• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Not sure

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Except thats a load of crap because the Eberts are pretty pissed off that we didn't pick him and he is off to Perth :rolleyes:

This had nothing to do with with upsetting the apple cart and EVERYTHING to do with taking a big risk. Brad was one bird in the hand, Dangerfield is 2 birds in the tree!

I do hope this kid has some real integrity and character to repay the club for giving him a chance on his terms and he sticks around for the long run because of it. I can understand if we did this with a local kid, but interstater :confused:

Stiffy,

IYO are you pissed we didnt pick Ebert??? And for what reasons have we gone for Dangerfeild???

Me I know nothing about Dangerfeild.

Dude,

Russell is a dead set legend. great bloke, if it weren't for errors of judgement as a young lad (choosing to play for the filth) then I'd have voted for him today.

just say no to rubbishing the Russ.
Fair call, he's a nice guy, was a fantastic player second only to Barrie Robran and seems very genuine, although that "error of judgment" was a pretty serious one that can hardly be forgiven. With all that, do I care that he's upset about his nephew? About as much as I care about John Howard losing his seat.

Fair call, he's a nice guy, was a fantastic player second only to Barrie Robran and seems very genuine, although that "error of judgment" was a pretty serious one that can hardly be forgiven. With all that, do I care that he's upset about his nephew? About as much as I care about John Howard losing his seat.

he speaks very highly of you :thumbsu:

Yep, I;m a happy camper. Ebert would ahve been a safe play but the thing to think about is that if we had had pick three in this draft, we would have taken Dangerfield. He was still there at ten, so Adelaide made the call. If the club had rated "Roger" and Ebert about equal, I'm sure they would have gone for the SA boy. But they clearly didn't. If you want to feel good about the decision, take a gander at his video on the draft tracker. I feel the need for speed:) As for the rest, Otten, Jacky and Cook are good solid gets and I don't know much about the others. And I heard Rendell say that five of our top 30 didn't get chosen, so we should get one of thes in the rookie draft.

I think its pretty similar to the Boak pick from last year. As supporters you have it in your head who you are gonna pick. You generally come to a consensus with your first pick, if its high enough, about who will be there and if there is a slider then if you'd pick them up.

Everyone thought we would go tall with the Boak pick last year. We didnt. There was almost a riot. I think its similar here. Everyone thought 'if Ebert slides, Crows will pick him 100% write it down, guaranteed, lock it in eddie'. Even though as supporters you never really know what your club is thinking. None of us are in the inner sactum with the recruiters so none of us really know where kids are truly rated.

Its a risk because Ebert was the standout SA player in this draft and if he lives up to his potential could be a very good long term player at the highest level. But you rated Dangerfield higher than Ebert. Therefore, you made the right decision.

Whether he ends up going home who knows. You cant draft on the basis of SOO. You gotta trust your judgement.

Good to see most of you have warmed to Dangerfield. I said prior to the draft that I thought the club wouldn't rate Ebert so much as a long term midfield superstar because he doesn't have any real standout weapons. We've gone for someone who does, and my God he looks a likely prospect.

I voted no, primarily because of the use of pick 10 on Dangerfield, and despite a lot of positive comments lately I still think it was the wrong move.

For a team that's in the process of a massive rebuild, I would have thought they would have used this on a ready-to-go player. Most teams use a top 10 pick on exactly that, a player who will play a good number of AFL standard games in their first year, and after the departures in the last couple of months that was what I was looking forward to. Unfortunately it's a player with no intention of playing at the top level for over a year, and worse still remains in Victoria to give him 12 more months of reasons to want to go back when the remaining year of his contract is up. Also a worry are a couple of comments that's less than flattering about his kicking - have we again picked a great athlete instead of a natural footballer? All up I think it's too big a risk for that pick, and I would have rather seen it used on Ebert, Grimes or even Rioli.

The follow up picks of Otten and Jacki sound promising, and at the very least we'll get a few laughs out of Myke Cook's name. As has been mentioned Walker's a huge pick in this draft, but that was always a given so I haven't factored that in.

Time will tell, but as things are right now I stuck with no - I really hope Dangerfield proves us doubters wrong, because we really didn't need to blow another top 10 pick on a dud, or for that matter the new Simon Tragenza.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are the Crows able to sign Dangerfield for 3 years, given that his first year he will be away from the Club

Nothing to stop them from signing him for 3 years even if this weren't a factor. AFLPA Agreement mandates minimum terms for draftee contracts, anything beyond those terms would be negotiable between the club & the player's manager.

The question is whether he would WANT to sign a longer deal. After 2 years he'd be hoping to be establishing himself as a regular member of the team, and would thus be able to demand better terms in his next contract.

For a team that's in the process of a massive rebuild, I would have thought they would have used this on a ready-to-go player.

actually you have this entirely about face. you have confused what rebuilding is.

you would go for ready made, if you were NOT rebuilding for the long term. re-tooling for the future, means most talent, best prospect in the long run.

Stiffy,

IYO are you pissed we didnt pick Ebert??? And for what reasons have we gone for Dangerfeild???

Me I know nothing about Dangerfeild.
Am I disappointed we didn't pick Ebert?!

Yes! Yes I am but thats because I wanted us to minimize the risk. Ebert was a "safe" pick in a lot of ways. Midfielder whose game would translate well to the AFL level and while he is unlikely to be a genuine superstar of the competition, I think he can be a VERY VERY good player for a long time. Think Scott Thompson without brain fades and better disposal. And to top it off he was a local and was unlikely to bolt anywhere.

Now the AFC obviously rated Ebert but they had someone they rated higher. Riskier pick but with greater upside. AFC have backed themselves in. They have rolled the dice and if they win, they look like geniuses, if they lose they look like idiots but its the gamble they were prepared to take and the fact that they overlooked a player they rate very highly in Ebert, to draft a kid that won't be in the state for another 12 months, suggest that they rate Rodney EXTREMLY highly.

While I am may disagree with the strategy, I also have to congratulate the club for having the balls of steel to take a gamble in a hope of striking it big. I would have gone the safe pick, the AFC want to aim for the stars. Thats where we differed and thats OK but any suggestion that AFC overlooked Ebert just so they don't upset Port Adelaide is rather childish and baseless. This is a multi-million dollar business and you don't make decisions based on not wanting to upset someone or to stick it up someone. You base them on what you think is right for your club not anything else.

Happy with our picks? Absolutley! Don't have to get that bucket now.

Lets hope hope all supporters get right behind these young boys and give them a chance. They are going to take a few years and also make a few errors along the way, because of the way they play the game. They are risks takers!

This is what most of us have been calling for and we don't need idiots criticising these kids and making them feel like they want to go home.

Back them in as the club has and I'm sure our future will be exciting.

AFC have backed themselves in. They have rolled the dice and if they win, they look like geniuses, if they lose they look like idiots but its the gamble they were prepared to take and the fact that they overlooked a player they rate very highly in Ebert, to draft a kid that won't be in the state for another 12 months, suggest that they rate Rodney EXTREMLY highly.

While I am may disagree with the strategy, I also have to congratulate the club for having the balls of steel to take a gamble in a hope of striking it big. I would have gone the safe pick, the AFC want to aim for the stars. Thats where we differed and thats OK but any suggestion that AFC overlooked Ebert just so they don't upset Port Adelaide is rather childish and baseless. This is a multi-million dollar business and you don't make decisions based on not wanting to upset someone or to stick it up someone. You base them on what you think is right for your club not anything else.

This post is spot on. Rodney can play in 09 for us. At that stage he would have had 2 big pre seasons under us. Now to think that we picked Dangerfield over Ebert considering the 'year 12 in victoria thing' gives a good indication of how much they rated the kid.

The last part os also spot on. When it comes to draft day, who gives a toss about Port Adelaide ? We pick the best players who will contribute the most to the club in their tenure here. Simple as that.

Sriffy 18

How is Ebert a safe pick ?

Who is to say that in 3 seasons time Ebert wont want to try and go to the Power

In an interview with Ebert earlier in the year, he said he was happy to go to asny club, however he will always believe the Power is the greatest club and their would always be a lure to play for the club his family played for......

This alone makes Ebert a risky pick

Having had an extra day now to absorb it all, I think the club has done an outstanding job with its draft selections.

Macca19 put it beautifully about the Dangerfield selection being like the Boak one last year. we all expected the name Ebert at 10, and went WTF when it came up Dangerfield.

Having watched his highlights video, Dangerfield looks to be exactly what we all said we needed before the draft - a speedy but tough mid-fielder. :thumbsu:

Each of the other draft picks addresses various short-comings in our current squad plus they have pace.

As always time will be the answer, but at this stage it would appear that the club has done well.

I'm ****ing stoked with our draft. I think we all agreed early in the year that this draft was going to be a lot about pace for the AFC - they went after it and they got shitloads of it. What's more we picked some players who appear to have genuine talent and flair as well as addressing our need for a bit more height through the middle. We also got ourselves a couple of youngsters able to play the small forward role which is excellent.

It's the sort of crop that won't draw a lot of attention from the media (i.e. West Coast with both Masten and Ebert) but that's just the way I like it; we know we've done well and can keep it quiet. For all the negative talk about Rendell (and that stuff up when reading out the player number) we have picked players with the tools to sort out a lot of deficiencies in the squad, and again there is some genuine talent (a bit of star potential if you will) in the mix. Gotta hope they develop now. :thumbsu:

The more I read on our draftees the more excited I get. Looking over our draftees I think we have done extremely well and should hopefully get some pretty decent polayers out of them.

Was initially disappointed we didn't pick up Ebert but now I'm glad we went the way we did. Obviously Dangerfield staying in Victoria is not ideal, but I don't see it as too big an issue, I think we should be pretty excited with what we have with him.

Overall extremely happy with our drafting. Very much look forward to following their progress throughout the pre season and into next year.

Once I got over the shock of not getting you know who when he was available, yes, yes, yes, very happy.

Of course we don't know how they will turn out as quality footballers, but the draft is a gamble. If we get three of this crop that stay and become very good club players, that makes it worth while IMO.

Reading their bio's and finding out their personal traits, they seem to be the best bunch overall we have picked up. But we wont know that until two, three years down the track.

Still I would have picked a ruckman with one later spot.

I'm very happy with who we drafted.

Obviously the main talking point is the Dangerfield - Ebert issue. I believe that it could have been the wrong decision, as danger field wont be playing or be involved with crows much in 08. This wont help his early development.

Ebert is a pretty much ready to go player - whereas Dangerfield is going to take a long time.

I'm of the opinion that if you have two players sitting there which are rated very similar in so many aspects - one from home and one from interstate...you should always take the home state player first.

Adelaide must have rated Dangerfield much higher in their rankings.

So in one aspect picking up Dangerfield is going to be exciting for us. Or on the other hand it could to come back and bite us. I guess only time will tell.

I'm pretty pumped we picked up Otten, I tipped us to get Scott Simpson as a tall forward, but to get Otten is going to be sooo much better.

Cant wait to monitor Ottens & Sellars progress.

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you happy with the Crows Draft?

Back