Racing August Daily Thread - Happy Birthday Nags

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm assuming that Hartnell gets top weight in CC and MC (if he goes there) on the basis of an official rating of 124 (as per Racing Post). Can't see anything in current Cup discussions with a rating near that.

Greg Carpenter may not be dictated by the official rating but surely it's a major consideration. After all, isn't he the guy who spruiks the Aussie horses when the handicappers of the world get together to set the ratings?

Last edited:
I'm assuming that Hartnell gets top weight in CC and MC (if he goes there) on the basis of an official rating of 124 (as per Racing Post). Can't see anything in current Cup discussions with a rating near that.

Greg Carpenter may not be dictated by the official rating but surely it's a major consideration. After all, isn't he the guy who spruiks the Aussie horses when the handicappers of the world get together to set the ratings?

That's his peak rating (I assume from this Tunrbull win). Assume the weight will be determined by his current local rating when weights are set

BHB too sharp for Hartnell over 1400m?

Couldn't touch him at current price off his last two runs - want to see him back to somewhere near his best before backing him.

Plus Hartnell's last two 1400m runs look pretty good to me!

If it continues to have renewals like this year will be a Group 1 in no time

Byproduct of the Memsie recently becoming a group 1, trainers used to use that as a kick off for spring campaigns but now that it's more worthwhile to win it they want a first up run before he Memsie. Enter the Lawrence.

Pretty sure you were joking about it become a group 1 - I have no problem with higher quality racing starting earlier in the spring (or even winter in this case), but definitely don't need to see any more group 1s.

How can he get 58 in a MC having been well held twice already with much less

Hartnell finished third, carrying 56kg, with a gap to 4th. Almandin beat him but over 4 lengths but he got 4kgs off him - Almandin will carry a lot more this year.

Heartbreak City who ran second won't be back.

If Hartnell isn't topweight who is? The Japanese? Neither has won a group 1 as far as I know. Almandin? That would be a 6kg rise from last year.

Hartnell is supposedly the 6th rated turf horse in the world. 2 miles may not be his best trip but he's still very effective at it as last year showed.

I think he has to get 58kg based on the horses currently under consideration.

Hartnell finished third, carrying 56kg, with a gap to 4th. Almandin beat him but over 4 lengths but he got 4kgs off him - Almandin will carry a lot more this year.

Heartbreak City who ran second won't be back.

If Hartnell isn't topweight who is? The Japanese? Neither has won a group 1 as far as I know. Almandin? That would be a 6kg rise from last year.

Hartnell is supposedly the 6th rated turf horse in the world. 2 miles may not be his best trip but he's still very effective at it as last year showed.

I think he has to get 58kg based on the horses currently under consideration.
Does there have to be a horse weighted at least 58kg? Is that a rule?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't touch him at current price off his last two runs - want to see him back to somewhere near his best before backing him.

Plus Hartnell's last two 1400m runs look pretty good to me!
Yeah I'm kinda surprised he isn't favourite - I wonder if it's because James Cummings is gonna train him differently to Lol'Shea, who used to have them peaking first up and legless by Grand Final time.

So many first up horses at first glance both Caulfield and Randwick, might be better to keep some powder dry for a later date.

Yeah I'm kinda surprised he isn't favourite - I wonder if it's because James Cummings is gonna train him differently to Lol'Shea, who used to have them peaking first up and legless by Grand Final time.

So many first up horses at first glance both Caulfield and Randwick, might be better to keep some powder dry for a later date.

Harden up!

If James is anything like his granddad Hartnell will be scrubbed off to keep up in all his lead up races, look gone as a racehorse, before hosing up in the Melbourne Cup hard held with 58kg at 30/1.

Last night on Get On Richo apologised for something they did in the Mouawad Medal the week before, anyone know what they did?

Last night on Get On Richo apologised for something they did in the Mouawad Medal the week before, anyone know what they did?
Haha that episode isn't even on Racing.com anymore, weird.

From memory a few wife/women jokes, ending with Richo going "Someone always takes it too far". Pretty tame stuff if that's what it was.

Harden up!
I know right. I'm turning into Mr 50c Each Way.

I like Written Era in the 2nd, think she's a Group class mare. 2nd up last time should've crossed line with Silent Sedition, sting out no problem. Think she's better than Lyuba and that Oregon's Day might want this run + further. Just hoping not TOO far back from the gate.

No knock Jukebox but just feel Kobayashi is gonna be one of those always underrated in the market types, think he's a touch of overs so I'll back him too in R6.

Odds well and truly taken with this one (double figures) but Ozi Choice in the last if someone's looking to get out; don't like the kid with on-pacers but he knows the horse, think they might just let him roll and be hard to catch (patttern permitting??). DK Weir polish, should be peaking here 4th up.

Under the odds I have Vega Magic (big weight, not sure about that Goodwood) Revolving Door (munch munch) and Lyuba (honest but against proper mares here).

Will post terrible quad later if I decide I need to lose more money. Good luck campaigners. :thumbsu:

Welcome back Spring.
Great day of racing tomorrow.

Looking forward to seeing the returns at the racetrack of Catchy, Jukebox, and of course the wonder mate Winx.

Disappointed Dixie Blossoms got scratched in Sydney.

Think The Bartman will win the PB.
Got a few multi's going so let us pray.

All the best.

BHB too sharp for Hartnell over 1400m?
yeh he wins imo
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif

happy.gif
happy.gif

How the hell is formality not fave in the first at randwick. Best form by panels for mine.

Maybe they are risking the Melbourne form but seems a silly price

That'll do pig

Remove this Banner Ad

Racing August Daily Thread - Happy Birthday Nags

Remove this Banner Ad

Back