WikiLeaks Assange

Remove this Banner Ad

Legit crying right now. I'm so happy for him and his family, it was a long ordeal and now it's over.

I was never in the 'Assange did nothing wrong' crowd nor do I think he has no responsibility for the mess he was in, but it had gone on long enough.

Legit crying right now. I'm so happy for him and his family, it was a long ordeal and now it's over.

I was never in the 'Assange did nothing wrong' crowd nor do I think he has no responsibility for the mess he was in, but it had gone on long enough.

The release of evidence of criminal activity by the US military/government should never have been something the British or Australian governments gave 2 shits about. Whistleblower laws are absolutely disgraceful in all 3 countries.

The rape accusations are the ones which should have been the focus.

Great news but I hope they stick to the plea deal reported.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, just reading that the deal steal has to be approved by an American Federal Court judge, I have visions of them snatching him before he gets to the court and flying him back to mainland America.

If not, this is great news.

Because he exposed war crimes and corruption …
David McBride exposed Australian War Crimes and our Govt has tossed him in jail. We can hardly take aim at the US or UK systems. We're just as guilty. It's disgusting that we send people to war and only imprison people who expose war crimes.

If you're going to be the world police, you have to police yourself as well, or you're just hypocrites. Dreyfus is a disgrace, the ALP should not get any credit for any of this while also pursuing McBride the way they are.

David McBride exposed Australian War Crimes and our Govt has tossed him in jail. We can hardly take aim at the US or UK systems. We're just as guilty. It's disgusting that we send people to war and only imprison people who expose war crimes.

If you're going to be the world police, you have to police yourself as well, or you're just hypocrites. Dreyfus is a disgrace, the ALP should not get any credit for any of this while also pursuing McBride the way they are.

100%agree

McBride and 'our' Julian have things in common.
One is out,one is in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm still 100% confused by this guy.

Everything I've ever heard about the guy makes him look like the bad guy.

The only reason i see we should care about him is he is from here. Yet our own Govt is celebrating his return ?
It became a railroading of justice.

The main argument against him is that "Well, we were committing war crimes in our world police role, but we should have kept them hidden"

Since everyone had seen the truth, it was a bit like if the Wizard of Oz, after having seen behind the curtain, tried to still tell us Toto was the evil one for pulling back the curtain.

There was a guy from ANU yesterday still arguing that showing everyone the truth was the wrong thing to do because it helps our enemies.

How about, if we want to be world police, we police ourselves as well, that means full honesty and transparency. If you can't do that, don't go invading countries for regime change.

The rape accusations were a focus,came to nought.

I dont think they ever were. I think they were the side distraction to the US wanting him to execute him for being a traitor - despite the fact that he isnt even American.

And our Govt and the British Govt refusing to protect someone from a 3rd party Govt who were only interested in punishing him because they were hugely embarrassed at being caught out lying.

You can wish for him and his family that he was no longer in custody without backing everything (or even the majority) of what he says and does.

Why does everyone follow the media narrative of picking a team once on one issue means you've picked it for life.

The tweet quoted literally says "I'm glad Assange is free".

But the fact is there's a lot of people lionising him the past 24 hours and the man simply doesn't deserve that.

The main argument against him is that "Well, we were committing war crimes in our world police role, but we should have kept them hidden"

lol that is most definitely not the 'main argument against him'.

Here's Michaelia Cash (and James Patterson said practically the same thing).

"Let us be very clear. I do not condone what Julian Assange did. He is not a hero. He is not a journalist. He is not a whistleblower. He is someone who, by his very actions, put the lives of Australians in danger," she said.

"Quite frankly, to see elements of the press for him as a hero, as a journalist, as a whistleblower, I find incredibly disappointing because his conduct, as I say it, put Australian lives in danger and as far as I'm concerned, that is unacceptable."

You simply cannot send people to war to punish other countries for misdeeds and then complain when your own misdeeds are published. You've waived that right to secrecy in that instance.

It's very different if it's about national defence. But war crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan were never about protecting Australia.

Since everyone had seen the truth, it was a bit like if the Wizard of Oz, after having seen behind the curtain, tried to still tell us Toto was the evil one for pulling back the curtain.

There was a guy from ANU yesterday still arguing that showing everyone the truth was the wrong thing to do because it helps our enemies.

How about, if we want to be world police, we police ourselves as well, that means full honesty and transparency. If you can't do that, don't go invading countries for regime change.
I can't argue that our whistle blower laws are crap and that he didn't share what was objectively true.

I just don't get the feeling he is worthy of the fanfare.

Sure, it went on too long, but hiding in an embassy didn't help that either.

I mean that's certainly one reason why it's bad for the US interests (which are also ours)

I can't argue that our whistle blower laws are crap and that he didn't share what was objectively true.

I just don't get the feeling he is worthy of the fanfare.

Sure, it went on too long, but hiding in an embassy didn't help that either.
The US were openly advocating for his trial, torture and capital punishment. You can't blame him for hiding from those valid legal threats.

That's why there's relief/fanfare. Because he's come back from staring down Guantanamo Bay and capital punishment at the hands of the US (who were doing it mostly to cover up their war crimes).

The US Govt are the bad guy every day of the week in this story.

I agree Assange doesn't seem to be a great fella, but he was David in the David and Goliath Story. Don't forget David went on to commit ethnic cleansing on a massive scale.

Remove this Banner Ad

WikiLeaks Assange

Remove this Banner Ad

Back