Opinion Are we on the verge of another period of dominance from teams not based in Melbourne?

Is the AFL about to be dominated by teams based outside of Melbourne?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unlikely. It's not a coincidence since free agency came (2013 I believe) in only 1 non Victorian team has won the flag (WC 2018). That in itself is disgraceful and AFL need to look at the free agency/salary cap rules. Non Victorian teams need to complain publicly about it until something is done. Who cares if it sounds like a whinge

Yeah it's bizzare. No way we want our very own rivals to win the flag because they're from Victoria. No *ing way I wanted Geelong, Richmond, Hawthorn etc. to win 😂

Believe me, I've been barracking for every interstate club to win.
How many fans were supporting Dogs vs GWS (prelim)/Sydney (gf) and Richmond vs Adelaide? Plenty, which was very strange

Unlikely. It's not a coincidence since free agency came (2013 I believe) in only 1 non Victorian team has won the flag (WC 2018). That in itself is disgraceful and AFL need to look at the free agency/salary cap rules. Non Victorian teams need to complain publicly about it until something is done. Who cares if it sounds like a whinge

Get over it !

How many fans were supporting Dogs vs GWS (prelim)/Sydney (gf) and Richmond vs Adelaide? Plenty, which was very strange

I definitely was supporting Giants over Dogs and Crows ovet Tigers in those instances you cited, not to mention I will shout Dom Sheed beers for life for his heroics in the 2018 GF.

Doggies I'll give you as probably the only one that had majority support, it was a 62 year drought and they are one of the smaller Victorian clubs.

But Richmond and any other victorian club you are absolutely kidding yourself. Maybe I can't speak for most Victorians , but everyone I knew wanted to Richmond to fail and stay a laughing stock. No idea where you saw all these other fans going for Richmond

Last edited:
Sydney and Brisbane will be up around the mark.

Port and Freo will possibly be 2 others in the 8.

The last 4 teams left in 2022 were Bris, Syd, Coll, Geel

Non Vic sides are getting up there but just failing at the GF stage.

Need to get 2 home Prelims really to have a huge shot.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Father son favours the established clubs (mostly vic)massively. Roughly 3 to 1
Nga favoured the vic clubs over SA and wa.
Grand final in Melbourne
Lots of neutral games pushes sides towards top 4 or bottom 4. Non Vic clubs tend to be in the middle.
Percentage of home grown talent is a nig advantage to vic clubs.

I think the big advantage is the ability to top up in areas of need. Richmond gets two mids and a generational forward, Hawks got Gunston, Lake, etc, Melbourne got May and co. , Geelong 15 players
Sa and wa get some players coming back, but don't get the same number so can't pick and choose the player they need.

That has nothing to do with making it into the Grand Final
In fact, statistically non-Vic clubs are more likely to make finals.
So there's an advantage to non-Vic clubs.
If 2 non Vic clubs make the grand final, any Vic advantage is neutralised.
In any case, there is no statistical evidence of a statistical advantage for Vic or Melbourne based clubs in grand finals. This topic has been done to death.

If there is a net advantage in the game home factor for Vic clubs, and that's highly debatable, how does the AFL force players to want to go home?

Other advantages non-Vic clubs have is getting to play all of their home games at their home ground, and having a home state advantage in 10 of their 11 home games.

So far you haven't come up with a single reason as to why the AFL have ensured that it can't happen.

Have you got anything else?

is the home state advantage of interstate clubs not offset the next week when their opponent has it?

Correlation does not imply causation :rolleyes: Do you also get upset with the fact that St Kilda hasn't won a flag every 18 years?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So that’s an AFL conspiracy?
In any case, in the H&A season there’s a statistical advantage to non-Vic clubs. You don’t hear us crying foul about that.

i didn't say anything about a conspiracy. I saw someone write that something was an advantage that didn't make sense to me. If it's an advantage, which I agree with, one week then surely it's reversed the following week then that team travels. Do you disagree?

Sydney got Franklin almost immediately after free agency was introduced. The Lions have benefitted from it in recent times with players like Daniher, Birchall and Gunston (who, albeit, was traded but only because Hawthorn wanted draft compensation due to Amon signing). It's not Vicbias when teams like Brisbane, Port and Sydney have consistently underperformed in finals and not won games they should've.

Grand Final always in Melbourne.

Draft much harder for non-Victorian teams as we have access to far fewer players in the draft pool since we have to avoid all the players who will want to go home almost immediately. AFL have done nothing to help with this.

Victorian teams massively benefit from the "go home factor". I mean look at Richmond just this year, managing to basically fix their midfield issues by recruiting both Hopper and Taranto.

Get real. Go have a look on the Swans list of academy players they accessed cheap.

Swans have no problems attracting trades from outside NSW.

At least the AFL stopped the COLA rort when they were also providing the cash. Just like they stopped the same thing for the Lions after their 3 peat.

Swans have not spent long outside the top 8 and have a pretty decent list.

Compared to what the SA and WA clubs get (nothing) the Swans are on easy street.

Is your idea that Victorians love every other Victorian club? How would you go umpiring a WC game?
Vic supporters look after vic clubs.

It is how the nga system happened. Lots of decisions can be made that favour all vic clubs.

I could make a decision that only sa and wa clubs get a nga, and then give the vic clubs an academy 12 months later but only in a small area of there state.

I could then change the rules to father son, to ensure all sa and wa clubs had 3 times the players available.

Vic supporters look after vic clubs.

It is how the nga system happened. Lots of decisions can be made that favour all vic clubs.

I could make a decision that only sa and wa clubs get a nga, and then give the vic clubs an academy 12 months later but only in a small area of there state.

I could then change the rules to father son, to ensure all sa and wa clubs had 3 times the players available.
Explain the NGA thing to me

Explain the NGA thing to me
Vic got it 12 months before sa and wa.

Vic got nt, vic and tas, sa and wa only got a small area of the regional area of state for indigenous players.

Then they finally got the entire state, but only after pick 40.

The AFL are essentially an arm of the Victorian Government. The Victorian Government funnels huge amounts of tax payer money to the AFL and its infrastructure, much under the guise of "community" benefits. The explosion of the absolute shit show that is AFLW has given them even more scope. The grubby MCG contract is a clear example of quid pro quo. The Vic government (and masses who lap up Sporting Capital propaganda) need to see a ROI to justify that kind of spend. They called for a Royal Commission into why Vic teams weren't winning back in 2007 FFS. Since then only 2 of the next 16 flags have left the Fitzroy Garage Party. Conspiracy? Its there in plain sight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Are we on the verge of another period of dominance from teams not based in Melbourne?

Back