Competitions Ashes Comp

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, it's weird but it's a stretch to say we are lucky as the Poms are painting it. They forget we won the first two tests. And that they have won every toss and in nearly every test have had the best of both the batting and bowling conditions. And still couldn't beat us! They can get away with saying whatever they like over there because the parochial press is very uncritical. In fact the press is a large part of their cheer squad.

That said I reckon the Australians will be mentally very fragile going into the fifth test. They had no answers to bazbatting and couldn't hold out against Wood's genuine pace and Woakes' ability to move the ball around. England will be fired up to prove a point too. I'll be very surprised - pleasantly surprised mind you - if it isn't a big win to England.

There's talk of bringing Murphy in for Green who is lacking confidence. Probably a good move to give Murphy some match experience against one of the most challenging batting lineups in test cricket. He didn't get a decent bowl at all in the third test. Spinners need longish spells and he didn't get one. If Australia can bat first he might be a handful in the fourth innings. Marsh has to stay, as do Starc and Hazlewood. Warner will only stay because it's his last test in England and because Renshaw and Harris hadn't been banging the door down as alternatives. He has had a good career but his time is up. He has barely fired a shot this series. 201 runs at 25.12 is terrible by test standards and in comparison with his own career averages.

I 100% agree. It’s been strange how it’s been painted by some. First and Third Test were 50/50’s and were probably won by the team that was slightly behind most of the game, Australia were clearly better in game 2 but some Stokes heroics at the end got me a little nervous and they were substantially better in game 4 but they were lucky the rain got the better of them. Sounds a pretty even series, hopefully we win this game and the chatter that they were robbed completely shuts down.

Warner is very fortunate that he keeps getting chances. I’m not convinced that the other guys are any good but it is hard to think they’d do much worse. Think I said after game 2 and I still believe it now, the only small chance he was to get dropped between now and his Sydney Test retirement plan was if it had got back to 2-2, otherwise they will wait until he calls he walks away on his own terms.

Australia have won the toss (at last!) and have chosen to bowl, probably because England like chasing in the fourth innings.

Only change in the 11 is Murphy comes in for Green.

Teams still to be posted from the following. You'll get your 4th test team if you don't nominate a new one. Plus any subs as required. No drama.
ossie_21
Mofra
Cudi
Next Waiting
Bulldoge

If you don't want your rollover team you have just over 15 minutes to post the one you want.

Australia have won the toss (at last!) and have chosen to bowl, probably because England like chasing in the fourth innings.

Only change in the 11 is Murphy comes in for Green.

Teams still to be posted from the following. You'll get your 4th test team if you don't nominate a new one. Plus any subs as required. No drama.
ossie_21
Mofra
Cudi
Next Waiting
Bulldoge

If you don't want your rollover team you have just over 15 minutes to post the one you want.
Lab (PP)
Smith
Head
Carey

Thanks DW - I managed to fall asleep before the last test started ... missed the jump for the comp. Not this time though:)

Last edited:
Tough night coming up …

Fifth Ashes test
Matildas
TDFF
World Swimming Championships

Did I miss anything?
Anyway I’ll be doing my best.

Thank dog there’s no footy on.

EDIT: Broncos playing the Roosters too (yawn)

Tough night coming up …

Fifth Ashes test
Matildas
TDFF
World Swimming Championships

Did I miss anything?
Anyway I’ll be doing my best.

Thank dog there’s no footy on.
Oh, just a little thing called Dogs Behaving (very) Badly Footscray Australia

You forgot you had Green in your 4th test team so you get the substitute - Cummins

I didn’t forget that, I just didn’t read all of your post saying who Murphy came in for earlier

Lol

Probably only one more day of play left now. Starting to look like England will win and get a 2-2 series draw out of it. Going to need some resolute batting from the likes of Khawaja and Smith or some blistering scoring from Warner, Head and Marsh. Or a lot of rain. :)

The BF Ashes comp is going down to the wire though. Bulldoge , Snarls Barkley and dogwatch in a 3-way tussle for the 5th test. Snarls looking most likely for the overall series win but ossie_21 and dogwatch not without a chance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably only one more day of play left now. Starting to look like England will win and get a 2-2 series draw out of it. Going to need some resolute batting from the likes of Khawaja and Smith or some blistering scoring from Warner, Head and Marsh. Or a lot of rain. :)

The BF Ashes comp is going down to the wire though. Bulldoge , Snarls Barkley and dogwatch in a 3-way tussle for the 5th test. Snarls looking most likely for the overall series win but ossie_21 and dogwatch not without a chance.

I think I've cemented my spot as the 12th man

Congratulations to Snarls Barkley for nailing the fifth test result. He was the only one to pick Todd Murphy who ended up being the top point scorer (even before the benefit of the multiplier was applied). Here is the fifth test result. Bulldoge had yet another good result sneaking into 2nd just 8 points ahead of dogwatch:

1690853544144.png

And with that result Snarls also takes out the series title 1500 points ahead of ossie_21 with dogwatch another 1700+ further back in third. Special mention to Bulldoge who gave us all a one-test start but finished top three in the next four tests only 7500 behind the winner.

1690853812641.png

Thanks everyone who participated. A little bit of fun to take our mind off the footy when it was needed.

Well done to both the Australian and English teams. An epic series and probably a fair result for the series.

Thanks for the comp DW. Was enjoyable.

Got fortunate as the only person with the Marsh selection in the third Test and the Murphy selection in the fifth Test. Would’ve been middle of the pack without those two guys carrying me.

Bulldoge by far the most impressive performer. A 1st, two 2nds and a 3rd in the four appearances. Perhaps the Bazball moral winner.

Thanks for the comp DW. Was enjoyable.

Got fortunate as the only person with the Marsh selection in the third Test and the Murphy selection in the fifth Test. Would’ve been middle of the pack without those two guys carrying me.

Bulldoge by far the most impressive performer. A 1st, two 2nds and a 3rd in the four appearances. Perhaps the Bazball moral winner.
So much discussion around the moral victors of this Ashes series! Awesome to watch but I am glad the super late nights are over. Well done on the win Snarls and thanks DW for organising.

So much discussion around the moral victors of this Ashes series! Awesome to watch but I am glad the super late nights are over. Well done on the win Snarls and thanks DW for organising.
So many controversial moments in the series and many factors in determining the moral winner ...
  • The Bairstow stumping/brain fade
  • The abominable behaviour of the MCC members at Lords
  • England getting the best of the conditions and the toss for most of the first four tests, even the weather in the fifth favoured England
  • The washout at Manchester - the only time the weather strongly favoured Australia
  • The "new" ball that England got after 30-odd overs - it swung the test and should not be allowed to happen again, whatever the cause
  • BazBall v TradBall
  • Untimely injuries (Archer, Leach, Ali, Lyon, Green, etc)
  • The sapping six test schedule for Australia
  • The Broad bail switching
... and so on. I've no doubt missed a few.

I still reckon the overall result was about right. People will argue the other stuff for years but it's history now. Test cricket is the big winner.

One last point - special mention to Stuart Broad. Great character and brilliant competitor. Terrific career. The game will be poorer without him.