Assistant coach suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think we're all aware that the appointment of Neeld means nothing unless he can get a good team around him. I think he needs a senior assistant, not necessarily an Eade or Craig, but someone who's highly credentialed and experienced. Besides that though we probably need some fresh talent in the ranks as well. Anyone got any suggestions. I'll start:

Leigh Brown - Forwards coach

Probably the least talented player to ever play 200 games. But he's team oriented and apparently a great bloke. Would know Neeld and Collingwood's structure well. Already doing some coaching with a TAC team. Could come in and work well with our big forwards to teach them how to have physical presence. Stef Martin is taller, faster and jumps hire than him yet Brown is probably equally effective, can he convey how he does that.

Brady Rawlings - Deputy midfield coach

Again another player who got the best out of himself. I'm not sure if he wants to coach like his brother but I'm if he did he'd probably teach some of our mids about work rate and accountability.

What about just luring assistant coaches across from other clubs? Laidley, etc would be a good start.

Even if they haven't had senior coaching experience.

Mark Neeld said:
"I demand to be surrounded by a solid group of coaches who are successful in their own right,"

"As to the individual make-up of that, we'll sit down as a group and make sure that the appropriate people are appointed and that they're in the correct roles."
It's been too long since people at Melbourne demanded the best.

I think a director of coaching would be good as well although I'm hearing conflicting reports as to whether or not we have one. One moment it's Craig, the next it's not so who knows?

Williams and Mahoney are surely out the door and Scott West may miss out as well (what's he done that's so great?). Just depends on who is out there and who Neeld sees is a viable option as an assistant. Lots of players have just retired but that doesn't mean they will make good assistant coaches. All in good time people.

Keep Scott West. I don't mind the Leigh Brown idea.

Who's the defensive assistant at St Kilda right now? That'd be an interesting one to poach in the current climate.

Finally, we need to look at signing Russian to a player/coach contract on his next one and use him as ruck coach in a more proper role - he's already doing it anyway, but when he hangs up the boots in say 5 years I'd love to keep him around for Max and Stef.

I think a director of coaching would be good as well although I'm hearing conflicting reports as to whether or not we have one. One moment it's Craig, the next it's not so who knows?

Williams and Mahoney are surely out the door and Scott West may miss out as well (what's he done that's so great?). Just depends on who is out there and who Neeld sees is a viable option as an assistant. Lots of players have just retired but that doesn't mean they will make good assistant coaches. All in good time people.

It astounds me how people on here reckon that Mahoney, Williams, Royal, etc. are no good, but that Scott West must be kept.

1. How would any of us know how effective any of the assistants are?

2. If I had to identify one area that needs significant improvement, I'd nominate the midfield.

It astounds me how people on here reckon that Mahoney, Williams, Royal, etc. are no good, but that Scott West must be kept.

1. How would any of us know how effective any of the assistants are?

2. If I had to identify one area that needs significant improvement, I'd nominate the midfield.

Midfield AND the forward line. Our backs are under so much pressure because we don't work hard enough up the field. West hasn't done much at all to improve our midfield IMO. Plus I'm just excited that Mahoney and Williams will go, Neeld demands the best and clearly they are far from it.

Midfield AND the forward line. Our backs are under so much pressure because we don't work hard enough up the field. West hasn't done much at all to improve our midfield IMO. Plus I'm just excited that Mahoney and Williams will go, Neeld demands the best and clearly they are far from it.

This. We don't run the other way anywhere near as hard as other sides. We are unaccountable. We have the best finger-pointers in the league.

This will change under Mr Neeld.

Kirk, while he'd be inspiring, doesn't come off as a guy who wants to fully commit his life to football in terms of being a coach, maybe I'm wrong but comes off too laid back.

Brown & Rawlings, left field suggestions & nice to hear different options. But Rwlings was always a negator & Brown not the smartest footballer, so no thanks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kirk, while he'd be inspiring, doesn't come off as a guy who wants to fully commit his life to football in terms of being a coach, maybe I'm wrong but comes off too laid back.

Brown & Rawlings, left field suggestions & nice to hear different options. But Rwlings was always a negator & Brown not the smartest footballer, so no thanks.
Absoloutely ridicolous IMO to be trying to nominate assistant coaches

You guys say from watching Leigh Brown and Brett Kirk that they would make good coaches, even Brady Rawlings by the OP under the guise that he 'got the best out of himself'

Well if Scott Wests 8 BnF's doesnt mean he got the best out of himself, he may well be the 'almost' greatest footballer of all time.

You cant judge the midfield coach because we barely have a midfield
Moloney less than 150 Games is our Most experienced
Sylvia less than 150
Jonesy less than 110

Then- Mckenzie, Trengove, Gysberts, Grimes, Tapscott, Jetta, Bail all around or under 50 games, what do you expect? A brisbane premiership midfield.

Crap.

IF Mark Neeld decides Westys not doing the job, then so be it... But not one of us here would even have the 'slightest' clue what assistants are good/bad or otherwise.

Mahoney may be an allright coach, but having him as the Forward coach is ludicrous, you tell me what he can teach Jack Watts about being a power forward.

Cant wait for the new panel to be put in place though looks like this bloke knows what he wants and knows how to get it.

Barry Mitchell is coming back from Freo with his family to live in Melbourne and could well be on the radar from us due to his long friendship with Todd Viney.
Could add to the midfield coaching department

Hopefully Mark Neeld wrote into his contract that he chooses his assistants etc. and he has some autonomy. If MFC admin starts telling him how to coach and run the the team he will be held back before he even gets started.

Absoloutely ridicolous IMO to be trying to nominate assistant coaches

Mahoney may be an allright coach, but having him as the Forward coach is ludicrous, you tell me what he can teach Jack Watts about being a power forward.
Yes it's ridiculous, but so is trying to nominate senior coaches and we did that since the day after Bailey got the chop. The whole idea of bigfooty is ridiculous.

Mahoney can be a good forward coach. But I agree we probably need at least part time assistants for game specific roles - ie. Ruckman for ruck coach, key forward to teach the key forwards.

I certainly don't want 'old friendships' deciding who becomes our assistant coaches a la Brian Royal. I know we were left in a pickle there because Wellman was poached at short notice, but it seemed that Royal got the gig because people knew him from his previous stint here. That's not the sort of professionalism we should be showing.

Yes it's ridiculous, but so is trying to nominate senior coaches and we did that since the day after Bailey got the chop. The whole idea of bigfooty is ridiculous.

Mahoney can be a good forward coach. But I agree we probably need at least part time assistants for game specific roles - ie. Ruckman for ruck coach, key forward to teach the key forwards.

That is true ill give ya that

It just seems amatuerish to me that Josh Mahoney is teaching Jack watts how to crash packs and demand the footy?

Bryan Royal teaching chip how to beat the best FF one on one whilst running off him aswell

Also like to add im pretty sure Robbie Campbell is a part time Ruck coach.

Scott West may miss out as well (what's he done that's so great?)

He hasn't done much no. But i do know that in one of the games this year where we were absolutely shizen housen and the forward line was again being inept, he turned to Josh Mahoney and said "are you going to do something? Or are you going to just sit their and f@#$&ng do nothing like you always do!"

I've kind of liked him after i got told this, lol.

Ditch Mahoney, Williams and Royal. Make Viney the midfield coach and give West the wanky role of "ball movement coach" that Williams had.

So much hate for Mahoney on here, has anyone actually thought about it???

Dont we have one of if not the best scoring conversion from I50 within the competition?? how does this translate to him being a bad coach, im not saying he is necessarily amazing but seems to be doing his bit

It is the I50's which are the problem and our contested possession ect and lack there of both, we average one of the lowest I50's within the competition, this is a big problem

Once the Ball goes inside the 50 we seem to function quite well, especially considering our lack of talls

I think because Mahoney was a Bailey tag along, he's damned to ba tarred with the same brush.

While you make a good point about our effectiveness once we're inside 50, can you with all honesty say you like & are happy with our forward line structure? The coaches are more in control of that than the actual goals. Pretty sure that most supporters think our forward structure is next to non-existent & our forward plan is pretty average, that would be Mahoney's responsibility.

Only Viney is safe, and whether we agree or not I think 3 or 4 will go, maybe West will survive because he's only been full time for 1 year.

Get rid of the lot of them (except Viney). We need to usher in a new era and cleanse ourselves of the previous era. It will set a new climate and allow us to establish a new guard at the club. I don't especially care how good any of our assistants are - I'd rather have new ones because I'm sure as heck that the players are tired of the old ones. Viney is an exception as he has only recently arrived and it respected at the club - plus we want to nab Jack Viney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Assistant coach suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back