List Mgmt. Are we missing the boat by not trading??

Remove this Banner Ad

Tuck retired. That happens in football. Vlastuin is looking like his replacement in the guts.

White, McGuane and Nahas. All list cloggers in my opinion. White and McGuane have serviceable depth but time to give our kids who are naturally more talented a go. McDonough, Helbig, Astbury, O'Hanlon and Arnot I suspect will form the basis of the replacements needed and McBean will be launched next season.

Pick 12 going on our form will be a kid who can contribute straight away.

I think people are underestimating the impact of Hampson. Fair enough, their in the right as he has only shown brief glimpses of his talent. But again, our form here is very good. Grigg, Houli, Maric, Chaplin, Edwards have all become better players since arriving at Punt Road. Hampson is something we lack and an area we got beat in, in a final.

A 203cm athletic ruckman who can leap and give our mids first chance football.

Allows Maric to rest and then bang and crash.

I still fail to see the negative.

Our list was young and these kids needed a go. A great development program has been put in them, time for them to deliver. If all we are missing is the names mentioned, we are going alright.

All clubs have lost players of significance. We havent.

This a million times.

Do people even consider what teams have given up or just look at the in's list.

Sydney gained Buddy. Amazing, fantastic ect... They have also lost Mumford (they only have Pyke as a ruckmen now) and Jed Lamb a first round pick. Thats just the start of their problems from the buddy contract.

Hawks. They have just won a premiership so they have a bit more leeway for going for a top up player in McEvoy. But Buddy, Pick 18 and Pick 19 for McEvoy and 25 actually looks pretty bad. They need young mids and give up a chance to grab two fairly handy ones.

Collingwood look like they have done okay but still lost a lot of talent and experience in Daisy, Shaw and their 2nd round pick for pick 6 and Taylor Adams. They have probably done pretty good but having good players who want out makes it easier.

Carlton IMO have basically said they want a premiership next year while Judd can still run around. 750k a year for Daisy is well over the top and somebody will go out the other side eventually. They lost the best of the 3 amigos (and rightfully so he wanted way too much) and the only one that can play midfield. Lastly they've basically admitted they have no talent coming through by trying to off load a whole heap of first round picks like Bootsma and Lucas (not to mention salary cap space).

Fremantle are the one team i think have significantly improved without losing much, but they have to win a premiership before Pavlich, Sandilands and McPharlin retire. Sylvia will hopefully thrive under Lyon and could be deadly as Forward cum Midfielder and if Gumbleton can get a run with injuries could be a very handy foil for Pavlich.

North have done pretty well getting Dal Santo but their problem wasn't that type of midfielder it was defensive ability. They will probably be a force next year anyway as they have a very good group of young players who will get better like ours. If they don't do it next year they never will. But the one problem they will have is 450k over 3 years for Dal at 30 likely come back to bite them. People already flip out about us paying way too much this year but seem to think paying Dal 1.35 million over 3 years is fine?? He wouldn't turn us into a premiership side either.

Essendon... pfft don't even get me started. Chapman is good at geelong because they can carry his injury. Can Essendon pay him as much as they have and have him only play 10 games a year?? Not to mention they have to find a 30-40 goal a year forward to replace Crameri.

For pick 48 ess got 2 young ones from gws. Seems like firesale to me an we isn't get involved...

Just because McLeod talked one up doesn't mean he is any good. Like Uptheguts said these guys have proven nothing and GWS wouldn't trade players for a pick they probably won't even use if they were any good.

GWS rejected pick 2 for Shiel no way they'd take 12
I wouldn't expect to get Shiel for pick 12 alone, but they have not even attempted to talk what value GWS has placed on him. If they did, maybe GWS may be able to say Shiel isn't available but maybe some other players are up for grabs if you can put up an offer. As I stated if you don't ask you will not find out.
As a couple of seasons ago when gold coast offered up a couple of draft picks for a slight upgrade in it's 1st round pick. It seems that we sit back & wait for someone else to be assertive , it would be nice to show we can be pro-active as well. If no more deals get done, then so be it. At least don't shut out options that may arise by at least still being active.

At the bottom of the article it says about interest in Shiel, yet they didn't even make an offer. Why not at least make an attempt to improve our list, the worst that can happen is it get's rejected. If you don't ask, you will never find out.

I'll buy you a chocolate bar if you give me your house.

I wouldn't expect to get Shiel for pick 12 alone, but they have not even attempted to talk what value GWS has placed on him. If they did, maybe GWS may be able to say Shiel isn't available but maybe some other players are up for grabs if you can put up an offer. As I stated if you don't ask you will not find out.
As a couple of seasons ago when gold coast offered up a couple of draft picks for a slight upgrade in it's 1st round pick. It seems that we sit back & wait for someone else to be assertive , it would be nice to show we can be pro-active as well. If no more deals get done, then so be it. At least don't shut out options that may arise by at least still being active.

They have a 15 minute meeting with every club 1st Monday. They would have asked who was available and then decided if they want to make an offer.

We have proven results so can't really argue the point but I wished we could have gotten Chappy because talent is one thing but experience comes from years and we are going to play finals next year yeah, injuries come into it also but... I honestly don't think our leadership group has the composure yet

Hopefully Arnot and Helbig come into the team to provide this.

Morris and Vlastuin are hard at it types that are established. King may be going out of our best team but brings it.

I agree one or two more but we have a couple. I'm hoping Arnot an Helbig become established.
I hope they come on as well, but not sure they will. We have outside players with currency that could have secured a sure bet uncompromising type.

I went to Essendon DT, Norf and Carlton games x3 came away very disappointed in our intensity and fight when the whipps were cracking. From what I can see this has been put down to youth and a bad day. I'm not convinced it was, I think some select personnel trades would benefit our ability to compete.

11th in contested footy and 16th in tackling is a clear difficiency that we expect internal development alone to fix ?

Yet we were the number 3 defensive team? Probably shows the tackle stay for what it is.

Dimma stated early on he changed a few things and it worked. That was after the Essendon game. Yep we have had some let down games but at the end of the day we had 15 wins and finished 5th. A great percentage. Young team with our core with their best to come. Only lost list cloggers.

We can't really complain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep maturity composure is what we are still developing, I don't understand why we wouldn't take the risks with older recruitment... What you surround yourself with us what you become right?

Are you serious? Trade for tradings sake?

Come on guys we've got huge runs on the board for how we've gone about it last 3 or so years in this period can we all plllllease not be Richmond fans for 5 mins and not demand someone gets sacked, traded or presume somehow that the people running the club successfully perhaps dont deserve the assumption they know better than us.

And for gods sake please don't ask why we haven't traded (like it's our choice) a player who is/will be delisted.
Of course there's no compo for Matt White he's crap....McGuane, I'm not even gonna bother.

Remember what everyone said about Maric, Chaplin? Even knights before he got injured?
"Can't get a game for the crows, too slow....bung knee + Port are crap.....used to kick running goals"

First game hampson plays and we'll all be talking about how selective we are at trading..."we're such good traders they all say. I love how crap dal Santos going" Plenty of back slapping will be had. Plus no one will mention how Daisy T is in All Australian form after round 10.

Aaaaaand then to top it all off when the kid we pick at 12 isn't odds on to win the Nab rising star after round 1 ppl will start a riot.

Say it isn't so

Ill run down what I think of the free-agency/trade periods for Richmond. I would be looking st trading for a need this season and getting a ruckman which we did. I liked how we didnt de-list any players and tried to get something for them, If we do or not is a different story. Why get rid of our first round pick who will possibly be a good players and pay for a player we want? We didnt sign any BIG NAMED players who will be on more then 350k But lost Whitey and McGaune. So next season we will have a fair bit of cap room to get a really good player like Gibbs or Mundy in free-agency, As I think Lids goes to the Vets list also. Let our kids devalop and next season sign a free agent and give our first round pick for a good player and sign 2 good players when we can go for a flag.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

Think it's time to give games to our younger players.
Helbig, Arnott, Ohanlon, Dea, Mcdonough, Williams, McIntosh, Elton, Griffiths and the BEAN.

2-3 of those players will come good next season. We have to get games in to these kids if we don't want another St.Kilda situation.

This a million times.

Do people even consider what teams have given up or just look at the in's list.

Sydney gained Buddy. Amazing, fantastic ect... They have also lost Mumford (they only have Pyke as a ruckmen now) and Jed Lamb a first round pick. Thats just the start of their problems from the buddy contract.

Hawks. They have just won a premiership so they have a bit more leeway for going for a top up player in McEvoy. But Buddy, Pick 18 and Pick 19 for McEvoy and 25 actually looks pretty bad. They need young mids and give up a chance to grab two fairly handy ones.

Collingwood look like they have done okay but still lost a lot of talent and experience in Daisy, Shaw and their 2nd round pick for pick 6 and Taylor Adams. They have probably done pretty good but having good players who want out makes it easier.

Carlton IMO have basically said they want a premiership next year while Judd can still run around. 750k a year for Daisy is well over the top and somebody will go out the other side eventually. They lost the best of the 3 amigos (and rightfully so he wanted way too much) and the only one that can play midfield. Lastly they've basically admitted they have no talent coming through by trying to off load a whole heap of first round picks like Bootsma and Lucas (not to mention salary cap space).

Fremantle are the one team i think have significantly improved without losing much, but they have to win a premiership before Pavlich, Sandilands and McPharlin retire. Sylvia will hopefully thrive under Lyon and could be deadly as Forward cum Midfielder and if Gumbleton can get a run with injuries could be a very handy foil for Pavlich.

North have done pretty well getting Dal Santo but their problem wasn't that type of midfielder it was defensive ability. They will probably be a force next year anyway as they have a very good group of young players who will get better like ours. If they don't do it next year they never will. But the one problem they will have is 450k over 3 years for Dal at 30 likely come back to bite them. People already flip out about us paying way too much this year but seem to think paying Dal 1.35 million over 3 years is fine?? He wouldn't turn us into a premiership side either.

Essendon... pfft don't even get me started. Chapman is good at geelong because they can carry his injury. Can Essendon pay him as much as they have and have him only play 10 games a year?? Not to mention they have to find a 30-40 goal a year forward to replace Crameri.
Very well said.:thumbsu:

I reckon trading is a little bit like gambling. A quote from a character of my favourite tv show, Boardwalk Empire probably sums up our trade period this year. I'll let Arnold Rothstein pick up the story"

"I've made my living in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because there is simply no play. So I wait, plan, marshal my resources, and when I finally see an opportunity and there is a bet to make... I bet it all."

I was initially disappointed we didn't have a crack at Chapman but when his contract demands were revealed, I was glad we didn't. It's seems every big name free agent on the market this year was massively overpaid. Hopefully there's a bit more value next off season. I had hoped our premiership window was going to open next year but probably more likely it will be the year after and the club must think that as well.

Think it's time to give games to our younger players.
Helbig, Arnott, Ohanlon, Dea, Mcdonough, Williams, McIntosh, Elton, Griffiths and the BEAN.

2-3 of those players will come good next season. We have to get games in to these kids if we don't want another St.Kilda situation.
There won't be many regular games out of that list. They become the new list cloggers. Arnot will play every game, McDonough will play 5 or 6 the same as will McBean... Helbig will be the odd sub here and there.. O'hanlon looked good last year but really battled this year, but i see promise as half forward.. Williams i think can be good.. Elton and Griffiths have been given one more year and I'm hoping one of them show something...

We have a model of picking up guys that will fill a role we need for a low cost. We are slowly building a squad that accepts relatively lower salaries for the opportuntiy to go deep in September. This year we filled probably the biggest need, someone that can ruck against the tall athletes.
Other than that we went hard for Adams, but Collingwood paid more for him. At some point you can't fight deeper pockets. After that we need to trade players to get players. We either have guys that we can't afford to lose (Lids etc) or young guys that need to prove themselves. We can't get a trade that we can win this year.

I also feel that we need 2014 to allow some younger players to move into AFL territory - bean, griff, Astbury, McDonut, Helbig etc. 2014 is to me a year that we plan on moving into beign a long run top 4 team. After that we go for the older big name guy to fill aneed to win the premiership. But trading for a 30 year old to trya dn jag one when you aren't near the top is just rolling the dice. And that almost aways doesn't work. We are playing the odds to get a rela shot. I reckon that is exactly what Freo have done and I see them as most likely next year. Carlton and North are trying to jump up based on trading for older guys. Neither is a premiership side and what they have traded for won't help much.

I'l back the process fo building carefully until you cna win the whole thing over going for a shot based on a one of gamble. On that note I reckon Sydney has screwed themselves so badly - i just don't see buddy as being great for them.

To me, it seems we have rested on our laurels this off season.

We had the chance to really go for the jugular and make solid list gains. Instead we're stuck with a measly 3 picks, with only 1 a high pick (12).

Here's a few examples - Apparently we were chasing Tyson Adams and couldn't get the job done. We chased Dom Tyson (the next Simon Black!) last year and he's now surprisingly landed at Melb. even though he was under contract with gws. Billy Longer is available now but we have already jumped at Hampson. Chapman could have added some experience, toughness, leadership and class as a small forward - something we lack. This is just a few examples and there are many more creative and good trades the Tigers could have done.

I think only Cotchin, Ellis, Rance, Chaplin, Vlastuin, Martin, Delidio, Morris, Maric & Riewoldt (for now) are untouchable on our list. The rest are tradable.

Richmond's list managers have been caught napping and sleeping at the wheel.

We had the chance to really go for the jugular and make solid list gains. Instead we're stuck with a measly 3 picks, with only 1 a high pick (12).

Here's a few examples - Apparently we were chasing Tyson Adams and couldn't get the job done. We chased Dom Tyson (the next Simon Black!) last year and he's now surprisingly landed at Melb. even though he was under contract with gws. Billy Longer is available now but we have already jumped at Hampson. Chapman could have added some experience, toughness, leadership and class as a small forward - something we lack. This is just a few examples and there are many more creative and good trades the Tigers could have done.

I think only Cotchin, Ellis, Rance, Chaplin, Vlastuin, Martin, Delidio, Morris, Maric & Riewoldt (for now) are untouchable on our list. The rest are tradable.

Ok,What would you have given up for Adams,Tyson and or Longer?

So you would trade Conca and our B&F winner Daniel Jackson also?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Are we missing the boat by not trading??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back