Assistant coach suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why i dont like the idea of picking assistants, so what your saying eskimo is Bailey was a good coach, it was all the assistants who were rubbish?

Why would Viney be a better midfield coach than Scott West, because he was a melbourne player? Because he coached 5 games for 1 shakey win against GC and 4 losses including Richmond and Port

THE MIDFIELD COACH DOESNT HAVE THE ****ING CATTLE TO WORK WITH, GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS!

Jamars ruckwork is one dimensional, if its not going straight down Moloneys throat its not going anywhere and same the other way, Moloney doesnt rove opposition taps an he struggled when Jamar was out
And our other 2 experienced mids didnt play solely in the middle, Sylvia went forward and Jonesy went onto the wing and HBF.

You cant expect a bunch of Under 50 game players to win the clearance count, just rubbish.

Clarify to me why Tom Harley would make a great defensive coach, his commentary is rubbish, he says the absoloute obvious over and over and gets things wrong often.

Why wouldnt any other guy whos played AFL as a backmen be a good coach? Its just stupid to me to try an pick coaches. None of us no what they do behind the scenes.

You miss the point entirely NG.

Eskimo is spot on with our midfield being deplorable. If you had any idea about football you would know that the assistants play a huge part in what happens within the club. The suggesting of Viney is simple - the bloke has coached midfields before and if I remember correctly he was the midfield coach at Hawthorn when they won the flag. Don't go slagging him off to suit your thoughts, it's wrong.

The midfield may not have the cattle but they need a coach to COACH them. Jamar went to Moloney a lot because that is what they are COACHED to do. We may lack experience in the guts but clearly our midfield didn't run hard enough or man up enough to do the job, and that comes back to the game plan. Bailey is the figure head but you only need to look at Neeld to see the importance of a good assistant coach. IMO West is clearly not doing his job well enough, cattle or not. What we lack in experience was also lacked in effort on far too many occasions and that sits a lot with the midfield coach.

You then say that Harley would make a bad assistant because of his commentary. How in the world does that factor in to anything? Simple answer - it doesn't. I'm not saying he would make a good assistant but your reasoning is poor. According to you we don't know what happens behind the scenes so how can you judge Harley on what he is capable of based on some special comments?

You miss the point entirely NG.

Eskimo is spot on with our midfield being deplorable. If you had any idea about football you would know that the assistants play a huge part in what happens within the club. The suggesting of Viney is simple - the bloke has coached midfields before and if I remember correctly he was the midfield coach at Hawthorn when they won the flag. Don't go slagging him off to suit your thoughts, it's wrong.

The midfield may not have the cattle but they need a coach to COACH them. Jamar went to Moloney a lot because that is what they are COACHED to do. We may lack experience in the guts but clearly our midfield didn't run hard enough or man up enough to do the job, and that comes back to the game plan. Bailey is the figure head but you only need to look at Neeld to see the importance of a good assistant coach. IMO West is clearly not doing his job well enough, cattle or not. What we lack in experience was also lacked in effort on far too many occasions and that sits a lot with the midfield coach.

You then say that Harley would make a bad assistant because of his commentary.

You show me in here where i said he would be a bad coach, i said theres nothing that proves he would be a good coach.

Clarify to me why Tom Harley would make a great defensive coach, his commentary is rubbish, he says the absoloute obvious over and over and gets things wrong often.

Why wouldnt any other guy whos played AFL as a backmen be a good coach? Its just stupid to me to try an pick coaches. None of us no what they do behind the scenes.

So you know for a fact that Jamar goes to Moloney because Scott West tells him to. Crap

He goes to Moloney because he doesnt have faith yet in the rest of our midfield, West may or may not be doing a good job, there is no possible way in hell that we could no. WE had a bad year so automatically that makes our coaches bad. Facts are the assistants tell there groups what to do based on what the coach outlines, so if they are asked to coach rubbish, then thats what the coach.

You say we lacked in effort, some of that falls on the coaches, but most of that has to be shouldered by the playing group. They get off far too lightly in all of this.

Don't go slagging him off to suit your thoughts, it's wrong.

Again, i didnt slag Viney, i said how could anyone here possibly know he is a better midfield coach than Scott West. So everyone at a premiership club is a good coach and everyone at a bottom club is a bad coach?

Our Midfield group was about as experienced as GC's midfield group, so they have a bad coach then do they?

Rischetelli, Ablett, Harris, Stanley, Swallow
Moloney, Sylvia, Jones, Trengove, Mckenzie...

Thats where we are at right now. Until all of our kids have hardened bodies and 80-100 games under their belt. Our midfield will get exposed.

I dont think Josh Mahoney is the right man for the job, but who in the hell could coach a forward line when half of the numbers roll back behind the ball and your given a bunch of kids and Brad Green to Work with when at times you have 2 blokes in our 50 and they get balls bombed to them by Jones and Moloney.

NG didn't say Harley would make a bad assistant. NG asked eskimo why HE though Harley would make a good assistant and then listed some of his faults.

You show me in here where i said he would be a bad coach, i said theres nothing that proves he would be a good coach.

So you know for a fact that Jamar goes to Moloney because Scott West tells him to. Crap

He goes to Moloney because he doesnt have faith yet in the rest of our midfield
, West may or may not be doing a good job, there is no possible way in hell that we could no. WE had a bad year so automatically that makes our coaches bad. Facts are the assistants tell there groups what to do based on what the coach outlines, so if they are asked to coach rubbish, then thats what the coach.

You say we lacked in effort, some of that falls on the coaches, but most of that has to be shouldered by the playing group. They get off far too lightly in all of this.

Again, i didnt slag Viney, i said how could anyone here possibly know he is a better midfield coach than Scott West. So everyone at a premiership club is a good coach and everyone at a bottom club is a bad coach?

Our Midfield group was about as experienced as GC's midfield group, so they have a bad coach then do they?

Rischetelli, Ablett, Harris, Stanley, Swallow
Moloney, Sylvia, Jones, Trengove, Mckenzie...

Thats where we are at right now. Until all of our kids have hardened bodies and 80-100 games under their belt. Our midfield will get exposed.

I dont think Josh Mahoney is the right man for the job, but who in the hell could coach a forward line when half of the numbers roll back behind the ball and your given a bunch of kids and Brad Green to Work with when at times you have 2 blokes in our 50 and they get balls bombed to them by Jones and Moloney.

Read what I bolded. You tell me my thoughts are "crap" because there is no way we could know what is going on, then you proceed to tell me exactly why Jamar does it. Ridiculous.

We've had 3 bad years and one, let's call it 'improvement', year. That's not flash by any standards. You only need to look in the continual, consistent improvement in other teams to see the difference. Our coaches, as a whole, aren't taking us forward. That's obvious.

Viney has more than enough runs on the board as a midfield coach. Obviously everyone at a premiership club has good coaches, they don't reach those heights without them. Would any other club want our coaches now? Of course not. Viney has proven he can do the job where as West has not. Work it out.

Read what I bolded. You tell me my thoughts are "crap" because there is no way we could know what is going on, then you proceed to tell me exactly why Jamar does it. Ridiculous.

We've had 3 bad years and one, let's call it 'improvement', year. That's not flash by any standards. You only need to look in the continual, consistent improvement in other teams to see the difference. Our coaches, as a whole, aren't taking us forward. That's obvious.

Viney has more than enough runs on the board as a midfield coach. Obviously everyone at a premiership club has good coaches, they don't reach those heights without them. Would any other club want our coaches now? Of course not. Viney has proven he can do the job where as West has not. Work it out.

Exactly, now you see my point. How could any of us have any idea what is going on behind the scenes. I actually agree that our coaching panel has so far underwhelmed, but how can any of us sit here and nominate potential replacements.

Yeah he did a great job at Hawthorn and Adelaides midfield is a mess? Again, impossible to judge on the outside whether or not some one is a good assistant coach or not. Viney also had the cattle to work with at Hawthorn, West does not.. FACT . No matter how hard you try, you cant make Pearls over night.

Im not defending our coaches, im saying you cant sit here and nominate a replacement. Your working on the mantra, oh well the team was crap so every coach there must be crap except Viney cause he is a legend of the MFC.

Looking at left field how about stewie Lowe as forward coach or Nathan Burke as ball movement
Would love to see yze get a role and has expressed interest in helping where he can.

Oh dear. You want to try and get a current St Kilda director, a man who's about to start interviewing candidates for the Saints' top job, to come and be our ball movement coach??? Good to see the silly season is in full swing.

Oh dear. You want to try and get a current St Kilda director, a man who's about to start interviewing candidates for the Saints' top job, to come and be our ball movement coach??? Good to see the silly season is in full swing.

Wasn't aware of this. Was just left field suggestions. I don't know the other teams assistants/ admin that well. Tbh I don't really care.

Viney definitely staying, but doesn't mention any other assistants. Hopefully the rest are gawwwwn!

NEW Melbourne coach Mark Neeld has guaranteed a place on his team for caretaker Todd Viney.
Neeld was at the Demons' headquarters at AAMI Park to start work in his role as the AFL's latest senior coach.

"Todd did a great job in his role as interim coach. Yes, he will certainly be a big part of Melbourne moving forward," Neeld said on Channel 7.

"I've spoken to him a couple of times and he's a very passionate Melbourne person. He's fantastic at his job and has a lot to offer."

----

Other than confirming Viney has a role, Neeld would not be drawn on his preferred back-up in the coaching box for next season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-to-stick-around/story-e6frf9jf-1226140401329

If we could lure Sanderson across from Geelong, it would be incredible. Unlikely though.

Will not happen. Sanderson will do 1 of 3 things next year and Melbourne is not one of the options. He will A) stay where he is, B) be a senior coach or C) join his best mate Bucks at the pies, which is seeming quite likely seeing as Neeld is gone, Bucks moves into the main job & they could lose Watters soon too, that'll be 3 assistants they need to replace.

Exactly, now you see my point. How could any of us have any idea what is going on behind the scenes. I actually agree that our coaching panel has so far underwhelmed, but how can any of us sit here and nominate potential replacements.

Not joining your debate about specifics, but with the above bolded, have you commented on who should be the senior coach? or who should be captain? Or 100s of other things a week that for the most part none of us really have enough insight to comment on properly

This is a FORUM, where we discuss our opinions, rightly or wrongly, based on fact or fiction, commonly things we have no where near enough information to make reasonable opinions about, but we do anyway.

This not a personal attack & I think you're a good poster, but why is it this thread & topic in particular that makes you tell everyone off for having an opinion on something they don't have adequate knowledge on of all the ridiculousness there is on BF?

I agree that trying to come up with a coaching panel on BigFooty is utterly foolish and impossible. We have no idea what goes on in the inner sanctum.
Mindless speculation is mindless.

Mindless speculation is Big Footy

Will not happen. Sanderson will do 1 of 3 things next year and Melbourne is not one of the options. He will A) stay where he is, B) be a senior coach or C) join his best mate Bucks at the pies, which is seeming quite likely seeing as Neeld is gone, Bucks moves into the main job & they could lose Watters soon too, that'll be 3 assistants they need to replace.

Not joining your debate about specifics, but with the above bolded, have you commented on who should be the senior coach? or who should be captain? Or 100s of other things a week that for the most part none of us really have enough insight to comment on properly

This is a FORUM, where we discuss our opinions, rightly or wrongly, based on fact or fiction, commonly things we have no where near enough information to make reasonable opinions about, but we do anyway.

This not a personal attack & I think you're a good poster, but why is it this thread & topic in particular that makes you tell everyone off for having an opinion on something they don't have adequate knowledge on of all the ridiculousness there is on BF?

Mindless speculation is Big Footy

Yes i have, and you are right to an extent. But i just feel as if with the captaincy for an example, you can see what is happening on the field and hear his interviews so you can atleast have a small insight into how the captain works, the senior coach? well you can see how the players respond after qtr half and 3 qtr time breaks as well as make a call on the gameplan and decide whether you like it or not.

With the assistants, we have no idea if they are doing there job or not, they may have been asked to execute a terrible game plan, and they may have done that perfectly, therefor make them great coaches of a shit plan.

Josh Mahoney for example might have been told by Bailey hey coach the forwards so they randomly rotate positions and there is never more than 2 of them in the 50 at once, he might get them to do this perfectly, so therefore he is a great coach, but then because it looks shit and it doesnt work we go 'well he must be a bad coach' i cant explain it any better than that.

My coaching 'dreamteam'..

Defense: Dean Laidley

Mids: Todd Viney

Forwards: Brenton Sanderson

Head Coach: Mark Neeld

Director of Coaching: Neil Craig

.. make it happen Dees :thumbsu:
How big do you think our checkbook is? i reckon your got 3 out of 5 there....demo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My coaching 'dreamteam'..

Defense: Dean Laidley

Mids: Todd Viney

Forwards: Brenton Sanderson

Head Coach: Mark Neeld

Director of Coaching: Neil Craig

.. make it happen Dees :thumbsu:

Sanderson got the senior coaching gig at the Crows.

My semi-realistic wishlist (from):

Neil Craig
Nathan Bassett
Leon Cameron
Barry Mitchell
Nigel Lappin
Blake Caracella

Smoky: Darren Milburn

Seems West's contract ending had a bit to do with him leaving first. Surely Mahoney and Royal will go as well.

That might be West wanting to leave, either to return to the dogs or get an experience for a few years somewhere else before having a crack at a top gig himself in 2-3 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Assistant coach suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back