Game Day Ashes 5: Benny Hill v Paul Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Go to bed, everyone

Not until you admit Rose murdered Jack

images

#BlackWidowJazny

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ponting: Ball changes 'need to be investigated'

Ricky Ponting believes the choice of replacement ball during Australia’s second innings in the fifth Ashes Test at The Oval was a “huge blunder” which “needs to be investigated”.

“The biggest concern I have is the big discrepancy in the condition of the ball that was chosen to replace the one [that had gone out of shape],” Ponting said on Sky Sports. “There’s no way in the world you can even look at those two balls there and say in any way are they comparable.

“At the end of the day, if you are going to change the ball, you want to make sure that you get it right, so [you make it] as close as you possibly can to the one that you’re changing it from. Now if you have a look in that box, there weren’t too many older-condition balls in there. There were some older ones that were picked up, the umpires looked at that and threw them back.

“I just cannot fathom how two international umpires that have done that a lot of times before can get that so wrong. That is a huge moment in this game, potentially a huge moment in the Test match, and something I think actually has to be investigated: whether there was the right condition of balls in the box, or the umpires have just, blasé, picked one out of there that they think will be OK to use.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day Ashes 5: Benny Hill v Paul Hogan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back