Prediction Assistant Coaches 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

If there is anyone working at the club that comes on here and listens to the members suggestions and wants . I will say it loud and clear ...Carlton do whatever it takes to get Sam Mitchell to our club ..pay him overs if need be .. it will be a major game changer for our club .

That's poor. How do we know? Some people on here are deadset against him. That's okay but I would hope there would be a some good reasoning or facts behind it
I agree, because how do you judge any of the assistant coaches.........only the players and the other coaches would know whether he is up to it or not. Too many scapegoat seekers on here!!! One assistant is not to blame for the year we have had, and if he is not good enough then why has the club hung onto him for this long???:huh:

I would 100 percent be behind Ratten as Director of Coaching.

He remains the most successful coach of Carlton this century (60 wins, 59 losses) has relationships with the players, knows the club and coach, is the most qualified bloke out there for the job, and we owe him.

Ditto getting Mitchell in as midfield coach.

Probably because he had a once in a generation player at his disposal during his tenure as coach...C Judd.

Had a decent full forward too !

Probably because he had a once in a generation player at his disposal during his tenure as coach...C Judd.

Had a decent full forward too !

So a coach's success is based on the players only. By that logic, coaches don't matter. They do well "Oh it's because that guy had better cattle", they do poorly, "They never had a clue about what they were doing".

If there is anyone working at the club that comes on here and listens to the members suggestions and wants . I will say it loud and clear ...Carlton do whatever it takes to get Sam Mitchell to our club ..pay him overs if need be .. it will be a major game changer for our club .

Do you have any idea how arrogant that sounds?

So a coach's success is based on the players only. By that logic, coaches don't matter. They do well "Oh it's because that guy had better cattle", they do poorly, "They never had a clue about what they were doing".

No. A coaches success isnt ONLY based on the players on the list at the time. But having a player like Chris Judd and Brendon Fevola around certainly helps with the win/loss record I would of thought. Particularly in their prime.

Coaches are an important part of the total equation/strategically, game day wise, there's no doubt about it.

In Ratten's case, it doesn't help that the standing of his side maps completely to the form and fitness of C Judd. That era was always built on individual brilliance over team play, it's part of why he was sacked for Mick 'turned Goldsack into a player' Malthouse, and no amount of revisionism will change this.

No. A coaches success isnt ONLY based on the players on the list at the time. But having a player like Chris Judd and Brendon Fevola around certainly helps with the win/loss record I would of thought. Particularly in their prime.

Coaches are an important part of the total equation/strategically, game day wise, there's no doubt about it.

Is a coach's success due more to their cattle or their coaching ability?

Is a coach's success due more to their cattle or their coaching ability?

Sorry BF...this answers your question.

Sorry BF...this answers your question.

No it doesn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No it doesn't.

Well OK...Maybe this will make it a tad easier for you...

60% cattle with ability

40% coach that has the ability to put together a strategy to beat any given team.

No coach in history has the "ability" to make strawberry jam out of pig Sh*t no matter how good he teaches, speaks, or strategises.
No cattle with ability...equates to zero wins, meaning no matter how good the coach teaches, speaks or communicates strategies, wins just wont eventuate.

Please provide me with a team that has won a premiership or even gone deep into September that had no "cattle" or were a group of ordinary footballers..Just one team in the history of the game.

In 1995- Carlton won a premiership with David Parkin himself admitting that the group were largely self coached. The group happened to have a few dead set champions-G Williams, Craig Bradley, S Silvagni, Kernahan. Without these guys, Carlton would of gone no where.

60% cattle with ability

40% coach that has the ability to put together a strategy to beat any given team.

No coach in history has the "ability" to make strawberry jam out of pig Sh*t no matter how good he teaches, speaks, or strategises.
No cattle with ability...equates to zero wins, meaning no matter how good the coach teaches, speaks or communicates strategies, wins just wont eventuate.

Please provide me with a team that has won a premiership or even gone deep into September that had no "cattle" or were a group of ordinary footballers..Just one team in the history of the game.

In 1995- Carlton won a premiership with David Parkin himself admitting that the group were largely self coached. The group happened to have a few dead set champions-G Williams, Craig Bradley, S Silvagni, Kernahan. Without these guys, Carlton would of gone no where.

Remember Alan Joyce winning a flag with a star lineup, Hawks

Pretty sure Bolton won 5 straight when Clarko was ill

Great sides win games/flags

A coach, generally steers the ship

60% cattle with ability

Why do you want me to provide this? Unless you can magically dig up some post of mine where I implied this...

The point I'm making is that you can't just put the success down to the cattle, which you clarified in your response. But then I wanted to know how much of a factor you think playing group vs coaching contributes to team success. Has nothing to do with finding a shit set of players that won a flag...

I'd even agree that 40% sounds about right in terms of coaching. Let's not forget that while Ratts had Fev, he lost him after 09 and still the team still made finals in 2010 and we knocked off the Cats and Saints. 2011 was another step forward (so close to making a prelim and wouldn't have been without a chance against the Cats and Pies after that had we got through for that matter) and 2012 was looking the goods until that day against the drug cheats ruined some key personnel.

Mick Malthouse had decent cattle when he took charge, imo they were capable of more than they achieved under him.

I just don't think it's fair to make it look like Ratten's success was due mainly to Judd and Fevola especially since Fev was out after 09.

Why do you want me to provide this? Unless you can magically dig up some post of mine where I implied this...

The point I'm making is that you can't just put the success down to the cattle, which you clarified in your response. But then I wanted to know how much of a factor you think playing group vs coaching contributes to team success. Has nothing to do with finding a shit set of players that won a flag...

I'd even agree that 40% sounds about right in terms of coaching. Let's not forget that while Ratts had Fev, he lost him after 09 and still the team still made finals in 2010 and we knocked off the Cats and Saints. 2011 was another step forward (so close to making a prelim and wouldn't have been without a chance against the Cats and Pies after that had we got through for that matter) and 2012 was looking the goods until that day against the drug cheats ruined some key personnel.

Mick Malthouse had decent cattle when he took charge, imo they were capable of more than they achieved under him.

I just don't think it's fair to make it look like Ratten's success was due mainly to Judd and Fevola especially since Fev was out after 09.

Until round 3. Gold Coast has looked like premiers at round 3 a few times over recent seasons. We don't here the fictional hard luck stories about ruined seasons because of Carrazzo though.

Carrots was the most significant one, but Laidler and Yarran were key personnel at the time too iirc.

Yarran and Laidler were already battling with toe and knee injuries from memory. Sorry I'm over the whole drug saga as a reason for our failure. A 5-8 side that hadn't yet realised it.

Yarran and Laidler were already battling with toe and knee injuries from memory. Sorry I'm over the whole drug saga as a reason for our failure. A 5-8 side that hadn't yet realised it.

Fair enough, fwiw, I didn't think we were flag favourites like the media hyped us up to be. I still think Carrots being out was a very big loss though. The guy was on fire and shutting down top notch players while still racking up the pill and was using it better than he ever had.

Fair enough, fwiw, I didn't think we were flag favourites like the media hyped us up to be. I still think Carrots being out was a very big loss though. The guy was on fire and shutting down top notch players while still racking up the pill and was using it better than he ever had.

Carrots was at his peak no doubt, but look at the Hawks, Cats, Swans at the time- we weren't really close. The whole Lonergan tackle thing is like a last desperate swig of kool aid. History, with a Navy lense view for many.

Not sure this has been mentioned elsewhere, but on the carlton show podcast Andy maher says there will assistants who will be going and they have already been told.

Seems logical that there would be some sort of change at the end of the year considering the season we've had. I've said this before but its hard to know what goes on inside the four walls of a footy club, so I have no idea if our assistants are any good or not. But maybe it is time for change up and the best way to get the most out of the playing group is to bring in some fresh faces into the coaching department.

One question I've asked myself a few times this season is how much responsibility for our poor form lies with the coaches versus the players? You take the round 13 loss to Fremantle where we didn't score a goal in the first half. Was that down to the coaches message just not getting through at all or was it due to our list being young and inexperienced and not coming back from the bye adequately prepared for the game. It's genuinely hard to know as an outsider. Maybe it was due to an array of different reasons, as a supporter I can only speculate and guess.

One the challenges the club faces is actually getting to the root cause of why things have gone wrong for us this season and then taking the right steps to correct things. My own guess is that for us to only win two games there must been (at least) a few factors at play and having a close look at the coaching group and how they've gone about things makes sense.

http://aflnation.com.au/2018/09/27/how-eagles-star-yeo-mastered-his-midfield-role/

West Coast assistant coach Sam Mitchell says Elliot Yeo’s positional sense and intent around the stoppages has seen him become one of the premier midfielders in the competition.

“As the season’s progressed his ability to get himself into better positions more often around the ball, they’re subtle things, but that’s the difference between being a 15-20 possession player and a 25-30 possession player.

“Sometimes they’re the things that people say can’t be taught and can’t be learned."
Sign this bloke. Sign him right now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Assistant Coaches 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Back