Australia getting the FIFA World Cup could be a great opportunity for the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pull your head out of your arse mate, your making me sick.

What exactly is wrong with GCU? The fact that they have the strongest team in the league? Is it that they have the backing of a billionaire? Or is it that they have no competition in summer and only one competitor in the football market?

On your soccer turf ey?:D

Like I said, soccer has no base. For a sport with no base, little history and the entire media against them, they're doing pretty fantastic.

That would be a solid result for AFL..........:thumbsu:

So?

Got it in one.

If England get it in 2018, it can only be between us and the USA for 2022.

The smart money is on Lowy doing a back room deal to swing the Asian bank of votes to England for 2018 then to have Europe return the favour to us for 2022.

As soon as they went to two bids at once for 2018 and 2022, we just about assured of 2022 at least.

DST
:D

I don't know how they make these decisions or the order of who has what but it won't be us. I'm pretty confident that we won't be the main holder of the event. I will say that I'm not a follower of soccer nationally or internationally, but I do respect soccer/world football as a sport. I've been to two roar games in the last two years, but mainly because mates wanted to go (did enjoy them though). I take an interest in the national team and the world cups, but thats about it. So I'm speculating here thinking from a dollars and numbers point of view. I did sports marketing at uni so I have an insight into some of the factors that administrators will look at when they do these events.

I'm surprised from the list of contenders that there isn't a south american nation putting their hand up for it. When was the last time one was there? The last one was europe and the one before that asia, but what about the previous ones? I'd say based off the list you put up that its really going to come down to USA, Japan, Russia and South Korea.

Japan held it with South Korea hosting some games right? So I guess that rules out South Korea as well if you rule out Japan. If they do still consider South Korea then its a valid contender because it can share games with Japan and its hosted the olympics before so they can hold the huge events. I reckon the USA is a market they'd like to crack. The USA might not be a soccer power nation but it does have the great stadiums, a massive population, huge corporate dollars and massive media. We have none of this. We are small population tucked away in a corner of the world miles away from soccer heartlands. We are an absolute longshot because of this and that the time difference will mean that they can't show live games during prime time in Europe. That will cost them dollars for the TV rights. Its one of the reasons why the olympics probably won't be back to Australia for another 50 odd years. Its ratings were pretty dismal in the USA because of the time difference so I'd think that the FIFA administrators will factor that in their decision as well.

I reckon they'd like to see soccer as number one in Australia, but given we're a population thats less than 30 million and we're not a booming population (shrinking ?) there just isn't enough to justify holding their biggest event. Not much to gain other than some snaps of soccer stars on the beaches and a boost in numbers that would pale compared to what they could gain from other regions.

Tell me, who in their right mind would create a club for St.Kilda or Manly-Warringah today? A-League clubs are designed to represents today's relevant population centres.

There called 'Football Clubs'. You know, like Chelsea, Fulham, Tottenham, Arsenal, etc. Because they were created a long time ago Rutherford in a completely different era or century if you will. Yeah your right, Suburban Club's are so irrelevant these day's, thats why Collingwood are the biggest sporting club in Australia and Sydney FC are the shittest.:rolleyes:

Football club's with meaning, not mickey mouse franchise's like the A-league and MLS that represent and inspire nothing.

Maybe, I don't know, I'm not a prophet. But it's already happened or is happening in a lot of countries, notably Ireland and the Scandinavian states.

Scandanavian states, Ireland.........EUROPE!

Can't be serious?

Why would they spend all that money setting up a club, and then spend even more propping it up, if there's no solid evidence that it'll pay off?

And you don't know for sure that the right will be worth that much.

AFL spending years in the two states spending millions on growth and feasibility studies into the two markets to determine if it's worth it. Obviously it is because they are going in. And they have done it before made mistakes so don't expect anything like the bears or swans problems 20 years ago, sorry to dissapoint you. QLD and NSW government's and councils building the AFL two stadium facilities, do you think they would be investing all those millions if it wasn't worth it. Both parties have done lots of homework, it's plenty of feasibility studies and Big business deals. I'll take that over your opinion thanks. Of course they will be propping it up, thats part of the deal.

What exactly is wrong with GCU? The fact that they have the strongest team in the league? Is it that they have the backing of a billionaire? Or is it that they have no competition in summer and only one competitor in the football market?

- Clive Palmer is a w***er who knows nothing about sport and spends more time potting GC17 because he is envious of them. AFL coming to the GC is a big deal, the A-league isn't. He had the choice of gloating to his mates that he owned a sporting franchise. Options NBL or A-league. Good luck Clive, hope you enjoy.

- How can you call them the strongest team when they haven't played a game together as a team or a club. Another bold prediction on top of the fearless Glory going all the way.

What do you mean one competitor in the football market?

If they are in the summer then why does Clive worry so much about GC17?

Can't wait till GC footy club come in and blow Clive's boy's off the field for pure entertainment and action. That's what it'll come down to in the end for this battle ground. I'm supremely confident the AFL hold all the cards on that one. Clive will be at home chewing his nails when GC17 are tearing it up and exciting the fans.

Like I said, soccer has no base. For a sport with no base, little history and the entire media against them, they're doing pretty fantastic.

I've been told plenty of times Sydney and especially in the west is where soccer is strongest, juniors, participation, multi-culture etc

There called 'Football Clubs'. You know, like Chelsea, Fulham, Tottenham, Arsenal, etc. Because they were created a long time ago Rutherford in a completely different era or century if you will. Yeah your right, Suburban Club's are so irrelevant these day's, thats why Collingwood are the biggest sporting club in Australia and Sydney FC are the shittest.

The so-called "Collingwood Football Club" supposedly represents an area with a population of around 5000.

Football club's with meaning, not mickey mouse franchise's like the A-league and MLS that represent and inspire nothing.

So what's GC17, then?

Scandanavian states, Ireland.........EUROPE!

Can't be serious?

Soccer was nearly non-existent in those countries a few decades ago. Shows what you know.

AFL spending years in the two states spending millions on growth and feasibility studies into the two markets to determine if it's worth it. Obviously it is because they are going in. And they have done it before made mistakes so don't expect anything like the bears or swans problems 20 years ago, sorry to dissapoint you. QLD and NSW government's and councils building the AFL two stadium facilities, do you think they would be investing all those millions if it wasn't worth it. Both parties have done lots of homework, it's plenty of feasibility studies and Big business deals. I'll take that over your opinion thanks. Of course they will be propping it up, thats part of the deal.[/quote]

So you admit the AFL is expecting failure?

- How can you call them the strongest team when they haven't played a game together as a team or a club. Another bold prediction on top of the fearless Glory going all the way.

Both GCU and Perth have very, very good squads.

Why are you questioning me on this anyway? Not like you know anything about soccer.

What do you mean one competitor in the football market?

There is only one other top-flight football club on the Gold Coast apart from GCU.

If they are in the summer then why does Clive worry so much about GC17?

He doesn't. He just insults them.

Can't wait till GC footy club come in and blow Clive's boy's off the field for pure entertainment and action. That's what it'll come down to in the end for this battle ground. I'm supremely confident the AFL hold all the cards on that one. Clive will be at home chewing his nails when GC17 are tearing it up and exciting the fans.

Yeah, I'm sure the people of the Gold Coast look forward to seeing aerial ping-pong.

I've been told plenty of times Sydney and especially in the west is where soccer is strongest, juniors, participation, multi-culture etc

Soccer isn't strongest anywhere. They have to build their success, they can't just rely on their base or on propping up clubs like the AFL.

Yeah, I'm sure the people of the Gold Coast look forward to seeing aerial ping-pong.

I always find it funny these petty insults from soccer fans about the no1 football code in this country, although I suppose they have a point, who wants to see high skilled shootouts when you can watch 2 teams run around the field for 90+ minutes just kicking the ball along the ground back and forth to each other and on the rare occassion one of them will put it into the net and you could see a goal :thumbsu:

I guess it disappoints them all that Australians dont see much excitement in soccer, a few might enjoy seeing the national team do well but to sit down every week and watch games of kick to kick with little skill is boring, but hey its popular overseas so I suppose we are expected to follow Europe like sheep :rolleyes:

What are you talking about aerial ping pong for idiot. Did you watch tonights lack lustre boring affair at the G'?

Head tennis I thought i was watching for most of the night. In aussie rules the ball is kicked in the air to opponents, not back and forth like tonight.:D

the new stadiums built will be rectangular. FIFA has fairly strict regulations regarding oval stadiums, MCG will be the only oval involved in the bid. FIFA will choose the bid that leaves a lasting impression on football in that region, and building world-class rectangular stadiums will be apart of that process.

Forgive my ignorance, but what about the half of European football stadiums that are in fact athletic tracks? Stuttgart and Berlin had no problem hosting big fixtures in 06...

The so-called "Collingwood Football Club" supposedly represents an area with a population of around 5000.

F*** me. Then how come they are the biggest club in the land? Answer that.

So on your theory Perth Glory are a bigger club than collingwood even though they get 5,000 people to a game and Collingwood get 70,000.

So you admit the AFL is expecting failure?

OMG you are stupid:(

There is only one other top-flight football club on the Gold Coast apart from GCU.

There will only be 1 soon enough:D

He doesn't. He just insults them.

That makes sense.:rolleyes:

No champ, he's shitting himself.

Did you watch tonights game Ruth?

WOW. How exciting was that, thats sure to put GC locals into a coma:D

GC will embrace 'head tennis' I'm sure.:rolleyes:

Forgive my ignorance, but what about the half of European football stadiums that are in fact athletic tracks? Stuttgart and Berlin had no problem hosting big fixtures in 06...

Still, compare them. This is the Berlin Olympic Stadium:

800px-Olympicstadium2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah ...some of the soccer grounds around the world are oval and do have athletic tracks

Its not the fact that they cant play on oval stadiums but more that its much better to watch soccer from a rectangular stadium imo

Then why have you been trolling around on the GC board like a sneaky rat?

You are crapping your pants mate like Clive Palmer. No one gives too hoots about GC Utd so wanks like you and Palmer have to go around trying to create a bit of hoo hah. GC17 have already won the battle of interest so the exciting game of Aussie rules should put you and Palmer out of your misery come 2011 when people can only take so much of a bunch of useless soccer hacks playing footies like a bunch of pussies.:D

It was good to see the Mexican wave going at the MCG. Fans must have loved the game:D

Then why have you been trolling around on the GC board like a sneaky rat?

You are crapping your pants mate like Clive Palmer. No one gives too hoots about GC Utd so wanks like you and Palmer have to go around trying to create a bit of hoo hah. GC17 have already won the battle of interest so the exciting game of Aussie rules should put you and Palmer out of your misery come 2011 when people can only take so much of a bunch of useless soccer hacks playing footies like a bunch of pussies.:D

It was good to see the Mexican wave going at the MCG. Fans must have loved the game:D

You keep telling yourself that, Captain ADHD.

If trolling is a sign of fear, though, why do you spend most of your time going around to soccer threads and trolling them?

Nah, it was pretty boring. No tension. Goal, goal, goal, look at this goal, nobody cares, I scored again, who gives a ****, goal goal goal.

Ahhhhh Gotcha.

You have no idea about AFL mate because it was one of the games of the year and you ask anyone here. The intensity was amazing cause i was at the game.

What about tonights game, did you go and join in the Mexican wave mate.:D

Go back to trolling the GC board weasel or go home.:thumbsu:

Ahhhhh Gotcha.

You have no idea about AFL mate because it was one of the games of the year and you ask anyone here. The intensity was amazing cause i was at the game.

What about tonights game, did you go and join in the Mexican wave mate.:D

Go back to trolling the GC board weasel or go home.:thumbsu:

Ooh, did I hit a nerve? Don't like to hear that your game as no tension, no atmosphere?

You come on here with no interest in AFL, sneak around the GC board like some sort of freak and you only post when a thread relating to soccer comes up.

CREEP!

Yeah ...some of the soccer grounds around the world are oval and do have athletic tracks

Its not the fact that they cant play on oval stadiums but more that its much better to watch soccer from a rectangular stadium imo

Agree 100%, just thought it was somewhat contradictory that athletics stadia are acceptable but cricket ovals aren't.
But, as far as Perth and Adelaide are concerned, there are two alternatives: build mediocre sized rectangular pitches where nobody will be able to get tickets for the WC, or build decent sized Aussie rules grounds that will not be ideal for the WC, but will be able to accommodate far larger crowds.

Ooh, did I hit a nerve? Don't like to hear that your game as no tension, no atmosphere?

Atmosphere, amazing. Tension, amazing.

Tonights game at G' scored a zero for intensity and a 3 for the Mexican wave in the 2nd half for atmosphere.:D

Did you watch tonight buddy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Australia getting the FIFA World Cup could be a great opportunity for the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back