Do we have any 2024 NGA's melt thread extravaganza

Remove this Banner Ad

For those wondering how the NGA works there is a Part 1 and a Part 2. For the HFC to end up having priority access to draft an NGA prospect the player must transition from Part 1 to Part 2 and then meet the criteria that is marked in green italics below.

This likely explains why we don't have priority access to Christian Moraes who I assume was in Part 1 of our NGA program (played for the Eastern Ranges) but not Part 2 as I don't think both his parents qualify as being born in a culturally and linguistically diverse country (CALD).

The Hawthorn Next Generation Academy is a joint initiative between the AFL and the Hawthorn Football Club aimed at increasing opportunities for young athletes to learn about and play the game of Australian Rules Football. The programs place an emphasis on encouraging indigenous and multicultural athletes to be a part of the program.

AFL clubs have been allocated areas throughout Australia to implement their Next Generation Academy programs. The Hawthorn Football Club is very excited to be working in the Gippsland Power Talent Zone(VIC), Eastern Ranges Talent zone (VIC) and the Katherine region. (NT)

The Hawthorn Next Generation Academy is divided into two parts.

Part one is for athletes aged between 11-15 years of age.

In the allocated areas, the Hawthorn Next Generation Academy conducts elite training programs for U/12’s, U/13’s, U/14’s and U/15’s. These programs aim to educate athletes on football fundamental skills, football games sense, athletic development and living a healthy lifestyle.

Athletes are invited to attend these programs based on their performance in local league competitions, representative football or their efforts at Hawthorn Next Generation Academy come and try days.

Part two of the academy is for athletes aged 16 and above.

To be eligible to be involved in this part of the academy a player must meet the following requirements.
  • Involved in part one of the Hawthorn Next Generation Academy and
  • Be Indigenous or Torres Strait islander or
  • Be from Asian descent or
  • Be from African descent or
  • Both parents born in a culturally and linguistically diverse country (CALD)
Athletes are invited to be involved in this academy by the Hawthorn Football Club. Here they work individually with the Hawthorn Next Generation Academy coach to further advance their football.

The Hawthorn Football Club receive draft priority and draft concessions on all players involved in part two of the academy, should Hawthorn wish to draft them.

So Hawks miss out on Moraes becuase his father was born in Brazil? Criteria being the player either has to be born in a non english speaking country or have at least one parent born in Asia, Africa or Oceania, or finally have both parents born in a non english speaking country.

Considering the rule changes the AFL has just made regarding clubs being able to match bids on eligible NGA players anywhere in the draft order, this really is a hard pill to swallow. Especially when it means under these rules we would've been able to match a TJ bid at 38 last year, can't help but feel the Hawks get shafted on this front.

Hopefully we contest this if the new rules come in.

So Hawks miss out on Moraes becuase his father was born in Brazil? Criteria being the player either has to be born in a non english speaking country or have at least one parent born in Asia, Africa or Oceania, or finally have both parents born in a non english speaking country.

Considering the rule changes the AFL has just made regarding clubs being able to match bids on eligible NGA players anywhere in the draft order, this really is a hard pill to swallow. Especially when it means under these rules we would've been able to match a TJ bid at 38 last year, can't help but feel the Hawks get shafted on this front.
We got Shafted on TJ but McKenzie would be at stkilda under those rules so it's a win for us.

I've seen all three of Moraes, Tauru and Anderson, mentioned in different places as being part of Hawthorn's academy. They must just train with us, but don't meet the necessary qulaifications to be available to us for drafting?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah yes, AFL heartland that is Brazil.

My belief is we didn't push too hard with getting Morales into our academy as we'd have no access regardless.

How can Cam Mackenzie be an NGA player and Moraes not? Ludicrous
The AFL decision making process…
Spin The Wheel GIF by Big Potato Games

I know Tauru is not currently in our academy, but does that mean he can’t be added? Is it too late? I recall someone getting aged late last year, but could be wrong.

I’m still hoping we really argue that Christian Moraes should be part of our NGA and haven’t just accepted that he can’t be added.

Would be great if we used our first on Smith then matched a bid on Moraes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have any 2024 NGA's melt thread extravaganza

Remove this Banner Ad

Back