South America or Europe be eligible if both parents are from there?

Very strange and convoluted.
Baffling isn't it.

New Zealand - ok
Suriname - not ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His father was born in South Africa.

EDIT: that's what his Wikipedia entry says. His mother though was born in Canada. Both South Africa and Canada are culturally and linguistically diverse countries. So it's possible that it's to do with both parents?

Last edited:
A notable non English speaking country that one.....
I don't think it's all about being from a non-English speaking country. South Africa is most definitely culturally and linguistically diverse - see excerpt below taken from https://www.hawthornfc.com.au/club/community/next-generation-academy

Part two of the academy is for athletes aged 16 and above.

To be eligible to be involved in this part of the academy a player must meet the following requirements.

• Involved in part one of the Hawthorn Next Generation Academy and
  • Be Indigenous or Torres Strait islander or
  • Be from Asian descent or
  • Be from African descent or
  • Both parents born in a culturally and linguistically diverse country (CALD)

The screenshot which is an extract from the below link mentions that Brazil part of a group of countries with an expanding circle of countries with English being spoken

Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 7.24.46 pm.png

Under the current NGA rules, the player has to either be born in a non-English speaking country, or have at least one parent born in Asia, Africa or Oceania or have both parents born in another non-English speaking country outside of those regions.
Wouldn't most players have both parents born in Oceania? Or do I not know what Oceania is?
1724298130260.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have any 2024 NGA's melt thread extravaganza

Remove this Banner Ad

Back