NFL Aussies in the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Well Done Ben Graham

Woodson said:
Glad to hear you're back mcgarnacle. Things can only get better >>> just ask JD who has been really patient / calm with all that has happened.

I think Vinny has one more win in him before he decides enough is enough.
Great character of the game.

Vinny will provide great practice for the opposition pass rushers. The only differences between Vinny and those tackling dummys they use in practice is Vinny can throw and the dummy is more mobile.

Vinny left the pocket on one play last year and needed oxygen to recover from that traumatic experience. I worry about his hips to as these old blokes fracture easily.

Seriously though Vinny will be alright if you can give him time to plant his feet and throw. Just make sure he knows which players to throw to though, he has a nasty habit to throw to anybody open including the defence.

'Instant Impact: 10 more rookies making favourable impressions fast' - Pro Football Weekly

Ben Graham made this list and they described his unusual 'drop punt' and 'mungrel' kicks... hahahaha.

2nd oldest rookie ever or something also.

Well done Ben.

Currently ranked 9th with McBriar 11th!

Graham has had to kick 30 times to date, nearly double that of the Vikes punter who leads the league. :thumbsu:

If he keeps this up hes looking at about an 8 year career & at least 8-10 mill US, nice.

Re: Pro Bowl ballot: Vote Ben Graham

Why would I want to vote for a jet and an ex-geelong player. Bugger that I'll vote for who I think deserves to get there. I haven't voted for Favre or Green for the last 3 years.

balmainforever said:
Why would I want to vote for a jet and an ex-geelong player. Bugger that I'll vote for who I think deserves to get there. I haven't voted for Favre or Green for the last 3 years.

Oh come on, he's a fellow Aussie. Anyway he deserves to be there as much as any other punter.

How good would it be if he was a pro bowler in his first year!

Considering that at the moment he's ranked 13th in the league in punting, it probably wouldn't be that fair to the 12 blokes above him.

I'm happy he's made it over there.

Well if you want to vote for who deserves to be there, then you better wait till the seasons over then ay,

Rankings dont mean much yet, anyone whos been following Ben knows in all but 1 or 2 games he has been outstanding and in their (Jets) top 5 players easily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,17724484%5E20322,00.html

Graham punts on huge windfall
04 January 2006 Herald Sun
Craig Hutchison
0,1658,5092846,00.jpg

BEN Graham's bold switch to American football is set to hit an extraordinary jackpot, with the former AFL star offered a seven-year, $7 million contract with the New York Jets.

Going well: Ben Graham limbers up.

But the former Geelong captain is set to take another punt. He will turn down the offer to take his chances after the National Football League's new collective bargaining agreement is struck.

Graham's representatives this week rejected the deal, hoping to cash in when the Jets relieve some of their salary cap burden after the March 1 deadline.

It is believed Graham might sign a short-term deal and wait for the NFL's collective bargaining agreement, which will include billions of dollars in extra TV revenue.

Industry experts believe the booming left-footer will earn significantly more than the $7 million offered should his meteoric rise continue.

Graham refused to discuss the contract negotiations, but said: "I want to be the punter for the long term for the New York Jets and it's great that they want me around.

"The experience has just been sensational."

The Jets, stricken with salary cap problems, will clear some room when they overhaul their roster after a disappointing season which yielded just four wins from 16 matches.

But Graham won't be going anywhere. The league's oldest starting-day rookie finished the season as the NFL's ninth-ranked punter, with an average of 43.7 yards.

His net average -- yards kicked minus the distance they are returned -- of 37.9 yards ranked fifth in the league and narrowly fell shy of a Jets franchise record that has stood since 1965.

The Jets have changed punters every year for the past five, so the seven-year offer is symbolic of his long-term importance.

"He's gotten better and will continue to get better," head coach Herm Edwards said recently.

"(He'll) be here for a while."

Graham, criticised for quitting Geelong at the end of 2004, could not contain his delight after risking everything on the venture.

"I would never have dreamt to finish in the top five for net average when I jumped on a plane back in March," he said.

"It was really hard early days to come over with no guarantees."

I find it hard to see the Jets will spend too much on him, i thought they would be putting some money into a QB and defensive secondary... not 'a lousy punter' although i guess they've struggled with crappy punters for years, they might think they've finally found a decent one.

Either way its great news for Ben, great first season.

Re: Nick Davis

Having watched him bomb a number of huge torps from FB over the years, I think David Wirrapunda would be a pretty good NFL punter if someone gave him a shot.

Remove this Banner Ad

NFL Aussies in the NFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Back