Australia getting the FIFA World Cup could be a great opportunity for the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you please remind me how much the AFL World Cup brings in to the country? Or AFL in general?

The AFL bring a lot more money into this state than the World Cup could ever dream of

Are you also unaware of what happened for the Sydney Olympic football competition? Docklands stadium was built, Gabba upgraded, Mcg upgraded. What did soccer get? hindmarsh stadium. (Which is now too small)
What's the Sydney Olympic football competition? MCG was upgraded for the commonwealth games, Docklands was built purely with private money, and the Gabba is not in Victoria.

Despite all that, AFL will benefit from a WC, it's likely Perth and Gold Coast will get new venues.
I hope so, and Adelaide and Tassie too:thumbsu:

Two points.

The Victorian Government has put forward alot of money in refurbishing many suburban club training facilities and the MCG. Not $280m agree, but to say it's nothing which is wrong and to then link this with why clubs are struggling is a long bow to draw.

Actually Collingwood if it get's it's way, will kick out Athletics from Olympic Park (Eddie being on both Boards, it'll probably happen). The idea was to build a replacement athletics track around Lakeside Oval. The Bubbledome is on an adjacent site.
About $10m all up for training facilities including public use and $77m for the Commonwealth games at the MCG. That's all in 150 years. The AFL has had to pay its own way fighting the MCC and the state government all the way. As for bringing in $5.3b - when will we learn? They always make grandiose claims like that when people are bidding for these things, but after the event it invariably turns out pear shaped. By the way, how much of the $5.3b is going into all these rectangular stadiums which will be built for the benefit of the soccer fraternity?

$5.3 Billion - so all the money comes directly to this state.

Alright, divide it among the six states: $800m for four weeks work.

LOL at the 4 weeks, lets say Australia hosting the WC is a once a century thing, AFL would easily generate that much money for victorians in that time frame:thumbsu:

Way to compare an ongoing league to a tournament. How much has the AFL International Cup generated for Victoria, exactly?

Alright, divide it among the six states: $800m for four weeks work.

Way to compare an ongoing league to a tournament. How much has the AFL International Cup generated for Victoria, exactly?

Just as trolled continuously on the Gold Coast board hoping that the GC would not get a licence because it might interfere with the GC soccer, now you continuously troll on the main board about anything to do with soccer.

Just as trolled continuously on the Gold Coast board hoping that the GC would not get a licence because it might interfere with the GC soccer, now you continuously troll on the main board about anything to do with soccer.

I would suggest that there is also a certain element who are reflexively against the round-ball game and automatically go in to bat against it though- such as that 'Haggis' guy.

I don't know about this stuff to do with the GC board, but trolling or not, RH seems to have made at least some significant points here IMO.

Anyway, this whole topic is about the World Cup and the round-ball game in general, yeah? So I would suggest he's being relevant to this topic.

As far as the overall argument goes, I think there are significant net benefits that would accrue to the AFL as a result of a World Cup being hosted in Australia.

Moreover, I don't particularly see why the AFL and the A-League should always be at odds either. I think you'd see substantial benefits to clubs from both competitions if there was a higher level of cooperation.

Why would I troll about the AFL's GC franchise? It's hilarious!

I'm looking forward to West Sydney, no, Canberra, no, ACT/NSW. It's going to be the comedy sequel of the year!

there's plenty to read there.......

at the very least and as i understand it, a wc host needs to provide at least ten stadiums in nine cities, i.e., only one city can provide two stadiums. from what ive heard from the bid officials, stadia need to have a minimum of 45k capacity, two with minimum 80k.

japan/korea was different due to the hosting arrangement, and brazil will have 12 stadiums due to the geographical size of the country. australia may possibly be required to provide extra stadia like brazil.

so....

1. Sydney - stad aust
2. Melbourne - mcg
3. Sydney / Melbourne
4. Brisbane - lang park
5. Perth - new stadium (multipurpose)
6. Adelaide - new stadium (multipurpose)
7. Newcastle - upgraded stadium
8. Gold Coast - upgraded Robina stadium / new stadium (multi purpose)
9. Townsville - upgraded stadium
10. Canberra/Hobart/Wollongong - all getting a gig if twelve stadia are required.

who knows about the final. it will be a political issue between nsw & vic state govts, federal govt, and the ffa and probably open to bidding. if one gets the final, the other may get two venues. but that's doubtful. the city to win the final will probably have the package of two venues to go with it.

The rule about having no more than one city with multiple venues is really more of a guideline :D. It is a rule designed for European countries where there is one huge city (the capital) then a lot of smaller cities who couldn't support two venues anyway. Australia is quite different in this respect, and FIFA aren't going to care if Sydney and Melbourne each have two venues.

Good list though - one other I would throw in there is Geelong. Skilled Stadium is a decent shape for soccer (relatively thin), and a 45,000 seat stadium in Geelong would be sustainable IMO. After the World Cup the Cats could play all there home games in Geelong, and although they might not fill the stadium every week it would be full for big games. It would have to be an oval, but most world cups have a few oval venues.

Here's my list: http://mattwintersfootballblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/2018-fifa-world-cup-australia.html

Good list though - one other I would throw in there is Geelong. Skilled Stadium is a decent shape for soccer (relatively thin), and a 45,000 seat stadium in Geelong would be sustainable IMO. After the World Cup the Cats could play all there home games in Geelong, and although they might not fill the stadium every week it would be full for big games. It would have to be an oval, but most world cups have a few oval venues.

Here's my list: http://mattwintersfootballblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/2018-fifa-world-cup-australia.html
stage three of the skilled stadium redevelopments brings skilled to 36,000, which is planned to be finished in about 10 years (stage one being the hickey stand, stage two (current stage) being the ross drew stand and stage 3 being the gary ablett terrace/brownload stands). They would just need to replace the doug wade stand and you would be above 40,000.

Hahaha

Has he really been on the GC17 board?

He's trying to death ride an AFL club that is yet to play a game....(and he's registered as a Carlton fan):D

GC17 40,000 signed up supporters is a super start. Obviously the support is far greater for an AFL team then the GC A-league franchise. The GC United kick off this year and yet it's been overshadowed by the 2011 GC17 AFL club in every sense starting with public interest. Even on Fox sports news for every GC united story there is about 5 GC17/AFL story's.

Your clearly upset that no-one gives a stuff about the GC United team because GC17 and AFL are stealing all the limelight.

Did anyone see the photo in the HUN a few weeks back?..... Security camera captured GC A-league players in a SEQ shopping plaza for a signing day with not a single soul interested as shoppers walked by them leaving them lonely behind the table.

He's trying to death ride an AFL club that is yet to play a game....(and he's registered as a Carlton fan):D

I wouldn't find the AFL's expansion nearly as amusing if it wasn't merely to try and cover all of soccer potential expansions and rugby's bases.

I look forward to seeing the AFL expand into Tasmania, Wollongong, Gosford and Newcastle.

GC17 40,000 signed up supporters is a super start.

What, you mean that free sign up thing?

Obviously the support is far greater for an AFL team then the GC A-league franchise. The GC United kick off this year and yet it's been overshadowed by the 2011 GC17 AFL club in every sense starting with public interest. Even on Fox sports news for every GC united story there is about 5 GC17/AFL story's.

Really? Because I have Fox Sports, and I rarely hear anything of GC17. I hear plenty about GCU.

Your clearly upset that no-one gives a stuff about the GC United team because GC17 and AFL are stealing all the limelight.

Did anyone see the photo in the HUN a few weeks back?..... Security camera captured GC A-league players in a SEQ shopping plaza for a signing day with not a single soul interested as shoppers walked by them leaving them lonely behind the table.

Good, I don't even like GCU.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See? It's like a reflex action for some people... :rolleyes:

Memo to 14- the key to making a worthwhile contribution to any discussion is to engage the brain first, THEN start typing...

I wouldn't find the AFL's expansion nearly as amusing if it wasn't merely to try and cover all of soccer potential expansions and rugby's bases.

I look forward to seeing the AFL expand into Tasmania, Wollongong, Gosford and Newcastle.

Geez, where else can the AFL go that's not intruding on your so called Soccer turf?

1. It's Rugby league turf

2. Whats to say Soccer isn't biting down on RL territory expanding into Far Nth QLD, GC, Wollongong, West Sydney and Canberra.

What's so amusing about AFL having 2 teams in QLD and NSW like they do in WA and SA?

Do you find having teams in Perth, Adelaide and Wellington a joke for the A-league?

Really? Because I have Fox Sports, and I rarely hear anything of GC17. I hear plenty about GCU.

Nice attempt................Still delusional

Geez, where else can the AFL go that's not intruding on your so called Soccer turf?

1. It's Rugby league turf

2. Whats to say Soccer isn't biting down on RL territory expanding into Far Nth QLD, GC, Wollongong, West Sydney and Canberra.

The whole country is soccer's turf; they don't have a base. That's the fantastic thing about the A-League; no suburban clubs to prop up. Every club is relevant to this day and age.

What's so amusing about AFL having 2 teams in QLD and NSW like they do in WA and SA?

WA and SA are AFL territory; QLD and NSW are not. Why not expand into New Zealand, South Africa, India, Thailand, Uzbekistan, Poland and Guatamala for that matter?

Do you find having teams in Perth, Adelaide and Wellington a joke for the A-league?

Should I? They're all quite stable. Perth will probably win the thing next season.

Why would I troll about the AFL's GC franchise? It's hilarious!

I'm looking forward to West Sydney, no, Canberra, no, ACT/NSW. It's going to be the comedy sequel of the year!

How is it Hilarious?

So what's your expert opinion on the GC United franchise then, is that Hilarious too?

Good to see your support for AFL football. How the Blues goin?.....Did you see them play last Friday night?

I'm sure the AFL will be happy if the West Sydney AFL club can average around 10k for the first few years. That's more then Sydney FC and some NRL teams will get in Sydney. That's not a failure to me RH. Maybe some AFL fans just have higher expectations, or maybe you should have a look at your own code.:rolleyes:

So what's your expert opinion on the GC United franchise then, is that Hilarious too?

If I liked them, which I don't, then I'd really be quite pleased with their progress.

I'm sure the AFL will be happy if the West Sydney AFL club can average around 10k for the first few years. That's more then Sydney FC and some NRL teams will get in Sydney.

Sydney FC already gets that many.

The whole country is soccer's turf; they don't have a base. That's the fantastic thing about the A-League; no suburban clubs to prop up. Every club is relevant to this day and age.

Yep, it's so relevant to this day and age. A bit like the NBL..............

So we should see the A-league dominate all over AFL and the NRL in years to come? Is that what your saying?

WA and SA are AFL territory; QLD and NSW are not. Why not expand into New Zealand, South Africa, India, Thailand, Uzbekistan, Poland and Guatamala for that matter?

Yeah because Uzbekistan is AFL Territory:rolleyes:

Don't be so naive RH........ It makes perfect sense to go to NSW with their growing population out West looking 10-20 years into the future. AFL would eventually have a 2nd team in Sydney one day, so start laying the foundations now. SEQ is gathering more momentum for AFL with 2 teams in the region now and it's population boom. More footy for QLD and NSW= AFL every weekend in both states. Some Reason's that will leave Canberra and Tassie out till the next expansion comes around.

And if the AFL have the big cash to invest in NSW and QLD over the next 15 years then why the hell not. Especially with big TV rights dollars on offer for an 18 team league.

Should I? They're all quite stable. Perth will probably win the thing next season.

Perth Glory and Wellington are as dismal as each other in every facet from off the field to on it. Didn't Adelaide nearly go under a few months ago, or they are still looking for an Investor?....same deal with the roar.

How can you call that stable?

stage three of the skilled stadium redevelopments brings skilled to 36,000, which is planned to be finished in about 10 years (stage one being the hickey stand, stage two (current stage) being the ross drew stand and stage 3 being the gary ablett terrace/brownload stands). They would just need to replace the doug wade stand and you would be above 40,000.

Exactly - wouldn't be that hard to bring it up to the required standard. One of FIFA's requirements is that the world cup leave a legacy for football, but the AFL will expect something in exchange for taking four weeks off during the World Cup - so I see no problems in having a couple of stadiums that leave a legacy for AFL.

A 45,000 seat AFL stadium in Geelong makes a lot more sense than a big stadium in Hobart or Wollongong I think.

Yep, it's so relevant to this day and age. A bit like the NBL..............

Tell me, who in their right mind would create a club for St.Kilda or Manly-Warringah today? A-League clubs are designed to represents today's relevant population centres.

So we should see the A-league dominate all over AFL and the NRL in years to come? Is that what your saying?

Maybe, I don't know, I'm not a prophet. But it's already happened or is happening in a lot of countries, notably Ireland and the Scandinavian states.

Don't be so naive RH........ It makes perfect sense to go to NSW with their growing population out West looking 10-20 years into the future. AFL would eventually have a 2nd team in Sydney one day, so start laying the foundations now. SEQ is gathering more momentum for AFL with 2 teams in the region now and it's population boom. More footy for QLD and NSW= AFL every weekend in both states. Some Reason's that will leave Canberra and Tassie out till the next expansion comes around.

Hang on, so it's just Western Sydney now? What happened to ACT/NSW?

And if the AFL have the big cash to invest in NSW and QLD over the next 15 years then why the hell not. Especially with big TV rights dollars on offer for an 18 team league.

Why would they spend all that money setting up a club, and then spend even more propping it up, if there's no solid evidence that it'll pay off?

And you don't know for sure that the right will be worth that much.

Perth Glory and Wellington are as dismal as each other in every facet from off the field to on it. Didn't Adelaide nearly go under a few months ago, or they are still looking for an Investor?....same deal with the roar.

How can you call that stable?

Wellington almost made the finals last season, while Perth have built one of the strongest theoretical sides in the league for the upcoming season.

As for Adelaide and Brisbane, Adelaide is now owned by the FFA. No different from how the Sydney Swans are owned by the FFA. Brisbane is still in private hands.

It's funny how Titans boss Searle and GC United owner Clive Palmer are always taking pot shots at GC17 and the AFL, and you never hear nothing in return from the AFL or GC17. It's as clear as day who's afraid of who in the battle for the GC. Even Searle has admitted AFL are a big threat in SEQ.

HILARIOUS!

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia getting the FIFA World Cup could be a great opportunity for the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back