List Mgmt. Are we missing the boat by not trading??

Remove this Banner Ad

We have proven results so can't really argue the point but I wished we could have gotten Chappy because talent is one thing but experience comes from years and we are going to play finals next year yeah, injuries come into it also but... I honestly don't think our leadership group has the composure yet

I wanted Chappy too but the price he wants is too high. 300k for 2 years with the hammy he just came off. His fitness will probably be ok as he's been durable up till this year but that's alot to pay at his age.

Question 1 - what do we have to trade that is worth Adams, Tyson etc?

Question 2 - Is creating and retaining cap space for when we are really competitive in the top 4 worthwhile? Or should we go hard for late 20's 30 year olds to jump up right now? i.e. Is our window open now?

Question 1 - what do we have to trade that is worth Adams, Tyson etc?

Question 2 - Is creating and retaining cap space for when we are really competitive in the top 4 worthwhile? Or should we go hard for late 20's 30 year olds to jump up right now? i.e. Is our window open now?

Happy to keep the space and wait for Rohan and Dangerfield to come along;):p!!

One thing I will say to all fans - Yes be attached to the RFC, but never become attached to players. At RFC, for years we have over rated our players and list and been a mediocre club.

Footy is big business now and most players are 1-2 average/poor seasons away from being tradeable.

The club will always be bigger than any player.

As I said, there's only a handful of players at Tigerland that are untradeable. The rest are up for grabs. We've made the finals, but now we need to take the next big step forward to being a Flag threat. So if you're not improving, you're going backwards.

One thing I will say to all fans - Yes be attached to the RFC, but never become attached to players. At RFC, for years we have over rated our players and list and been a mediocre club.

Footy is big business now and most players are 1-2 average/poor seasons away from being tradeable.

The club will always be bigger than any player.

As I said, there's only a handful of players at Tigerland that are untradeable. The rest are up for grabs. We've made the finals, but now we need to take the next big step forward to being a Flag threat. So if you're not improving, you're going backwards.

particularly since we are not near the top just yet either. Can't get silly with our development just need to find the best way for our team to improve over time and peak at the right time:thumbsu:

It's not about who we didn't GAIN, it's about who we didn't LOSE. Due to our age profile, this will be the story of our club for the next 5 years.

Everyone else bar North have lost good players and replaced them with good players - REPLACED - not IN ADDITION TO.

Sorry to yell :p

Carlton lost Eddie Betts, one of their best and most dangerous players. It's a nil-all event but everybody gets lost in the excitement of 'Thomas for nothing' or 'Buddy for 9 years' etc. It's merely sideways movement treading on water and eating up salary while the rest of their lists get a year older and closer to retirement.

Our list needed a Hampson. A couple of our 2nd/3rd/4th year youngsters are likely to be serviceable enough to replace White and McGuane. Everyone else is young enough to improve 5% and our guns should bounce back after a poor year by their standards.

Port paid $1 million for Matt White, Lol... Lol... Lol...

Lol...

Lol...

And we want to be more 'active' like them?

. So if you're not improving, you're going backwards.

Myth.

Players retire every year. Others lose form with age. Others drop off ostensibly for no reason.

Our list is in a unique position where we won't lose anyone of significance for several years and we won't lose anyone to drop of form due to age - in fact, we are the opposite - we'll improve due to age.

We'll improve by seemingly 'doing nothing'... Actually:

- We kept Conca while other clubs LOST an equivalent player.

- We kept Martin while other clubs lost a Thomas, Betts, or Buddy... And we kept him for only 500k.

- We brought in an athletic giant ruck at 25yo while Maric needed support.

- We kept all our young talent.

These are advantages over most other clubs who lost young players, lost guns, and lost key players to retirement. Sydney lost Bolton to retirement, we lost Tuck, therefore we come out in front by 'doing nothing'. Don't just look at the "ins" also look at the "outs".

Not a fan of trading for the sake of trading. We identified the bloke we wanted, and got the deal done quickly. It might be the understatement of the decade, but the club put an inordinate amount of work into retaining a couple of the younger lads, and that is just as important as a successful trade imho.

There's been a few meh trades around the place where neither club really won, and the Buddy deal is an example of otherwise intelligent people turning an excellent deal into a potential nightmare. The psychology boffins call it irrational exuberance, if you've ever read one of them great depression/market crash books.

Not a fan of trading for the sake of trading. We identified the bloke we wanted, and got the deal done quickly. It might be the understatement of the decade, but the club put an inordinate amount of work into retaining a couple of the younger lads, and that is just as important as a successful trade imho.

There's been a few meh trades around the place where neither club really won, and the Buddy deal is an example of otherwise intelligent people turning an excellent deal into a potential nightmare. The psychology boffins call it irrational exuberance, if you've ever read one of them great depression/market crash books.

This.

Would have been better to have ****ed around with it for 2 1/2 weeks making it look like we were active. :p

Not many sides do more than 1 deal. It's just they are taking time.

I wanted Chappy too but the price he wants is too high. 300k for 2 years with the hammy he just came off. His fitness will probably be ok as he's been durable up till this year but that's alot to pay at his age.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Yes mate I hear what your saying... But You cannot buy experience, or can you? My question is why did we lose to Carlton when it counted? It's so obvious, because we lacked experience and composure. I rate guys like Troy Chappy highly on his character, his a solid person, Jacko Newy also never die attitude, but we lack depth when it comes to leadership with class... I think our recruitment has been exceptional with guys like Floss and Conca and Ellis cause they are good footy players, skill smarts and physical, and they are leaders also, but they are still young and Richmond are a serious unit now mixing it with the top teams which is foreign for us, having proven stars like the Judd's :p at Carlton have so much value and it's proven fact.

all i can say i hope we learnt from our past mistakes from overpaying/overrating our players because we are too scared to lose or trade them.

the true test is that we back up this year by making finals again and that our list is stable.

we all know what happened in 95 and 01.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

all i can say i hope we learnt from our past mistakes from overpaying/overrating our players because we are too scared to lose or trade them.

the true test is that we back up this year by making finals again and that our list is stable.

we all know what happened in 95 and 01.

I think there is evidence that we are smarter than that now.

The AFL r*ped us though by not compensating us for white and mcguane.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Yes mate I hear what your saying... But You cannot buy experience, or can you? My question is why did we lose to Carlton when it counted? It's so obvious, because we lacked experience and composure. I rate guys like Troy Chappy highly on his character, his a solid person, Jacko Newy also never die attitude, but we lack depth when it comes to leadership with class... I think our recruitment has been exceptional with guys like Floss and Conca and Ellis cause they are good footy players, skill smarts and physical, and they are leaders also, but they are still young and Richmond are a serious unit now mixing it with the top teams which is foreign for us, having proven stars like the Judd's :p at Carlton have so much value and it's proven fact.

Agree with all that. It's the exact reason I wanted him. I'd probably still have gone close to giving him that sort of deal but I can understand why the club would baulk. It isn't exactly a small contract.

yeah and????we are threatening for the flag are we? Lets get real we need major overhauls in certain areas before we get close

i bet thats what people said of geelong after we finished above them in 2006, sydney both years they won the flag, port this year, wce and adelaide last year and so on. you cant predict what may happen simply in 1 off season. for a team like us who has made constant improvements every year and who finished with 15 wins, the smartest course is to bank on that continued improvement and avoid getting desperate and doing something silly.

This reminds me of how say a big bloody plasma comes out,our your kids want a play station 9 or whatever it's up to now and people go straight out and get one.
The players on offer are overpriced and will be superseeded by far superior models on 12 months time and proper value for investment will be on offer.
Am I worried watching clubs tie themselves in knots whilst we just sit back and watch the shitstorm? Not a chance.

Not disappointed about missing out on (electing not to go for) Chapman. It means we are backing in Knights etc to do that role and that we have faith in the current leadership.

I don't think we have done badly with the Hampson 32 trade and leaving it at that...however:

It does seem that "our need", which was a big ruckman appears to be readily available this trade period with Mcvoy, Mumford and Longer moving. You could also throw J.White/Gumbleton in as big men who could add a bit for late picks. I think for the first time in a few years jumping in early wasn't the best thing to do.

In summary, not terrible but I think we could have done more. Instead of maybe paying slight overs for Hampson we could have had a great trade period like the Pies and got some quality cheap. Ah well. Hampson to surprise many and justify selection!!! :D

I don't mind if we simply trade for a need this period and stay quiet if we can really be active during next seasons trade period when some real quality comes out of contract. You can't put icing on a cake that's not done.

There won't be many regular games out of that list. They become the new list cloggers. Arnot will play every game, McDonough will play 5 or 6 the same as will McBean... Helbig will be the odd sub here and there.. O'hanlon looked good last year but really battled this year, but i see promise as half forward.. Williams i think can be good.. Elton and Griffiths have been given one more year and I'm hoping one of them show something...

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaat....... didn't you hear our big plans for Mcbean - He is going to kick more than jack in 2014, even if he starts as sub every game. Mcbean could never clog anything...have you seen his body? jokes.

but seriously, Mcbean has talent and could be anything for us. I am excited to see him at AFL level. I love biscuit too - He is such an animal!

Edit**** Trading - I dont think it's necessary to do it to "just be involved" - only for a needs basis.

I have found myself disappointed at RFC not being more active in this trade period. However, on reflection I believe many of us have developed a 'trade multiple times phobia'. Over the last three or so years RFC have been very active in the trade period. Multiple trades and being heavily involved in deal making have become part of our expectations at this time of the year. So this year we have done very little and many of us don't like it.

The phobia goes a bit like this. I don't like it because I need my fix. Let's trade, cm'on, do something, FFS what are you guys getting paid for? Shame RFC, shame.

Every day I check on here hoping to see RFC get a trade done. I don't care who. Lets get Gus back from Adelaide for pick 5321 or something. Do something FFS. Shame RFC, shame.

We also miss the old days as well when we actively sought out spuds from other clubs and gave them contracts. Why can't we trade for Paul Hudson again. Shame RFC, shame

But alas no, we have calm heads at RFC now. People who make rational and calculated decisions about our list and what it needs. People who will not be bullied or swayed from their path. To put all this in context having these wise heads is in itself is a bloody miracle by RFC standards FFS, so perhaps I should calm down, slow my breathing and reduce my anxiety.

regards FFS

Please just one trade, one more please FFS. Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaassssseee just one more.

We should have gone hard for Adams and Tyson. Read it and weep, this kid is touted as the next Simon Black. We've sat on our hands this whole trade period.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOM Tyson left his Camberwell bedroom two years ago, a number three pick in the draft whose prized possession was a Matthew Richardson poster on his wall.

This week he returned to the same bedroom and the same "Richo" poster, the differences being he is now a number two pick and plays for Melbourne rather than the Greater Western Sydney Giants.

Tyson, 20, is symptomatic of today's AFL world where you can leave for the wedding of a teammate (Setanta O’hAilpin) in Hawaii wearing orange, charcoal and white and return calling navy blue and red your favourite colours.

And that was after growing up a passionate yellow and black fan, hence the Richardson poster on his bedroom wall.

Sadly Richo will be given a new resting place and Tyson will set about trying to justify the enormous faith Melbourne has placed in him when parting with Picks 2, 20 and 72 for Tyson and selections 9 and 53.http://www.foxsports.com.au/sport/a...-stewart-crameri/story-fn69a32t-1226744056468
“Changing clubs when I left for Hawaii was the furthest thing from my mind, I hadn’t expressed any interest in returning home,” said Tyson.

“The year before there was a little talk with Richmond but I re-signed and then got a knee injury which threw me a bit but all my discussions with the Giants were about getting fit and getting a pre-season into me.

“Fortunately the knee is now 100 percent so I’m ready to go.”

Which is what Melbourne supporters want to hear given the club is desperate for midfield depth. Style-wise he is described as strong in contested footy and clearances, plus clever with his hands in close.

As for having already been a Pick 3 and 2 in his two-year and 13-game career, Tyson laughs.

“At least I’m going up. All that external stuff I can’t worry about, I just a have to worry about what my coaches say. Paul Roos and George Stone really impressed me with their honesty when we met.

“And I love the thought of playing at the MCG. I went to GWS to play football but there are extra responsibilities such as clinics where early on all they asked was 'where’s Izzy (Israel Folau)’.

“Now at least they want to know about "Jezza" (Jeremy Cameron) and he is quickly becoming a superstar up there, next to Adam Goodes.

“Where we first were, it’s all rugby. The boys couldn’t get to Homebush quickly enough when the move was announced. The players now have a chance to get closer to places like Bondi and Coogee.”

The friendships he made at the Giants with players such as Stephen Coniglio and Toby Greene will remain, as will two jumpers he owns with pride.

One is the club’s first match in the 2012 local derby against the Swans, the other the team’s inaugural win over the Gold Coast Suns on April 27, 2012, in Canberra.

Good memories but nothing more given Tyson has business to take care of as he tries to forge a new career with the Demons. Melbourne believe injury, form and home-sickness combined to prevent him from displaying his best in 2011-2012, not unlike Josh Caddy with the Suns before he joined Geelong in a breakout 2012 season.

Read more: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/other-sports/melbourne-recruit-dom-tyson-reveals-paul-roos-was-a-key-to-decision-to-quit-gws/story-e6frf56c-1226744532150#ixzz2ibAcy2Zo

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Are we missing the boat by not trading??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back