Assistant coach announced

Remove this Banner Ad

roowatch

Team Captain
Jul 13, 2001
Fitzroy
Reported on 7 news tonight that Robert Pyman has been appointed as assistant coach.
I know he had a role at Collingwood but not exactly sure what it was.

Thoughts on the appointment Roos?

Pyman is not a bad choice, he has an excellant footy brain, could provide excellant support to JYD. l am not too sure on his communication skills, he seems to be a little introverted, but you would have to know the guy personally to know if that was actually the case.

He is young, has had exposure to other teams, if they get Peter Jonas as well, then it certainly makes for an interesting coaching team. One which opposition teams most likely wouldnt have a clue about.

Expect the unexpected could be our weapon for 2003.

Wrath

Robert Pyman played for us for a coupla seasons in the mid 90's Tashi. Had a VERY unspectacular career. From memory he also played some games at melbourne after us and possibly Collingwood.

He has spent the last couple of years as an assistant coach at Collingwood under Malthouse.

I thougt he was a heartless monkey when he played for us, but am more than happy to trust Laidley's jusdgment on this one. He has obviously worked very closely with him and would know alot more about his character and knowledge than any of us.

Welcome back Robert.

Didn't he design the pies website?
Why would we appoint a web page designer as an assistant coach?

The Official AFL North Site has a story announcing Pyman and Anthony Allen as assistant coaches.

I know who Pyman is , however Allen is a mystery man.

Apparently Allen was Donald McDonald's assistant at Box Hill and had a good VFA record with Sandringham. (Made the Sandringham Team of the Century according to the story).

Must be at the lower end of the pay scale for AFL assistant coaches but at least we know who they are now.

What does his playing record have to do with his coaching skills? Look at these examples:

Great players who struggled at coaching:

Bartlett
Shimma
Royce Hart
Tony Shaw
Gary Buckenara
Barry Davis

Average Players who made good coaches:

Denis Pagan
John Northey
Tom Hafey
Allen Jeans

Good luck Robert, I hope this leads onto bigger and better things.

Originally posted by Cororoo
I know who Pyman is , however Allen is a mystery man.

Apparently Allen was Donald McDonald's assistant at Box Hill and had a good VFA record with Sandringham. (Made the Sandringham Team of the Century according to the story).

I wonder if Anthony Allen is that very same prick of a personel manager who used to work at the old Deloittes Ross Tohmatsu.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

funny isnt it....we got an assist coach who should still be playing football.

I will say that the pyman was a high draft pick was sort after when he was picked up....yes he was average but he was a player who got long term injuries and never had a chance to develop. From memory he was a bit of a stress fracture canidate followed with some reoccurring muscle job and was topped off by a back or something along those lines.

Maybe schwatta is the skills coach.....I told someone 8 weeks ago he would be great in that department....but the told me that its a draw back being naturally gifted because its harder to teach when it comes 2nd nature.

All shalll be revealed!

Originally posted by Carlos
He has spent the last couple of years as an assistant coach at Collingwood under Malthouse.

He has never coached in any capacity, he was the Pies Media Manager, closest he came to coaching was he held Mick Malthouse's whiteboard until he got removed from that position this year

Odd decision

heres an article in regard to the appointments

pymans career was shortened by being one of the first players to suffer from fractures in the feet, like james hird.

when he was playing these injuries were career ending.

he went on to organize the first serious footy card collectables, you know the ones with gold cards and signature series.

he then went onto player management, but i had forgotten about his role at collingwood.

if im not wrong he did have a playing role at collingwood(please confirm this)

Originally posted by The Rewboy

Get serious now!!

If your too young and immature to know who our past players are, dont embarras yourself b posting THAT rubbish.

For your own sake.

Can't agree with you here, Tashi is young and so naturally she doesn't know the older guys. Besides, its okay to ask questions, right?

I value her opinions highly after the Laidley appointment and other numerous suggestions. I am sure there are other posters who would agree with me.

Originally posted by mighty mick
if im not wrong he did have a playing role at collingwood(please confirm this)

I think Pyman played a handful of games for the Pies.

Ironically enough, we picked Pyman on the basis of his performance in a SANFL Grand Final. It seems that he thrashed his opponent who happened to be........Nathan Buckley.

I also have this vague recollection that Pyman sent letters to all the Victorian AFL clubs saying that he would only play for one of the big 4 and no-one else, but we drafted him anyway.

Originally posted by Shinboners

I also have this vague recollection that Pyman sent letters to all the Victorian AFL clubs saying that he would only play for one of the big 4 and no-one else, but we drafted him anyway.

I also recall this - he was something like the first person to get busted for Draft Tampering.

Does anyone else recall this ?

Yep, I remember the letters and also remember him being disappointed / disgusted he was drafted by the club formerly known as North Melbourne.

If Malcolm Blight is correct in his belief in "footy gods" then surely they played a hand in Pyman's less than glorious career after his letters, perceived at the time as "I'm too good to play for the struggling clubs."

How ironic he is now back at the place he never wanted to be, in a coaching capacity.

A lot of North fans at the time didn't like him because of his superiority complex.

Hopefully his second stint with us will be more positive and rewarding for all concerned.

Originally posted by The Rewboy

Get serious now!!

If your too young and immature to know who our past players are, dont embarras yourself b posting THAT rubbish.

For your own sake.

tashi is one of our most passionate posters and has all rights to have her say.

whos the earliest player you saw play and dont embarass yourself now

the future is now the past is history people like tashi will be bringing future members to the club because of her love of her club.

Originally posted by Roscoe_G_4
Yep, I remember the letters and also remember him being disappointed / disgusted he was drafted by the club formerly known as North Melbourne.

If Malcolm Blight is correct in his belief in "footy gods" then surely they played a hand in Pyman's less than glorious career after his letters, perceived at the time as "I'm too good to play for the struggling clubs."

How ironic he is now back at the place he never wanted to be, in a coaching capacity.

A lot of North fans at the time didn't like him because of his superiority complex.

Hopefully his second stint with us will be more positive and rewarding for all concerned.
Yep he was hopeless. He thought his $hit didn't stink but was quiet embarrassing to watch. Very slow, very lazy, wouldn't chase or tackle, no discipline and now he is our assistant coach. I hope he's changed his attitude. Can't imagine he would hold any respect with players.
He seems to be an unusual choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Assistant coach announced

Remove this Banner Ad

Back