Competitions Ashes Comp

Remove this Banner Ad

There are six of you still to nominate a team for the test starting in under half an hour.

If you don't nominate one you will get the team you had in the third test (with subs for Murphy/Boland if necessary).

Mofra
Bulldoge
Snarls Barkley
Wocka
grassman75
Next Waiting

England have won the toss. That's four in a row. They've sent Australia in again.

Teams:
AUSTRALIA
David Warner Opening Batter
Usman Khawaja Top order Batter
Marnus Labuschagne Batting Allrounder
Steven Smith Middle order Batter
Travis Head Middle order Batter
Mitchell Marsh Allrounder
Cameron Green Batting Allrounder
Alex Carey †Wicketkeeper Batter
Mitchell Starc Bowler
Pat Cummins (c)Bowler
Josh Hazlewood Bowler

ENGLAND
Ben Duckett Top order Batter
Zak Crawley Top order Batter
Moeen Ali Batting Allrounder
Joe Root Top order Batter
Harry Brook Batter
Ben Stokes (c)Allrounder
Jonny Bairstow †Wicketkeeper Batter
Chris Woakes Allrounder
Mark Wood Bowler
Stuart Broad Bowler
James Anderson Bowler

Some reports of unsettled weather. Nothing new for Manchester.

"If you can see the Pennines it's about to rain. If you can't see them it IS raining."

If Cummins takes all 20 wickets, I will protest
Protest dismissed.

images

Next please!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Cummins takes all 20 wickets, I will protest
Starc is currently top of the player list with 1672 points. Cummins is bottom of that list with 19 points.

I'm guessing you won't be running up the protest flag any time soon ossie. ;)

Starc is currently top of the player list with 1672 points. Cummins is bottom of that list with 19 points.

I'm guessing you won't be running up the protest flag any time soon ossie. ;)

Ill Allow It GIF

Bit of a weird way to retain the Ashes.

By far the worst we've played in the five Tests we've had in England so far, but the cricket gods smiled down on us with almost two days of rain.

Hopefully we can put on a performance for the fifth Test. Would be nice to win a series over there. Deserved to win in 2019 but threw it away with a bit of a garbage performance in the last Test, think this group will be keen to accomplish the win this time around. A lot won't be back in 2027.

Bit of a weird way to retain the Ashes.

By far the worst we've played in the five Tests we've had in England so far, but the cricket gods smiled down on us with almost two days of rain.

Hopefully we can put on a performance for the fifth Test. Would be nice to win a series over there. Deserved to win in 2019 but threw it away with a bit of a garbage performance in the last Test, think this group will be keen to accomplish the win this time around. A lot won't be back in 2027.
Yes, it's weird but it's a stretch to say we are lucky as the Poms are painting it. They forget we won the first two tests. And that they have won every toss and in nearly every test have had the best of both the batting and bowling conditions. And still couldn't beat us! They can get away with saying whatever they like over there because the parochial press is very uncritical. In fact the press is a large part of their cheer squad.

That said I reckon the Australians will be mentally very fragile going into the fifth test. They had no answers to bazbatting and couldn't hold out against Wood's genuine pace and Woakes' ability to move the ball around. England will be fired up to prove a point too. I'll be very surprised - pleasantly surprised mind you - if it isn't a big win to England.

There's talk of bringing Murphy in for Green who is lacking confidence. Probably a good move to give Murphy some match experience against one of the most challenging batting lineups in test cricket. He didn't get a decent bowl at all in the third test. Spinners need longish spells and he didn't get one. If Australia can bat first he might be a handful in the fourth innings. Marsh has to stay, as do Starc and Hazlewood. Warner will only stay because it's his last test in England and because Renshaw and Harris hadn't been banging the door down as alternatives. He has had a good career but his time is up. He has barely fired a shot this series. 201 runs at 25.12 is terrible by test standards and in comparison with his own career averages.

Winner of the Fourth Test in the Ashes Comp was ossie_21 ahead of the very consistent Bulldoge and then Cudi

Here's the scoreboard:

And ossie is also the overall leader for the series. Here's the leaderboard for the series:

1690199139873.png

Still at least half a dozen who could win it.

I'll publish the multipliers for the fifth test on Wednesday night when we should have a better idea who is going to be in the team.
So grassman75 no excuses this time. You've been notified. Get your team in.

Here are the multipliers for the fifth and final test.

1690385602994.png

As far as I can make out the players shaded green are pretty certain to play.
There's some uncertainty over Starc (shoulder) and so Neser is a possibility to play.
It looks like Murphy will be in for Green but there's an injury concern over Marsh so Green might get a reprieve.

Test starts tonight (Thursday 27th) so get your teams in!