Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Inside Football article on McGrath (includes quotes from interview)

McGrath traces his form rise back to the Lions’ Round 5 clash with eventual premier Geelong. Hammered by 93 points at Skilled Stadium, the day will be long etched in his mind.
“It was probably the worst game of my career,” he said. “I didn’t get near the ball … I was more like a spectator.
“Not only did I not get involved in the game but I let my players run off me and kick easy goals. It was a hard lesson to learn and Vossy picked my game apart and gave me some hard truths."

Got clarification from Grim that I was allowed to post this..

You can remove Ash from your selected round 1 teams, I was out last night playing netball (mixed with mates so dont laugh lol) and my mate asked me if that was Mcgrath, I turned around and turned out it was, he was out there with his missus cause she plays.

Thought to myself may as well go have a chat, asked if he was playing on Sunday and he said no he's done his knee and he isn't looking at returning till Round 2, not sure whether that will be through the seniors or whether he'll get a reserve match first!

I also asked where he thought he'd be playing this year and all I got was 'haven't really spoke about it yet, giving the young guys a go first and see where they're at'

Then I said let's hope the Lions win it this year aye and he said 'yeah we should, it'd be good if we can'. So it's nice to see they're quietly confident.

Thought i would let you guys know but check if I could first, but thats a massive loss for us Round 1 with the form he showed last year, I really hope he is there for the Carlton game!!

EDIT: just spoke to a guy at work he said that could just mean Round 2 of NAB Cup, but I am not sure maybe someone else could shed some light?

2010 Player Questionnaire

mcgrath.jpg

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Hi Ash, I saw you in KFC the other day. Was just wondering how strict you guys have to be with your diet and what are your skinfolds are at the moment?
Billy from Hawthorne (QLD)

I think this question might be from Troy Selwood.

My skinfolds are fine at the moment. In fact, I have a ripping six pack.

:D

Judging by his game in round 1 he looks to be continuing on from where he left off in 2009. :thumbsu:

McGrath got reported for 'unsavoury conduct' which looked like an eye gouge to Cameron Cloke. The commentators then said he had made a counter claim of 'unsavoury conduct'.

I don't think it was an eye gouge, didn't look like he applied any pressure but more just mashed his hand against Cloke's face. Don't think it'll make a difference though it's going to take a lot for him not to miss next week, and we're going to need him.

Don't think it'll make a difference though it's going to take a lot for him not to miss next week, and we're going to need him.

Can't stress that enough. Horrible timing when we play the short people + Bazza next week. Really need Ash, especially with Adcock down as well.

We already struggle containing players like Aker, Johnson, Hill etc.

God knows what will actually happen, and I don't know the intricacies of how the point system works or how many points McGrath currently has carried over, but I think he will get at least 1 match unfortunately (and possibly 2).

Ash got 70 carryover points when he charged Brendon Goddard in the NAB Cup last year but they will have expired now.

That is the only blemish on his record and unfortunately means he doesn't get the 5 year good behavior reduction.

The major difference from Judd was that Ash was on the ground when it happened, whereas Judd purposely walked over to Risca to make the contact.

Ash's incident was more similar to Judd's gouge on Campbell Brown a few years ago... he got off, but the rules have changed now.

2 weeks I am guessing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Lions facing up to Ashley McGrath facts

• Bruce Matthews
  • April 12, 2010 12:00AM
THE Brisbane Lions will today decide whether to make a counter claim after Ashley McGrath's booking for rough conduct against Port Adelaide on Saturday. It's expected a field umpire from the game will lodge an incident referral notice with the AFL regarding the third-quarter incident.

McGrath was heard on the umpire's microphone calling the report "ridiculous" and asking the umpire "did you see what he did to me?" Footage shows an agitated McGrath grappling with Cloke on the ground, with his hands on his opponent's face and dangerously close to the eyes.

mcgrath.jpg

Match Review Panel: Round 3

The incident was assessed as reckless conduct (two points), low impact (one point) and high contact (two points). This is a total of five activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level Two offence, drawing 225 demerit points and a two-match sanction. He has no existing good or bad record. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 168.75 points and a one-match sanction.

Link

The cleared Cloke after scrutinising videotape of the lead-up to the incident. McGrath had alleged to a field umpire that the Power recruit had made similar contact to his face.

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Hey Ash, what were you getting at with the ‘W’ symbol you flashed at the camera from the crowd during last Saturday night’s game?

It is from the Western Front football show over in Perth. You see heaps of people doing it during games over at Subiaco because the show gives out prizes to people they see giving the ‘W’ to the cameras.

Some of my mates said I should try and do it when I had the chance. I tried it on Saturday night when the cameras were spotting Blacky in the crowd and actually ended up winning this week’s prize pack.

It’s something most West Australian people would know pretty well.

Ooh Aah Ash McGrath

Hi Ash, I have noticed recently that you put your finger on your upper lip like a moustache when the Lions sing the club song after a win. Why do you do that?
Jack from Sunbury (VIC)

I actually have a tattoo of a moustache on the side of my finger - although it probably needs a bit of a touch-up at the moment.

It’s just a sign I do for my brothers who are usually watching the game on TV back home in Perth.

My summary of McGrath's season:

1. Had it
2. Suspension
3. Lost it

When he was moved forward it seemed to spark a bit of life back into him, but I think we are badly missing his run from the back half.

My summary of McGrath's season:

1. Had it
2. Suspension
3. Lost it

When he was moved forward it seemed to spark a bit of life back into him, but I think we are badly missing his run from the back half.

The first passage of play we had, that lead to Banfields 1st goal, was set up by a beautiful bit of McGrath run and an absolute bullet pass into the forward line. Need to see a lot more of it.

McGrath, as part of a fully fit and firing defensive structure, is a great attacking. But, with the likes of Adcock, Merrett, Maguire, Raines all missing at various points, McGrath lacks the freedom and confidence to take off.

Last Sat night was the last game where we could least expect run out of the back half. With our defence so undermanned, it was psychologically nigh on impossible for any of our defenders to leave the defensive unit. We simply didn't have the height, size and quality to cover for someone like McGrath playing with any more freedom. You could see it when the ball was bombed into the Freo forward 50 how focused the defenders were on trying to cover for size deficiencies by getting numbers to the drop of the ball and shutting things down - not a single defender looked to zone off to receive the ball and run. When your mindset is that defensively focused (almost siege like), then you really aren't going to be in a position to attack.

Link

The club is sweating on scans of Ashley McGrath's elbow after the experienced campaigner hyper-extended the joint in the loss to Geelong.

McGrath still a chance to play
9:26 PM Tue 18 May, 2010

McGrath hyperextended his elbow during the third quarter of last Saturday night's match against Geelong and didn't return to the field, but scans received today revealed there was no fracture.

The premiership player who turns 27 this Thursday will train this week to prove his fitness.

mcgrath.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Retired Ashley McGrath (2000-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back