Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest, I have never been a fan of his as a forward, but over the last 2 years I have been wrapped in his transformation to a small defender.

I will always remember a game he played early on in his career against Footscray where he kept Nathan Brown to no goals when he was in the middle of a purplepatch for the Dogs.

I too like the look of him as a defender, with the added bow that he can pinch hit up forward:thumbsu:

NIRS did an interview with ash after the game on sat night. they asked him about his switch from forward to back to which ash said he wasn't getting much of it up forward so he was put down back. he doesn't mind playing down back and said his drive isn't anything special. playing down back is easy, you can only go one way, forward so thats what he does.

Every now and then, maybe once or twice a game ash gets pinged for holding the ball, but they are worth it for the spark he gives us. he is boarder line reckless running the ball out of defense, but that is exactly what we need to get the players moving to play this brand of footy voss wants.

NIRS did an interview with ash after the game on sat night. they asked him about his switch from forward to back to which ash said he wasn't getting much of it up forward so he was put down back. he doesn't mind playing down back and said his drive isn't anything special. playing down back is easy, you can only go one way, forward so thats what he does.

Every now and then, maybe once or twice a game ash gets pinged for holding the ball, but they are worth it for the spark he gives us. he is boarder line reckless running the ball out of defense, but that is exactly what we need to get the players moving to play this brand of footy voss wants.

IMHO, McGrath's run of the backline is absolutely critical to our game plan. There is nothing that terrifies defenders more than the ball moving into their area at speed, and that's what Ashley does. Zones just don't cope with this strategy.

So what if he gets pinged from time to time- that goes with the run and line breaking. I'll guarantee the coaching staff will be right behind him whatever. If we can get Drummond to do likewise as per a few years ago, so much the better

When you see a defender dodging players like ash did on the weekend with such ease it must put a dent in the other teams confidence working it into the foward line to have one player undo a whole teams effort.
Drummond long accurate kick, can be used up the ground
Merrett - takes the biggest full foward. fast and best at spoiling
Patful - Rarely beaten by an opponent and can also be used up the ground
Ash- runs through the defence with little effort.

Those 4 alone are the type of players any team needs in their backline.

From Ooh Aah Ash McGrath - see full column at lions.com.au
http://www.lions.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5085/newsid/74987/default.aspx

I think we have the players to go a long way this year. What is your opinion on the self belief within the playing group?
Dean from Northcote (VIC)

Self belief is a pretty important part of the team’s performance and the boys are pretty confident at the moment and have a lot of belief in the new game-plan.

Like Vossy has said, it is a new chapter for us and we can now try and make our own history together as a group.

We believe we can make Finals this year. It has been five years since we have played Finals and all the boys are very hungry to get back there.

Hey Ash, I have a seat near the fence and have noticed that when a player walks off the field, the crowd often makes comments both positively and negatively. Do the players notice what is said during this time? Also, do you hear what is said while lining up for a shot at goal?
Bob from Logan (QLD)

When you are walking along the boundary line you always cop a fair bit. We certainly hear what is dished out but we aren’t really allowed to turn around and say anything back.

I just take a drink of my water and give a bit of a smile because some of the things they say are actually pretty funny.

The Collingwood supporters are probably the best ones for giving it out so it should be entertaining this Friday night.

As for having a shot at goal, we are normally too far away to hear anything that is said.

could his turnovers been any worse last Friday night ?

trying to kick 80m to players he was never going to reach

then taking on players in the middle of the ground and getting caught on a few occasions.....

needs to play things much more simple

reckon he thinks he's a few lengths better than what he actually is old Ashley

others thoughts ?

could his turnovers been any worse last Friday night ?

trying to kick 80m to players he was never going to reach

then taking on players in the middle of the ground and getting caught on a few occasions.....

needs to play things much more simple

reckon he thinks he's a few lengths better than what he actually is old Ashley

others thoughts ?

Don't think I've seen one player turn the ball over so much in a one game. There were about four in the first quarter! It's a big problem being so loose in defence.

Probably his worst game for the Lions. He should have benched more, especially in the first quarter.

really was an off game for ash. he has been pretty good at both running and kicking the ball out for us in recent weeks, but he was terrible. The annoying part is it happened when we were playing well. Thats what hurts more. Everyone was doing it in the 4th qtr, he could have done it then, wouldn't have made a difference

Don't think I've seen one player turn the ball over so much in a one game. There were about four in the first quarter! It's a big problem being so loose in defence.

Probably his worst game for the Lions. He should have benched more, especially in the first quarter.

My count was 4 kicks directly to the opposition and 2 OOB on the full in the 1st Qu alone- in other words, 6 kicks directly to the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imo Ash has become a real worry with the ball in his hands. His turnovers are very costly and almost inevitably result in goals to the opposition...one in particular yesterday. Not sure if he is up to it anymore.

He was attrocious in that first quarter on Saturday and I honestly believe he was the difference between the two teams with the way he was giving it away!

Apparently he has been given the "shape up or ship out" from Vossy this week and about time. He really needs to get his act together.

What would his value be worth for a trade? Early second round pick or late first round?
He has no worth in a trade if he isn't considered a certainty for our best 22.

I thought he wasn't too bad on Saturday. We're a bit stodgy in defence without his speed off the mark.

He has no worth in a trade if he isn't considered a certainty for our best 22.

I thought he wasn't too bad on Saturday. We're a bit stodgy in defence without his speed off the mark.

This is why we thank the gods he's from WA.

154943_1_O.jpg

Harvs will help us out. :thumbsu:

This is why we thank the gods he's from WA.

154943_1_O.jpg

Harvs will help us out. :thumbsu:

What makes you think Harvey would trade for McGrath? In Harvey's time as senior coach, there have been no trades at Fremantle and he is now at the beginning of a very strong youth policy. A 27 year old is not going to fit his plans.

Don't fret - that was said with tongue in cheek.

McGrath is 25 going on 26...he seems to suffer from the same condition inflicted on Travis Johnstone where he ages at a faster rate compared to everyone else.

But let's not clog up roster watch threads with these side chats.

Don't fret - that was said with tongue in cheek.

McGrath is 25 going on 26...he seems to suffer from the same condition inflicted on Travis Johnstone where he ages at a faster rate compared to everyone else.

But let's not clog up roster watch threads with these side chats.

26 today means he will be 27 for the majority of 2010. Not particularly relevant anyway, he's had his chances to come home and they are now all gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back