Are we cursed?

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a great question and subsequent discussion. It is really hard to put your finger on the Pies ordinary strike rate in GF's but here goes:

(i) Other than 1970 (too young to appreciate), and possibly 1977 and 2010, we were never the best side in the comp in all those losing GF's ie 1979, 1980, 1981, 2002, 2003, 2018. So that is easily explainable. As an aside, I thought the best/most powerful Pies side I ever witnessed was 2011 but ultimately injuries and the timing of the succession plan destroyed our chances that year.

(ii) I agree with a number of others who referenced culture as a possible cause. I have been baked before for raising this issue but I firmly believe that the "we are the biggest/best/most hated/us against them/side by side" mantra doesn't seem to help our cause. You may ask how? Great question. It's just a gut feel. Possibly some of the players subconsciously feel that they have made it having been initially recruited and playing for the largest club in the land. And I feel that the likes of McGuire (a supporter first and foremost) and the adulation of the fan base potentially perpetuate this mindset. Just a thought and not to be viewed as a criticism.

(iii) As an extension of point (ii) above, I suspect that it is no coincidence that our last 2 premierships were underpinned by non Collingwood men at the helm - Matthews and Malthouse. Might be something in that. Were these men able to cut through/deflect/put aside the MANIC Collingwood culture in their quest for ultimate success?

(iv) And finally, particularly given point (iii) above, I found it rather strange that the club reverted back to type in recruiting a much loved/respected former champion player as senior coach. And whilst Buckley has moulded himself into a very good senior coach/man manager, still no success and of course another gut wrenching GF loss to add to the club's collection. The Hird and Voss appointments proved that this model is old school and I would argue that even a club like Hawthorn would be making a mistake bringing back a past champion player (Mitchell) to one day be senior coach. Further, I reckon if Buckley ever coached another club one day, he just might snag a flag.

So that's my 2 bobs worth. We all have our own theories on this curious situation. No doubt there is just something(s) not quite right. And one suspects that this will continue unless there is a material change in the way this club operates. Whatever that change looks like.

Last years nail biting grand final, this years prelim or the close games we lost in during the season.
All comes down to we lack hard edge bulls who can will the team to victory,
pendles sidey and trelor look great on paper but in big games when the heats on are just not gonna cut it and go missing big time, time and time again
look at the guys who always perform well in these games Degoey , Adams , Maynard , Grundy , Crisp just to name a few
Unfortunately for us Buckley can be extremely stubborn and will persevere with the same midfield going into next year, i thought it was great they put wills in the midfield at the end of this year, but in the final against gws only played him 53% of game time which indicates he doesn't have much faith in him, even those his trusted on ball brigade in Trelor sidebottom and pendles were getting out muscled and out worked for most of the game.
They only way i can see us improving is if the likes pendles, trelor and sidey are pushed out of the midfield and placed in other areas of the ground, but we all know what Buckley can be like.....

No - in answer to the thread title.

Mostly we’re not good enough. Occasionally we choke. Or we’re mismanaged or poorly coached. Or injuries or suspensions hit us at exactly the wrong time.

Sometimes none of the above happen and we win a flag.

Suspensions of Cloke in ‘02 and Rocca in ‘03. Rocca’s ankle in ‘07 Prelim, Pods shoulder in ‘11, Sheed non free ‘18, 2 goals touched (3rd given) in ‘19 Prelim.

Try tell me we aren’t cursed.

Lol. We played a cumulative total of about five quarters of football this year.

What on earth would’ve indicated that any of what we produced was going to end with us covered in glory?

Our last premiership side had that as a speciality, playing 1.5 quarters a game and getting the win. Does it matter that they aren’t a 4 quarter side?

We should’ve beaten GWS, anyone that says otherwise has rocks in their heads.

Maynard block gets paid, maybe we win the GF...

Adams post goes through or Mayne’s makes the journey we play off against Richmond in a GF which I believe we could have won...

Seriously man...
Rocca’s goal is called and Tarrant gets that free, we win ‘02.

Pods doesn’t do his shoulder, Hawkins doesn’t stand up in ‘11.

Like I said, it’s as if we are cursed by the football Gods.

1979. Carlton still hadn't kicked a goal at the 20 minute mark of the second and then the avalanche. So they kicked 5 in the second and third. They were up by 21 points at 3/4 time. They were in front when Harmes punched the ball in from the 3rd row. Yeah we were coming back but what happened in the second and third to allow them 10 goals? That's not a curse, that's just shit footy.
1980. We came from 5th to get into the GF. That's not a curse, that's just not being good enough.
1981. So we got out to a 21 point lead in the 3rd and Carlton kicked the last couple to draw within 9 points. They kicked 4.7 to our 2 points in the last. That's not a curse, that's just shit footy.
2011. Shit half of footy. Players decided to zone off rather than do what worked when we were playing well.
2018. Played a good first 20 minutes and were outplayed for the majority of the rest of the game.
The recurring theme according to some of the past players (70's and 80's) is that although the Collingwood teams were hard working and never gave up, they lacked the class needed to turn a game on its head when it mattered most. The Carlton sides oozed talent and game winners. The Brisbane sides of 02 and 03 were the same.
Let's not excuse falling down on the last day in September by blaming something that the club has no control over. We're inadvertently letting off the club and the players for not being good enough to win it.

Cursed? Does that include an insipid performance for 3 quarters in a PF at home against an interstate fledgling team where you have had a week off?
Oh stop it. It includes a prelim where twice in the final five minutes a matter of centimetres separated us from entering a grand final regardless of the circumstances leading up to those fateful moments. Hawthorn won three preliminary finals by under 6 points before two of the three flags they won in 2013,14 and 15. No-one said they were unworthy for falling over the line against Port Adelaide, Adelaide (2012) and the Cats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh stop it. It includes a prelim where twice in the final five minutes a matter of centimetres separated us from entering a grand final regardless of the circumstances leading up to those fateful moments. Hawthorn won three preliminary finals by under 6 points before two of the three flags they won in 2013,14 and 15. No-one said they were unworthy for falling over the line against Port Adelaide, Adelaide (2012) and the Cats.

Stop what? Had we bothered to turn up then we'd be playing tomorrow. It's that simple. Take your head out of the sand son.

Suspensions of Cloke in ‘02 and Rocca in ‘03. Rocca’s ankle in ‘07 Prelim, Pods shoulder in ‘11, Sheed non free ‘18, 2 goals touched (3rd given) in ‘19 Prelim.

Try tell me we aren’t cursed.

Our last premiership side had that as a speciality, playing 1.5 quarters a game and getting the win. Does it matter that they aren’t a 4 quarter side?

We should’ve beaten GWS, anyone that says otherwise has rocks in their heads.
Bullshit it did.

Our 2010 side produced four quarters a game consistently. 2011 we ****ed around for three quarters of a game more often than not and got out just deserts

1979. Carlton still hadn't kicked a goal at the 20 minute mark of the second and then the avalanche. So they kicked 5 in the second and third. They were up by 21 points at 3/4 time. They were in front when Harmes punched the ball in from the 3rd row. Yeah we were coming back but what happened in the second and third to allow them 10 goals? That's not a curse, that's just s**t footy.
1980. We came from 5th to get into the GF. That's not a curse, that's just not being good enough.
1981. So we got out to a 21 point lead in the 3rd and Carlton kicked the last couple to draw within 9 points. They kicked 4.7 to our 2 points in the last. That's not a curse, that's just s**t footy.
2011. s**t half of footy. Players decided to zone off rather than do what worked when we were playing well.
2018. Played a good first 20 minutes and were outplayed for the majority of the rest of the game.
The recurring theme according to some of the past players (70's and 80's) is that although the Collingwood teams were hard working and never gave up, they lacked the class needed to turn a game on its head when it mattered most. The Carlton sides oozed talent and game winners. The Brisbane sides of 02 and 03 were the same.
Let's not excuse falling down on the last day in September by blaming something that the club has no control over. We're inadvertently letting off the club and the players for not being good enough to win it.

Sigh. I get so tired of this attempt to set the record straight on our grand final misery. You often hear the ridiculous line-good teams know how to win the close games (under a goal) and I always wonder how a supposedly "good" team allows themselves to be in a position where they are four points up with ten seconds remaining and the opposition having a shot on goal(which misses). Aaah, yes! The good teams know how to win the close ones. I suppose Breen's wayward snap out of a pack that bobbled through for a behind was clearly the result of the Saints being the better team. I suppose the same could be said for the snapped goal by a Melbourne back pocket who flagrantly ignored direct instructions from his coach Norm Smith and snapped the winning goal against us in 1964 with seconds remaining. Smith was so angry he never forgave Crompton even though he literally won the flag for the demons off his won boot! Clearly the worthy winners those demons! :rolleyes: 1970 saw us squander an 44 point lead at half time, but if we had stormed home like Carlton did, the mark not paid to McKenna in the last minute which led to the snapped goal by Jezza, would have been paid to a Carlton forward. Then instead of praising our sensational comeback the board would be asking how we could have let ourselves fall eight goals behind in the first place. :rolleyes:

Your summary of the 1979 granny is more of the same nonsense. I could easily ask what the hell the red hot favourites were doing being led four goals to nothing in heavy conditions in the first term. We both had patches of dominance. It all came down to the final minute. We win the centre clearance and we are a big chance. We didn't..but please don't dismiss the Harme's goal as irrelevant. We lost by five points. Another minute and we would have won. Carlton were hanging on and we were on a roll.

No-one I know has ever suggested we were anything but second best when we lost in 1980 and 2011. Can you point to someone who has?

In 1977 we drew with North. You would argue that we blew a five goal lead. I would ask why North found themselves five goals down at the final break. It came down to the final minute or two when both sides had chances to win it. We drew and lost the replay with our best player missing both games due to suspension. A man who had torn North apart twice in the home and away season. Sure-he belted Tuck for no reason and we lost him. Cursed?

Using your logic no Saint fan should ever bemoan the draw in 2010-a game we dominated by every statistical measure, yet sill didn't win.

In 2002, a team of goers took on the team many call the best of all time. We hit the front in the last quarter ( we hit the front earlier but a goal umpire seemed to forget that a ball passing between the big posts is signaled a goal) with ten minutes remaining. Bucks broke from the centre bounce straight after Fraser's goal and kicked long to Tarrant who was held around the waist by White and then hit high in the contest for the ball. Commentator Robert Walls saw what I saw at the ground and screamed for a free to Tarrant (fifteen metres out from goal). No free. Lions rush the pill down the ground and Lynch gets a free dead in front and the Lions win back the lead before sealing it with a minute or two to go. Ump pays the free which was clearly there and we go ahead by ten points in the drizzle and our adrenaline through the roof.

2003-not good enough but clearly wounded by the absence of our best forward and spiritual leader, Anthony Rocca-suspended after the prelim. (Curse?) He starred in our second semi final win over the same team.

2018. It has become very popular to say we had a good twenty minute burst but the Eagles dominated us for the rest of the game. Utter crap. The Eagles fought their way back into the game and evened things up by three quarter time. They had the best of us for ten minutes when they locked it deep in their forward line ( as we did against the Giants-but that didn't impress you). We kicked the first two goals of the last quarter. We still had a number of chances to win the game ourselves and still led with less than two minutes remaining. The actual shot on goal came after a very contentious non decision which could easily have gone our way with a different umpire and nobody other than Eagles fans and Collingwood haters would have quibbled. By the interpretation brought in last year it was as clear a free kick as one could see. Sheed kicks a goal he would miss nine times out of ten- cursed? Just a crappy team?

When Geelong failed in those Blight years they got flogged or comfortably beaten in all but one and they were never going to win the 1989 grand final despite what people might say. Sydney has played in a few tight GF's in recent years and split them 50/50 for two flags.

When a game is decided by less than a kick or ends in a draw the result unquestionably comes down to a bad bounce, a fumble or an umpiring decision. The cards have never fallen our way. Not once.

We have never won a close game. They have all been defeats and a couple of draws.

Don't tell me we haven't suffered from an inordinate amount of bad luck in grand finals and finals in general.

Last edited:
Stop what? Had we bothered to turn up then we'd be playing tomorrow. It's that simple. Take your head out of the sand son.
Nope. It was the fact that the ball skimmed a defender's elbow after he missed it with his fist (luck?) and another kick hit the post. The commentators were already hailing it as one of the greatest finals comebacks in history. Are you suggesting if that pill had missed the post and sailed through that you would have called us unworthy winners and undeserving of a place in the grand final? Regardless of how poor we may have been, the fact is we clawed our way back and cruel luck and some centimetres broke our hearts again.

We seem to make Grand Finals without dominating a season (not the TOP 2-3 teams), hence we tend to lose more than win.
We definitely seem to have an injury curse (past few years).
This year it all fell into place:
- Hawks beat Eagles to gift us TOP 4
- we get Geelong suffering from their Bye curse
- GWS lose their best players pre game
We simply weren’t good enough...didn’t kick enough goals.
We need a “big dog” KPF to get us through tight tough games (plus need to win more contested footy)
Agree with all of this.

Bulls**t it did.

Our 2010 side produced four quarters a game consistently. 2011 we f’ed around for three quarters of a game more often than not and got out just deserts
But but but statistically it was the best season the Pies have ever had.

Statistics vs reality.

Sigh. I get so tired of this attempt to set the record straight on our grand final misery. You often hear the ridiculous line-good teams know how to win the close games (under a goal) and I always wonder how a supposedly "good" team allows themselves to be in a position where they are four points up with ten seconds remaining and the opposition having a shot on goal(which misses). Aaah, yes! The good teams know how to win the close ones. I suppose Breen's wayward snap out of a pack that bobbled through for a behind was clearly the result of the Saints being the better team. I suppose the same could be said for the snapped goal by a Melbourne back pocket who flagrantly ignored direct instructions from his coach Norm Smith and snapped the winning goal against us in 1964 with seconds remaining. Smith was so angry he never forgave Crompton even though he literally won the flag for the demons off his won boot! Clearly the worthy winners those demons! :rolleyes: 1970 saw us squander an 44 point lead at half time but if we had stormed home like Carlton did the mark not paid to McKenna in the last minute which led to the snap by Jezza which bounced through to seal the game would have been paid to a Carlton forward and instead of praising our sensational comeback the board would be asking how we could have let ourselves fall eight goals behind in the first place.

Your summary of the 1979 granny is more of the same nonsense. I could easily ask what the hell the red hot favourites were doing being led four goals to nothing in heavy conditions in the first term. We both had patches of dominance. It all came down to the final minute. We win the centre clearance and we are a big chance. We didn't..but please don't dismiss the Harme's goal as irrelevant. We lost by five points. Another minute and we would have won. Carlton were hanging on and we were on a roll.

No-one I know has ever suggested we were anything but second best when we lost in 1980 and 2011. Can you point to someone who has?

In 1977 we drew with North. You would argue that we blew a five goal lead. I would ask why North found themselves five goals down at the final break. It came down to the final minute or two when both sides had chances to win it. We drew and lost the replay with our best player missing both games due to suspension. A man who had torn North apart twice in the home and away season. Sure-he belted Tuck for no reason and we lost him. Cursed?

Using your logic no Saint fan should ever bemoan the draw in 2010-a game we dominated by every statistical measure, yet sill didn't win.

In 2002, a team of goers took on the team many call the best of all time. We hit the front in the last quarter ( we hit the front earlier but a goal umpire seemed to forget that a ball passing between the big posts is signaled a goal) with ten minutes remaining. Bucks broke from the centre bounce straight after Fraser's goal and kicked long to Tarrant who was held around the waist by White and then hit high in the contest for the ball. Commentator Robert Walls saw what I saw at the ground and screamed for a free to Tarrant (fifteen metres out from goal). No free. Lions rush the pill down the ground and Lynch gets a free dead in front and the Lions win back the lead before sealing it with a minute or two to go. Ump pays the free which was clearly there and we go ahead by ten points in the drizzle and our adrenaline through the roof.

2003-not good enough but clearly wounded by the absence of our best forward and spiritual leader, Anthony Rocca-suspended after the prelim. (Curse?) He starred in our second semi final win over the same team.

2018. It has become very popular to say we had a good twenty minute burst but the Eagles dominated us for the rest of the game. Utter crap. The Eagles fought their way back into the game and evened things up by three quarter time. They had the best of us for ten minutes when they locked it deep in their forward line ( as we did against the Giants-but that didn't impress you). We kicked the first two goals of the last quarter. We still had a number of chances to win the game ourselves and still led with less than two minutes remaining. The actual shot on goal came after a very contentious non decision which could easily have gone our way with a different umpire and nobody other than Eagles fans and Collingwood haters would have quibbled. By the interpretation brought in last year it was as clear a free kick as one could see. Sheed kicks a goal he would miss nine times out of ten- cursed? Just a crappy team?

When Geelong failed in those Blight years they got flogged or comfortably beaten in all but one and they were never going to win the 1989 grand final despite what people might say. Sydney has played in a few tight GF's in recent years and split them 50/50 for two flags.

When a game is decided by less than a kick or ends in a draw the result unquestionably comes down to a bad bounce, a fumble or an umpiring decision. The cards have never fallen our way. Not once.

We have never won a close game. They have all been defeats and a couple of draws.

Don't tell me we haven't suffered from an inordinate amount of bad luck in grand finals and finals in general.

If bemoaning bad luck makes you feel better about the multitude of GF losses, all power to you. Yes, I'm matching your tone.
We'll be going around in circles and accusing one another of writing nonsense so Ill refrain from attempting to pick apart your post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are we cursed?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back